Profile for J. T. Head > Reviews

Content by J. T. Head

J. T. Head (Wales, UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best CPU on the market for the price, 7 July 2013
As part of a new build, I was debating whether or not it was worth investing in the new Haswell CPUs or whether just to go with the tried and tested third generation. I decided to go with Haswell and I can't say I'm disappointed.

My previous build had a Phenom II, which whilst good in its day was really starting to show its age. The difference between this and the Phenom was night and day, and is everything you'd expect from an i5. Performance compared to previous generations isn't hugely improved (~10% increase at most), but then 10% is better than no improvement at all. The stock cooler is actually fairly decent when I tried it out, although I was getting 70c on load which was a little bit too hot for my liking. Installing an aftermarket cooler (Evo 212 in my case) reduced this to around 55c on load, which is obviously a much nicer number. While heat isn't an issue, it does run quite hot (and can run pretty hot as the Tj Max is rather high on these), so don't be too alarmed if you're hitting pretty high temperatures. Haswell seems to run a tad hotter, but it's not by much.

Installation is as easy as any other CPU, however when putting the clamp down from the motherboard I did really have to force it down, almost to the point where I thought I was breaking it. It even left a small scuff mark on the metal casing on top of the CPU. However this is normal and so don't be alarmed if this happens, it needs to be secured tightly. Apart from that it's pretty much just a standard installation, fairly straightforward (and of course also comes with an included Intel sticker, lovely!).

Buying the K variant allows overclocking (as it's unlocked), and therefore is as easy as raising the CPU multiplier in the BIOS. You can then mess around with all the other settings if you're going for gold with your overclock (such as voltages and the clock speed), but if you're just looking for a mild to standard overclock then it really is as easy as it sounds. Some extreme overclockers have reported that the Haswell line isn't quite as good for overclocking as the older generations, but for the majority of people who just want to overclock to ~4GHz or less, then you won't have any issues. Just watch your temperatures, and also bear in mind that it's fairly common for one core to run 3-8c hotter than the rest.

As it's a new socket type and there are no revolutionary new features, it's admittedly probably not worth the upgrade if you already own a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU. However if you're doing a new build or are looking to upgrade from an older CPU, then it's definitely worth investing in a 1150 socket motherboard and getting the Haswell line for roughly the same price as previous generations. A ~10% performance increase is always welcome and you're future proofing yourself a lot more for the next Intel releases. Unless you do heavy video editing, rendering or modelling, you won't benefit from the i7's multitasking capabilities, and so this CPU is currently the top of the line for the price for gamers and power users alike.

Accurist Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet MB1006B

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, 7 July 2013
Had this as a Christmas present last year, and I'm wearing it on a daily basis and loving it. The metal is high quality and looks great, and after having a few links taken out it fits perfectly. Yes, the watch face is rather large, but that's what drew me to it. It stands out yet isn't overly large, and the face also has the date and day on it which is a useful thing to have.

You won't like this watch if you dislike large watch faces. However if you do then it's a brilliant buy for the price, and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Solid, 7 July 2013
There are a lot of cheap SD cards that are either unreliable, broken or just downright lying about the real storage space available. Fortunately, this is not one of them. The card passes all tests run on it, and speeds are great. I bought it so I could expand the storage of my S4, and I've not had a single issue with it. Data is copied back and forth without issue, apps and games run off the SD card just as smoothly as if they were running off of internal memory, and photos are taken and saved without delay. A great card for a great price.

3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2M
3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug 1.2M
Offered by cheap4uk(From hongkong,2-3 weeks delivery)
Price: 0.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Works, 6 July 2013
Decently sized cable, works exactly as advertised and for the price you can't complain at all. I'm not an audiophile by any means but for connecting my phone to my car stereo it works well and sounds great. Arrived promptly with free delivery from the seller. Recommended.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
Price: 24.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cooler, 6 July 2013
Cools really well for the price, knocking off around 10-15 degrees from my previous stock cooler. Relatively quiet too which is a bonus. It's rather tall however, and therefore needs a case with a fair bit of space to spare. Fans can be installed whichever direction you wish, however to get them blowing outwards you have to make sure that your RAM heatsinks aren't too large for the fan to fit. They were fine in my case, but it's definitely something to consider.

Installing this is a bit of a nightmare however. It's fidgety, the included cross mount is flimsy before you secure it in and is prone to slipping away when you're trying to install it. I found the included instructions awful and practically useless, and so a bit of searching on YouTube for an instructional video is recommended instead of trying to follow the tiny pictures in the manual.

Overall it's a great cooler, the price is next to nothing and it's very reliable. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, and installation can be frustrating. Once it's on however, it performs well. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a good cooler to reduce your temperatures from stock, or are looking to overclock without frying your CPU. A good buy.

HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 2) - Grey
HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 2) - Grey
Price: 65.09

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints, 6 July 2013
Does exactly what is expected. Good speeds and offers a great boost from 4GB of memory. The heatsinks on the modules aren't large, but I haven't encountered any overheating issues, and this in turn allows me to install an aftermarket heatsink/fan combination (whereas some RAM heatsinks are too large for a fan to be seated in that direction). I've not had any issues with any of the modules being unstable either.

RAM overclocking/greater speeds has a negligible effect on real world performance and therefore 1600MHz RAM is more than fit for any purpose. Overall a great purchase for the money, and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Investment, 6 July 2013
This was for a new build, and serves as the primary hard drive (with the OS installed). As it's not the largest of drives I'm using it for the OS and programs and games, which works really well. With Windows 8, boot time is almost non existent (< 4 seconds from post to desktop), applications launch without delay and loading times in games are ridiculously fast.

Installation was easy, although the package I received didn't come with screws, mounting plate or SATA connectors as it should have. This wasn't an issue as I was able to use the screws and mount that came with my case (along with the cable), however I'm not sure if this was just an oddity with my package. My only other complaint is that I do sometimes wish I'd have purchased a larger drive, as 120GB is eaten up quickly if you're not careful. A secondary hard drive for larger files (such as personal documents, pictures and music) is therefore pretty much essential.

Overall I'm very pleased. Speeds are great, price is decent and it performs brilliantly. A fantastic piece of hardware for a new build or an upgrade.