Profile for Steven C > Reviews

Content by Steven C

Steven C (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Webroot Internet Security Complete 2011, 3 user (PC)
Webroot Internet Security Complete 2011, 3 user (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Anti-Virus, 14 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had it for a few days now, I so far tried many different anti-virus software in the past, Norton being the worse and Avast Pro being the best. By good Anti-virus I mean something you don't realise it's there, I hate when I receive plenty of warnings and when it slows down my computer.
Webroot does slow down your computer, mine is a desktop with 4 gigs RAM and a Dual Core + 1g Graphic Card, so quite a fast one!
Webroot also takes sometimes to start which can be quite annoying since you get notifications every once in a while.
So I only give it 3 stars for a start (I also got some drivers removed by the antivirus), will update it later depending on how well protected my computer has been.

eSecure High Speed USB Card Reader for Digital Memory Cards - Wide Compatibility
Offered by eSecure

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for CF card, 9 Mar 2011
Like other reviewer I've had trouble managing the CF card reader part. As said the pins are very weak, I struggle to put my CF card for the first time! So if you don't plan on using the CF card then fair enough, for the other people then move on and get a better CF card reader

Nikon 28-80mm AF-G Lens  f 3.3 - 5.6 - Black
Nikon 28-80mm AF-G Lens f 3.3 - 5.6 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Sharp and practical lens - but fragile!, 9 Mar 2011
I bought as a do-everything lens, I got myself a D700, already have a prime 50 mm 1/8 and 35 mm f/2. It's a cheap lens for what it does, at 28mm you can get good quality/sharp wide angle pictures, it's a good lens to have in a urban environment when you don't want to switch lenses every 5 minutes (and when it's too dusty for that). Note that this lens is best used with FX cameras (D700, D3 series). It's good when you just bought one of the expensive camera and you can't afford another expensive lens.
I put only 4 stars for one reason, even though I loved the lens (easy of use and light), I broke it after only 3 days! My camera bag (crumpler) fell from only 30 centimeters high and the plastic mount broke, I had the same happening with my 35 mm and the lens didn't move. So beware of that as it's an important factor when you choose a lens.

The 4-Hour Body: An uncommon guide to rapid fat-loss, incredible sex and becoming superhuman
by Timothy Ferriss

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book but take it with a pinch of salt., 14 Feb 2011
If you haven't read Tim's blog or previous book (4 Hour week) you might be a bit put aside with his writing style. He might appear as a bit arrogant at first, but don't let yourself being discouraged by that.
This book is full of information and ways to improve your physical/mental condition. This is more a reference book as not all chapters might concern you.
Tim is an empiricist, meaning that he tries everything before taking any conclusion, this is not exactly a step by step guide but more a philosophy to develop regarding your body and how you feel, he gives you examples of what he tried, it's up to you to try that, tweak it and see which bits work the best. I like his approach as you don't have the same pressure as most of the diet.
I tried the low card diet and lost 2 Kilos on the first week, I was just going to go for a week as I don't like any type of restriction when it comes to eating/drinking etc... After seeing the effect I'm going to give it a go for 3 more weeks.
So to summarize, the good points about this book, you can read any chapter in no particular order, I like his style of writing, lots of anecdotes and funny stories. Another good point is that it works for me!
Bad points will be more about the time it took them to publish the British version (1 month later), which except translating dollars into pounds does not add much in terms of value. It's a bit of a pain to look for the products he talks about in the book and find it in the UK. We should have had a list at the end with the UK links to make it worthwhile. Especially when you had one month to get this ready!
ok rant finished, I will update this review in three weeks to see how it went. Keep it up!

Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light
Philips HF3330 goLITE BLU Energy SAD Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than coffee in the morning, 14 Feb 2011
This product can be used for several reasons, the aim is to reproduce blue light we get from the normal daylight (see outside your office). As we spend more and more time inside our body is missing out on this type of light which enables the body to produce a specific hormone. You know the feeling you have during the spring when you spent some time outside enjoying the sun? well that's what this device is doing to you, so for all the people like me who feel a bit depressed when winter comes, when you go to work it's dark and you leave work it's dark again, this product is the perfect thing.
I use it 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening, except when I had a good exposure outside with the normal light. In the morning you will feel better, it's like drinking a coffee except it doesn't stress you out!
It's also used to treat jet-lag but I haven't used it yet.
The product comes with all types of electricity plugs which you can use in almost every country (smart), it's not too heavy and you can use it without it being plugged (smart again). One warning though, read the notice before using it, don't stare the the light, it has to come from an angle otherwise you will feel a bit dizzy, I usually put it on my side for breakfast or next to my screen when I'm using my computer.
Overall 5 stars product, I also found out that I sleep better when I've used the product during the day (though do not use it 2 hours less than prior to bed).
I didn't get it from Amazon but from a friend who wasn't using it, so I got it a bit cheaper.

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM)
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (Mac/PC DVD-ROM)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first one but still entertaining, 20 Dec 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
ok, I had fund playing this game but not as much as you would expect when you have to wait 10 years for something like that. Game-play is good, graphism is ok as well. I played the campaign and finished it quite quickly, It could/should have been much longer.
Overall a good game but won't be remembered the way Starcraft 1 was.

Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
by James Gurney

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reference and Coffe table book, 20 Dec 2010
This book is about drawing from your imagination, it's focusing on the Fantasy type of drawing. It's full of great tricks and all a massive source of inspiration. It talk from the philosophy of drawing, the material he is using, the whole process of creating the drawing, quick sketching, colors matching etc....
It's really complete and accessible, I quite like the few stories he gives on the why of his drawings.
Also the quality of the book per se is Excellent, good colors and good quality papers. And of course way cheaper on Amazon!

Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
Food Rules: An Eater's Manual
by Michael Pollan

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, interesting and concise book on Food, 20 Dec 2010
I read the omnivore dilemma from the same Author. This book is a concise version of the afore mentionned. It's more focus on what to eat. The good thing with this book is that it doesn't restrain you from eating most of food available. It give you good rules of thumbs, all this is common sense as some reviewers said but sometimes you just need that written in a simple way to remember it properly.
One example is you have to know what the ingredients of the food you eat are. Ingredients like inverted glucose syrup (what is that exactly?)for example would never have been used by your Grandma when cooking, thus if she didn't use it back then why should you eat that.
It's a quick read and a good reference to keep around to refresh your Food Knowledge (Also read the other books he wrote and watch the documentary Food Inc.)

Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card
Sapphire 11163-02-20R HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent graphic card, 29 Nov 2010
I checked almost all reviews online to know which card I was going to get, I spent a few hours doing that. Compared to the price of the card and performance this is a really good bargain.
I had three pcie slots, on of them was taken with my wireless card.
Note that the card will take a good two slots as this is quite bulky, make sure you get a big enough mother board before buying it.
One other thing to do is to make sure you buy/check your power supply. At the least get a 450 Watts, that's what I got with one Hard Drive, DVD reader on it. I upgraded it to a 650 Watts one to be able to plug another harddrive, so far so good.
I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 with it (Dual Core 3.2 and 4 gigs RAM), full specs and work great.
It works with all of the new games, I had no problem with temperature either.
Also don't forget to get the last driver regularly as it improves performance and compatibility sensibly.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning product, 29 Nov 2010
When I bought it I was a bit sceptical about wether an ebook reader will replace books. First the product, it's excellend quality, strong and sturdy enough, the graphite looks good and serious. The buttons are well made and easy to access, it's light and fits perfectly in my coat's pocket. I'm a very big fan of this product. You get your book in 60 seconds through wireless, even less, most of the time it's instant, so no need to wait to delivery, no need to be at home waiting for the book to come, so much less hassle.
I'm using it in the tube, when it's packed I can't read a normal book as I don't even have enough room to flip the pages, with the Kindle, no worry! Did I say it fits in my pocket? Yes I know I repeat myself but just this factor makes it so practical and worth the buy.
It's only 109 pounds, compared to heavier and more expensive alternatives it's a no brainer.
I still buy books but only for books with pictures and colors, the rest I get it through my Kindle.
The only downside I would say is that the library, even though is the biggest around, is still small compared to the normal ones. I still can't get why publishing companies don't move to this market, they don't really have the choice, with the rate of people buying the Kindle they are going to lose money quickly if they don't act.
Also they need to work on pricing, I'm not going to put 10 or 15 pounds for a book that is not printed, that I can't loan or give to someone else. 3-4 pounds is ok for what you get, especially since most of them are not perfectly formatted for ebook reader.
The battery life is also amazing, I never bother checking it as it lasts so long, as long as you don't use the wireless constantly!
Overall it's a great product, can't wait for the new color technology to come out. Just wished more books were available, please stop your war between publishers and Amazon. It's pointless and only customers suffer from it. Thanks Amazon for this masterpiece

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10