Profile for Mr. G. T. Redshaw > Reviews

Content by Mr. G. T. Redshaw

Mr. G. T. Redshaw "wolfblass" (Borehamwood)

Page: 1 | 2
Oliver! [DVD] [1968]
Oliver! [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Mark Lester

4.0 out of 5 stars Too dark and graphic for a U, but a great musical, 10 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Oliver! [DVD] [1968] (DVD)
This is a great musical in almost all ways.
The costumes, sets and song and dance numbers are great. Although I feel that Oliver voice was slightly week compared to the rest of the cast (you could argue that it highlights his quiet innocents).
My only beef with it is the rating, it should be a PG. The content is dark and having to explain to an 8 year old, why Bill Sykes did what he did to Nancy is not what I expect from a U certificate.
While older films seem less graphic than there modern day equivalent of the same rating, this one bucks the trend.
So in my opinion it is a good dark film has great music but an inappropriate rating.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2013 6:04 AM BST

Bruno [DVD]
Bruno [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sacha Baron Cohen
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch the film then again with the Commentary, 26 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Bruno [DVD] (DVD)
I was told that this was over the top and although funny in places it was too gross.
With such a recommendation I had to see what was so bad/good about this.
First viewing I was surprised at what he could get passed the censors. The views expressed by the American public were outrageous.
Then I watched it with the commentary and it was even better, the automatic and unconscious homophonic reactions from the public is frighteningly real.
So many stand-out moments including the black baby talk show, the cage fight, the baby model interviews etc.
Some set pieces went too far, more rude and less funny than they should could have been, but hey the majority was fantastic.

Tribe: Adventures in a Changing World
Tribe: Adventures in a Changing World
by Bruce Parry

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not enough detail, 24 Dec. 2009
Firstly I am facinated by the whole concept of Tribe and loved the TV documentary.
This is really fifteen short stories one per tribe. Which is great for a quick dip in, but I would of prefered more detail as each chapter seems rushed.
It reads like he is writing to a set number of pages and that means each tribe's story is a mere snapshot of the whole picture.

On the positive side he does tell you stuff which you were not aware of from just seeing the show. You appreciate the difficulties in arranging the visits, the occasional friction between Bruce and his tv crew, who are eating 'proper food' to his sometimes near starvation diet of unsavoury food.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2010 7:59 PM GMT

Roberts SOLARDAB-W SolarDAB Solar Powered DAB Radio wth Rechargeable Battery Pack - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Radio, 27 Aug. 2009
Firstly I am sceptical of the battery life claims. That said if I need to do an occasional mains charge thats fine with me. I like the sound and its easy controls. It saves on batteries or constant mains power so it wins for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2009 2:36 PM BST

Family Meals for a Fiver! (Good Housekeeping)
Family Meals for a Fiver! (Good Housekeeping)
by Good Housekeeping

5.0 out of 5 stars My most used cook book and only a week old, 25 July 2009
This is a very user friendly cook book. Good Housekeeping always have receipes that work and you can see the finish product.
I did 4 receipes in a week rather than letting the book gather dust on the shelve with the others.

Man on Wire [DVD] [2008]
Man on Wire [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Ardis Campbell

4.0 out of 5 stars Weirdly addictive, 25 July 2009
This review is from: Man on Wire [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
It has it all a strange mix of documentary, suspense, drama and probably a bit of artistic licience. Worth a watch.

Invisible Armies
Invisible Armies
by Jon Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing 3rd outing, 10 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Invisible Armies (Paperback)
I won't give away the plot, which is one of my pet hates in reading a review.
What I will say is that it is a much weaker offering than his 'Trail of the Dead' & 'The Blood Price'.
Too many twists and turns and far to unbelievable. It turns out all more like James Bond and the power of computers is too implausible.
What he normally does well is write with gritty realism, (you feel if you were there, you would do the same) but he lost his way in the later half.
I'm about to read his next book 'The Night of Knives' which I hope is a return to form.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2010 8:54 PM BST

207 Interview Techniques DVD
207 Interview Techniques DVD
Dvd ~ Expert's Guide: Interview Skills

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives you an edge, 24 Feb. 2009
This review is from: 207 Interview Techniques DVD (DVD)
I loved the format. Quick sound bites some obvious and some a real eye opener. Even the obvious points need making to re-inforce the basics which is one less thing to worry about in an interview.
I had an interview two hours after playing the CD, used some of the advice and am awaiting the results reasonable optimisism.

X-Men - The Last Stand [2006] [DVD]
X-Men - The Last Stand [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a second look, 4 Jun. 2008
When I saw this in the cinema I was disappointed and it would be fair to say it is the weaker of the 3 films.
I could be picky and say there were too many new characters with not enough character development (i.e. Angel) and there was less action.
However I chanced a second watch and it is actually rather good, not great but good. I does round off the series and the plot `although simple' is well done.
It is ironic that we critic an action film for not enough action, but also too much action at the expense of a good plot.

Snakehead  (Alex Rider)
Snakehead (Alex Rider)
by Anthony Horowitz

4.0 out of 5 stars A good exciting story but ..., 12 May 2008
This review is from: Snakehead (Alex Rider) (Paperback)
I found this an exciting book but was let down by the OTT ending.
The slow-burn start was great and more realistic than throwing Alex into a near death experience on page 1.
The middle was fast pasted and well plotted.
However the end was just too rushed and over the top for me.
I know it's only fiction and you need action for an action novel, but if has to be made reasonably believable to make fiction into great fiction.

Page: 1 | 2