Profile for Walter Cogs > Reviews

Content by Walter Cogs

Walter Cogs

We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story

1.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Disappointing! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY (or time!), 17 Jun 2012
Firstly, being that the Holocaust is one of the most important historical events in history and is a tragic chapter of Jewish history, I spend copious amounts of time researching the subject. The scope of the crimes of the Holocaust are astronomical. For us to absorb the lessons of history, it is very important those who are trying to document it, do a good job. Unfortuntly, this "memoir" does not measure up, as it was one of the most boring things and ill-constructed things I've ever tried to read. It had no flow.

Can it be considered a Holocaust story or memoir? I don't think so. It is more of a transcription of family members telling their stories than anyting else. I am not sure why Sir Martin Gilbert would attach his good name to this clumsy effort. Because of its poor construction, I question its historical accuracy. It seemed the author sat with family members ,recorded their stories, and later transcribed them onto paper.I could not get through it. From what I was able read, it did not seem to correlate with what actually happened at the time and in the places described, when compared to actual scholarly works and narratives on the subject matter at hand.

Secondly, I understand sales are bad, so now that the author now tries to give this away for free. I had been receiving a lot of spam telling me to download a free Kindle copy. Unfortunately, I already had bought it (along with many other, but better, materials). If you get spammed as many other are, and the opportunity to download free copy, I do not suggest you take the advantage of it. As some have said, "you get what you pay for." From the other reviews I've read, it seems the Kindle version is even WORSE and more unorganized and scattered than what I tried to get through in the first places.

In conclusion, there's many mmore important narratives as well as scholarrly works about this time period. This sloppy transcript is not worth your time or effort. Tragically, I'm afraid such poorly constructed "memoirs" like this, which do not seem correlate with the facts of the time and places described, might even help to fuel Holocaust denial. That could possibly be the worst thing about this, that it is so disjointed and terribly done that some might think it's pure fiction. While I hope the author had good intentions, they seem misguided, as this effort itself is an injustice! I do not understand how someone wanting to document such an important part of history and even their own familiy history could be so careless in the formatting and construction of such an important event in history!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2012 6:10 AM BST