Profile for Maeve > Reviews

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
by Joanne Stepaniak
Price: 12.91

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas for tasty recipes - unless you want to avoid yeast!!, 25 Oct 2011
If only you could get the cheese flavour without the yeast, I'd be trying loads of recipes in this book. But so many of them contain yeast - I avoid yeast - so this book isn't for me. However if that isn't an issue for you - you will probably love this book - because it's full of non dairy, cheese type recipes. Hardly any photos though and to me photos are an essential part of a good cookery book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2013 5:50 PM GMT

The News Where You Are
The News Where You Are
by Catherine O'Flynn
Price: 6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, unusual novel - very thought provoking, 22 July 2011
This review is from: The News Where You Are (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It was unusual in that its subject matter was not the normal stuff of novels. I liked the poignancy of it and how Catherine O'Flynn managed to get to the essence of the issues she decided to concentrate on in the novel. I thought the ending was very well done - especially the final page - and I was particularly pleased with the outcome for Frank's mother. I look forward to reading other books by the same author. A thought provoking and satisfying read for me and a book I will remember.

The Ignorance of Blood: Javier Falcon
The Ignorance of Blood: Javier Falcon
by Robert Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Which actor do you think should play Javier Falcon?????..., 22 Jun 2009
A group of us have spent many an hour pondering which actor should play Javier Falcon if he ever makes it to the small or large screen. We are still struggling to cast this most intruiging and attractive Spanish Chief Inspector! Any suggestions?

Robert Wilson is a fantastic author and he had those of us that had read the first three books in this Javier Falcon series, waiting with bated breath for this the fourth and last one in the series. And now that I have read it, I am devasted to think that I will never encounter Javier Falcon in print again!! His back story, which is revealed in the first of the series - and his beautiful house in the heart of Seville, pull you into the novels. And then there are the well researched cases he works on which involve the inevitable murders but are far wider reaching than many detective novels. These books would better be described as thrillers perhaps. And Seville - as the setting for all four books - is such a wonderful place, so atmospherically described. I know people who have read the books and then gone to find the tapas bars mentioned in it in Seville!

Of course - as readers of series will know - so much of the enjoyment of the books in them is the continuation of previous threads. With each Javier Falcon novel you felt as if you were meeting up again with an old friend. If you read the books in order you will be richly rewarded with hours of enjoyment. I found The Ignorance of Blood totally engrossing. I was desperate to know how it would all turn out and spent hours deep into the night reading as just could not put it down. The plots aren't simple, they are very well researched and multi-layered. But that makes them all the more enjoyable.

Don't be put off by the some of the Amazon Vine reviews by people who have been sent the book to review but have not read the previous three novels. Start with The Blind Man of Seville and get hooked on Javier Falcon.

The Post-Birthday World
The Post-Birthday World
by Lionel Shriver
Price: 6.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The best modern novel I have read in ages, 30 Sep 2008
I just loved this book. I agree with the reviewer who said something like clear the decks and just read this book, because when I wasn't reading it I just wanted to get back to it. I was so pleased it was 600 pages long as I just didn't want it to end.

I thought it was so well planned, beautifully written and clever. I enjoyed Lionel Shriver's deep delve into relationships. The basic concept of the book is that in life, a crossroads may just appear - and the choice you make at that crossroads can totally change the course of your life.

You really wouldn't have to be into snooker to enjoy this book - but as I am, it enhanced my enjoyment of it even more. I loved the inclusion of real life snooker players such as Ronnie O'Sullivan and Stephen Hendry. It made me wonder what they thought of their portrayal in this book.

One tiny reservation - the cockney dialect was rather dodgy to say the least - but I could forgive Lionel Shriver anything in this book!

The ending - understated though it was - was thought provoking. I sat for a long time after I had finished the book, just pondering the way it ended.

Thank you to Lionel Shriver for writing this book - and I hope other readers will enjoy it as much as I did.

The Low-GL Diet Made Easy: the perfect way to lose weight, gain energy and improve your health
by Patrick Holford
Price: 14.23

5.0 out of 5 stars This might seem a little unusual..., 20 Aug 2008
..but I haven't seen this book. However from what I understand this is a new improved version of 'The Holford Low-GL Diet' which I own - and if it is I would say buy it - if only for the delicious recipes. And apart from being delicious, the ones I have tried were really easy and quick to make. Try Chicken Tandoori, Chicken Chermoula, Quinoa Tabbouleh, Sticky Mustard Salmon Fillets and Ratatouille Sausage Bake. Oh and I forgot to mention. You lose weight at the same time! Really! What could be better? And don't be put off by the fact the there are no pics - I had my copy of the book for a while before I started using it - probably because there were no photos. But once I started cooking from it I realised fantastic photos aren't necessary - the proof of the pudding is in the eating - as they say!!

In my copy of the original book the explanation about how the diet works is a bit long winded. Interesting though - just too long. I kept thinking - cut to the chase. But the 'Made Easy' bit of the title of this new version would seem to indicate that Patrick does indeed cut to the chase!

At the same time as buying the original book I bought The Holford Low-GL Diet Cookbook - that too has fantastic recipes. Patrick Holford and Fiona McDonald Joyce seem to know that it is important to create delicious food that doesn't take an age to prepare.

Simply put my understanding of the diet is that it is designed to make sure you do not get huge peaks of blood sugar levels. Examples of some of the simple rules are eat less carbs of the grain/potato variety and the ones you eat should be wholegrain, not processed. The less processed the better. Combine fruit with protein. And some fruits are lower GL than others eg all berries, pears. Obviously there's more to it than that but once you get into it it isn't difficult. And although it is called a Diet - it also gives you a blueprint for how to eat permanently in order to keep your blood sugar at a healthy level.

So if you are looking for a Diet book that really works, brilliant recipes and/or a healthy eating plan for life - go for it and enjoy.

Hands on Reflexology: A Complete Guide
Hands on Reflexology: A Complete Guide
by Andrew James
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal book for anyone studying reflexology, 28 Jun 2006
This book is excellent for anyone who is studying to be a reflexologist - or just wants to know about reflexology.

Having just spent a year travelling backwards and forwards to England from abroad to study reflexology - it was fantastic to find one book that contained so much of the information that I needed.

The photos and instructions taking you through both foot and hand reflexology procedures are very clear. The information in the book is clearly set out, well organised and illustrated so it is very easy to find your way around the book. There are revision type questions at the end of every chapter and at the end of the book which are really helpful if you are studying for the reflexology exam.

The coverage is very comprehensive and this is a book that makes reflexology very accessible.