Profile for Huwie > Reviews

Huwie "huwie_blue" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish - avoid at all costs, 15 Sept. 2013
There are some things you can buy cheap without worry, and there are others where you get what you pay for. It seems that electric toothbrushes fall into the latter category. These replacement heads are absolutely awful. They're smaller than the official Oral B heads, and the springs are considerably weaker. That means they break very easily.

When I bought my toothbrush the Oral B head lasted three months (in fact it would have lasted longer than that, but the advice apparently is to change every three months). These cheap things, however, are barely lasting a few days each. Despite buying them to save money, in the long run they will cost me far more than buying the official Oral B heads.

My toothbrush is also not holding charge as well as it used to - it could be coincidence but it only started when I switched to these heads.

The attraction of considerably cheaper replacement heads was too much to resist, but I've learned my lesson. I will not buy these again, and I urge everyone else to stay away from them too.

200 Paper Planes to Fold and Fly
200 Paper Planes to Fold and Fly
by Andy Tudor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 28 Dec. 2012
I bought this as a stocking filler for my daughter this year, and we have been thoroughly impressed with it. The book contains very easy to follow instructions across several designs, each with many patterns to choose from. Every design works well and most of the patterns have had a lot of thought put into them. The paper is also slightly thicker than 80gsm, meaning the resulting planes have exactly the right weight to give them the heft they need to fly well. My daughter is seven and had no problem with it at all. Soon our living room was full of planes flying around!

Big Brain Academy Board Game
Big Brain Academy Board Game
Offered by Celeste Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Big Brain Academy Board Game (Toy)
I wish I'd checked the reviews here before buying Big Brain Academy. As others have noted, the game is fundamentally broken because the answers are clearly visible on the cards; the red colouring does absolutely nothing to obfuscate the answer. It's so ridiculous I thought I was missing something, but no, this absolutely broken product really is being sold like this. Incredible. Don't waste your money.

Lifemax Ear Light 225.1 Ear Light With Twin Day/night Vision Leds
Lifemax Ear Light 225.1 Ear Light With Twin Day/night Vision Leds
Offered by Weinhold Feuerwehrbedarf

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 22 Jan. 2010
This light was not good enough for me. The way it fits to your ear is such that the light will always be pointing off to the left, which means it's never shining exactly where you're looking. This could easily have been compensated for in the design by having the light point to the right, or even allowing the user to adjust the beam themselves.

It's true that you can adjust the beam up and down but for my purposes I always had to have it pointed down. Due to the beam issues I cannot use the light to read in the dark, which is the only reason I bought it. In fact, since the beam is so focused I can't imagine it being much use to anyone. The unit itself seems sturdy enough, and despite always feeling like it's going to fall off with head movements, it never does.

The only reason I gave it two stars is because the beam itself is great. It's very bright and sharp, and comes on instantly. It also fits on my ear just fine when I'm wearing glasses. It's a shame it will never point to where you're looking, because otherwise it would have been an excellent tool.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2010 9:57 AM GMT

HTC Generic Carrying Pouch PO C300
HTC Generic Carrying Pouch PO C300
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pouch, 26 Nov. 2009
There isn't much to say about a phone case I suppose, but for what it's worth I am very happy with it. My HTC Tattoo fits very snugly into it and it looks quite stylish on the whole (in my opinion), complete with metal pseudo-clasp with HTC branding.

The case stays shut thanks to the wonders of magnetism so there's no fumbling when you need to get it out in a hurry, and there's a hole in the bottom to allow you to poke the phone up out of the top of the case. There are also holes in the sides which give access to the 3.5mm headphone socket and USB socket without having to remove the phone, for which I am very appreciative. As you can see from the images, the rear of the case sports hooks for your belt and a large clip for those who don't wear belts.

I don't have anything negative to say about the case; it's good-looking and does its job admirably. I haven't even accidentally called someone while my phone has been inside it!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Autumn
Autumn
by David Moody

1.0 out of 5 stars Just awful, 10 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Autumn (Paperback)
After buying into all the hype, I bought Autumn. How I wish I hadn't. It's absolutely rubbish in every way.

This has to be Moody's first book, because it reads like someone who doesn't have much experience. It's full of bad syntax, bracketed sentences that are so unnecessary and out-of-place as to make you squirm in your seat, and unremarkable characters for whom you feel no empathy whatsoever. The set pieces are dull. The dialogue is dull. The plot is slow and, even for a zombie novel, kind of silly and unbelieveable.

The entire story could have been told in no more than ten chapters, but is so uninteresting that I couldn't have cared less anyway. There's very little action in the book, which wouldn't be a bad thing if there was plenty more cerebral stuff like, you know, character development or something. Sadly, there isn't. The main characters of the story pretty much spend their time mumbling at each other and staring into space. There's no action of either the visceral or intellectual type here.

To make matters worse, the book has been incredibly poorly edited, too. Spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes litter the entire book. Moody even uses words incorrectly on a number of occasions. The whole thing is not only incredibly amateurish, it's also incredibly boring. It doesn't stimulate in the slightest, on any level at all. This is one of the worst books I have ever read and I bitterly regret buying it in favour of the other zombie novel I was looking at.

Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris (Ology Series)
Egyptology: Search for the Tomb of Osiris (Ology Series)
by Emily Sands

5.0 out of 5 stars A museum in your hands!, 7 Feb. 2005
I wasn't even aware that this book was supposed to be for children when I first saw it in the shops. Having seen me admire it, my girlfriend bought it for me last Christmas.
I adore it. I've never seen a book so lovingly put together and beautifully illustrated. Despite being short, a lot of work clearly went into this work. Reading it is like walking through a museum full of ancient Egyptian artifacts and treasures. An absolute must for anybody with an interest in ancient Egypt or novelty books.

Universal Combat (PC)
Universal Combat (PC)
Offered by Satsumo

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed ambition, 9 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Universal Combat (PC) (Video Game)
UC is one of the toughest games to rate. For the space sim fanatic, it could and should be a dream come true. A vast array of ships, from the lowly shuttle to the goliath super carriers can all be flown. Fighters can be taken out for a spin, tanks and ATVs and even naval units can be utilised by the player. Add to that a fairly large universe filled with planets, moons and space stations, plus the ability to play a campaign or roam the universe making your own story, and you ought to be in gaming heaven.
Except you aren't, and that's because the game has many flaws. The game is pretty bug-ridden, but it's not just that; 3000AD release patches pretty regularly that slowly address most of them. No, what's worse is that some of the ways in which various sections of the game have been implemented are disastrous.
Take ground combat for example. Try sending 10 marines down to a planet and then keep them together as an effective fighting unit. The game really doesn't make it easy to issue orders on-the-fly. Other examples include procedures that should be simple - like sending some shuttles down to a moon to deploy mining drones - but are overly tedious to actually make use of.
It's a terrific shame, because had UC been made by a larger developer (or with a larger budget maybe) it really would have achieved its ambitions. As it stands, though, it's a flawed gem. If you're willing to put up with various annoyances, some large and some small, and have a lot of patience, you really can get a rewarding game out of UC. Honestly. Most won't have that kind of patience though. Grab hold of the demo before buying this one.

200 km/h In The Wrong Lane
200 km/h In The Wrong Lane
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly, and surprisingly great album, 21 Mar. 2003
I didn't dare to believe that the album would easily match the quality of the single. To my delight, it did. Pretty much every song is a gem, from the haunting cover of The Smith's How Soon Is Now?, through the speedy and ultra-foot-tapping brilliance of Show Me Love to the chilling and breathtakingly beautiful Stars. Make no mistake - All The Things She Said was no fluke, 200 Km/H In The Wrong Direction is nothing short of a classic. As a sort of bonus, some of the songs are repeated; sung in the girls' native Russian. If you've never heard rapping in Russian before, you haven't lived! If you're thinking of buying this album, go ahead and do it. You won't be disappointed. If you enjoy decent music and lovely female vocals, you won't help but be charmed by this album. I certainly was.

The Songs Of Distant Earth
The Songs Of Distant Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars A true masterpiece, 4 July 2001
I may be an avid Oldfield fan, but I tell you this...you only have to be appreciative of music to love this album. It is, quite simply, astonishingly beautiful, the kind of music every sci-fi film wants as its soundtrack. The tracks' boundaries are blurred in typical Oldfield style and the album is sadly over before you know it, but what a time you have! I will never, ever get tired of hearing this piece. Music fans must buy it now or forever live in shame!

Page: 1 | 2