Profile for Balloonfactory > Reviews

Entangled
Entangled
by Graham Hancock

1.0 out of 5 stars The emphasis is on pace and violence., 24 Jan 2014
This review is from: Entangled (Paperback)
I thought there would be far more spiritualism in this book. The concept is compelling, but the violence is relentless and not what I was expecting from hearing the author talk about his book on the radio.

Moreover, it feels as though the author is trying to shock me at every available level, by describing the consistency, smell & noise of someone defecating for example (he uses much ruder words.)

The nastiness is not balanced by any great attention to anything good or beautiful, and both female heroines display anger, blood-lust, and a thirst for revenge. The spiritualism of the Neanderthals is given a minor role - they are little more than shadows in the background & it was hard to remember which was which. We hardly meet the "blue woman" either, or experience her realm. All the characters are weakly drawn.

This book appears to be written for the kind of people enjoy watching very violent fast-moving films, although of course no movie would ever be permitted to show the extent of torture and execution detailed here (and there is great detail.)

The Secret Keeper
The Secret Keeper
by Kate Morton

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!!!, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Secret Keeper (Hardcover)
Stunning! Superb characterization (as in her other 3 books, you really get to know these people) with a good pace & expertly conceived plot. Wonderful descriptions of the English war years. Some strikingly poignant moments that made me sigh with pleasure at the complexities of life and people and the writer's skill at conveying them.

Kate Morton writes a truly memorable story with real substance and some (totally!!) jaw-dropping moments to boot. Drove my husband mad because I constantly had my nose in it :o)

The One (Finding Reality & The Awakening of Spiritual Awareness)
The One (Finding Reality & The Awakening of Spiritual Awareness)
by Keith Loy

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 7 Oct 2012
I immediately guessed that this must be self-published by the facts that it a) is not double-spaced & b) by the vast amount of spelling and punctuation errors, e.g: "Lye's" for "lies", and "cultures learning's" for "cultures' learnings". This strikes me as unprofessional and makes for, at times, a muddling read.

Although the author does have some good ideas and say some poignant things, the book is extremely repetitive throughout. At its worse it is rambling & unclear. For example: "We are the Reality which lies beyond, and gives power to, all of the thought stuff in our mind." It is a world apart from Tolle's quiet, elegant prose.

I also feel that there is some latent anger in the author; that he disdains those who do not share his world-view or who are in a different "place" from him. Shouldn't there be total acceptance in the soul of one who claims enlightenment (such as he is presumably doing)? For example, he says: " "You should try telling them that what they believe isn't true at all, but is just a few thoughts rattling around inside their mind [...]. And then prepare to take your guard as you behold the irritation growing within them right before your eyes." .......... Is this really the calm tolerance of a person who lives moment to moment, trusting in the greater divine plan? If we are one as he says (which I DO believe) he is in fact irritating himself ("What you give, you keep" - "A Course in Miracles".)

I am afraid I did not finish this book, but I did some checking on later pages to see if it looked as though it improved ... the same things that bothered me in the first 100 pages were still rife. I struggled very much after p.73 where he spoke about his budgie who used to bang its head against its cage until it bled, concluding "maybe it was his attempt at flagellation, I can't be totally sure." I am sorry to say that anyone who fails to see why a caged bird might be harming itself, and (apparently) does nothing to rectify the situation, is not someone whose writings I wish to immerse myself in.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2013 6:21 PM BST

One World
One World
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag!, 4 July 2012
This review is from: One World (Audio CD)
I first bought this album many years ago on cassette, having seen its TV advert - which suggested a wide variety of authentic music from around the world, including the wonderfully moving African prayer that was so memorably used to promote Heinz beans during the 90s. And yes, there are some wonderful tracks that give a real sense of places and people. However, it's as though the makers weren't quite sure what to do here: many tracks have a lot of very modern touches and heavy dance beats, and the last track of all is (rather incongruously) Apache Indian's Boom-Shack-a-Lack. So it is a mixed bag, with some rare jewels. Obvious solution: I just ripped all the good ones!!

Star Trek - Enterprise - Series 1 - Complete (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek - Enterprise - Series 1 - Complete (Slimline Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Scott Bakula

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Underrated Series., 2 Mar 2012
I don't normally write reviews (too busy watching Star Trek) and will leave the finer details to the dedicated others. But I really felt compelled to add my positive vote for this one.

I am so glad that I read the reviews and made this purchase. Somehow I had an preconception (from seemingly out of the ether) that Enterprise was a desperate and unworkable attempt at regurgitating an exhausted concept. However, despite T'pol's distracting pout, I believe this is in fact one of the stronger Treks (aw - she's okay really, for a Vulcan.)

The feeling of newness & exploration is exhilarating. Love the titles too. What a shame it got cut short!!