Profile for Nick the Shaker > Reviews

Uncle Tom's Cabin or Life Among the Lowly
Uncle Tom's Cabin or Life Among the Lowly
by Harriet Beecher Stowe

2.0 out of 5 stars Lawdy lawdy, dat's sho' 'nuff fo' me!, 31 May 2016
Chillun, ah tells yuh dat ah sho' wanned to like dis ole book so much. In fac' ah wuz willin' to put up wid de patronisin' southern mushmouth talk...at fust. Den, after 'bout haf ways in ah says to mahsel' "Nick, life's too wang dang doodly sho't to persis' wid dis any longer." Den, ah shuffles mah ol' bones down to de cherridy shop an' donates de book to dem. Land sakes it's sho a pity, but peeple ahm bored to def I tells yuh!

Iggy Pop: Open Up And Bleed: The Biography
Iggy Pop: Open Up And Bleed: The Biography
by Paul Trynka

2.0 out of 5 stars Even excess gets boring sometimes., 14 Nov. 2015
I loved the descriptions of the burgeoning heavy rock scene in the Detroit of the mid/late 1960s. I was fascinated by the moulding of The Stooges because they and the MC5 are two of my all time favourite bands. But....well written though the book was, I felt it was kept in overdrive for far too long. One episode of excess followed another, and in the end it became boring and a little irritating - the book for me ceased to be interesting after the repetitive descriptions of Iggy/Jim and Bowie hoovering up the entire West Berlin cocaine stock. I have to admit that this is when I called it a day and consigned the book to the charity shop. Trynka is a decent enough writer but I suppose at the end of the day the subject didn't support such a lengthy book.

Three ZTE MF730M Ready To Go Mobile Broadband Dongle with 12GB Preloaded Data
Three ZTE MF730M Ready To Go Mobile Broadband Dongle with 12GB Preloaded Data
Offered by Zeto UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 14 Nov. 2015
Great product. Plug in and off you go - what more do you want?

Jack Bruce Composing Himself: The Authorised Biography
Jack Bruce Composing Himself: The Authorised Biography
by Harry Shapiro

5.0 out of 5 stars A fitting biography of a genius, 20 Aug. 2015
One of the best biographies I have ever read. Brilliantly researched and written with warmth and authority, Shapiro pulls no punches describing the often difficult life of a maverick genius. Utterly compelling, particularly with regard to the Cream / West Bruce and Laing periods. The world is poorer for the loss of a musician such as Jack Bruce.

A History Of Violence [DVD]
A History Of Violence [DVD]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, 20 Aug. 2015
This review is from: A History Of Violence [DVD] (DVD)
An overrated mish mash of a film - it felt confused and messy. Apart from the memorable scene in the coffee shop (featuring two genuinely frightening villains), I found it pretty much forgettable. Although I appreciate that Cronenberg's films are an acquired taste - and maybe I haven't quite acquired it - I finished watching with the feeling that he wanted to deliver a message of some sort but didn't altogether know what it was.

The Devil is a Gentleman: The Life and Times of Dennis Wheatley Dark Masters
The Devil is a Gentleman: The Life and Times of Dennis Wheatley Dark Masters

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a lovely bore., 29 July 2014
I used to devour Wheatley books by the yard back in the day, so I thought this long overdue biography would be right up my street. How wrong I was. Long winded, boring and I couldn't wait to finish it. What a pity - and what an opportunity missed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2015 6:12 PM GMT

The Snow Goose
The Snow Goose
by Paul Gallico

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 July 2014
This review is from: The Snow Goose (Hardcover)
I must have read this book half a dozen times down the years and it reduces me to tears every time. Gallico never really wrote anything after it that came close to this quality, but then in my opinion very few writers have. Wonderful.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Well, I suppose you get what you pay for, 16 July 2014
I've had these boots for three months now, and they're already showing serious signs of wear. Granted, they weren't top dollar and I do go walking on an almost daily basis, but I would have thought that the soles would have lasted a lot longer than this. They certainly look tough enough, but they flatter to deceive. It's all very well for the uppers to be bulletproof and watertight (which they are), but with walking boots - indeed any footwear - once the soles start to go then it's game over; it is very nearly game over for these boots. My previous two pairs of boots were Karrimor - another relatively budget brand. Whilst not as waterproof they were considerably more comfortable and I got almost a year out of each pair.

Laurie Lee: The Well-loved Stranger
Laurie Lee: The Well-loved Stranger
by Valerie Grove

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating beyond belief, 7 Dec. 2013
I quite like Laurie Lee's writing and thought that an interesting life like his would make for a good read. How wrong I was! This book is turgid and irritating in the extreme and - unusually for me - I fired it off after 300 pages. What continuity there might have been was shredded by continuous and annoying quotes from silly, pretentious, chattering letters to or from the subject. Even Lee's experiences in Spain, which should have been an integral part of the early book, was marred by pointless references to childish twaddle from from his myriad women back home. When I got to the thousanth "Kissy kissy darling heart" I barked my annoyance, pulled out my bookmark and filed the whole sorry mess under "never again".
Does Private Eye still do a "Pseuds Corner"? This book will keep 'em in business for years. Alternatively, the hardback edition is big and strong enough (physically) to prop up a wonky sideboard.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2016 8:09 PM GMT

Master and Commander
Master and Commander
by Patrick O'Brian

3.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it folks!, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Master and Commander (Paperback)
After god knows how many recommendations I decided to read the first in the series of Aubrey - Maturin books some years ago. To be honest I found Master and Commander a little stodgy and too full of maritime jargon and technical terms but finished it. All the same, something prompted me to give the second volume a go, and how glad I am that I did because I became totally hooked and ended up reading the entire series almost back to back! These are not only entertaining books but meticulously researched historical pieces and I am at the moment contemplating rereading them all after a gap of ten years or so.
So my point is this; yes, I can agree with some of the more critical reviews of Master and Commander but I think it helps if the first time reader were to view it as a template or a blueprint for what is to come, which is a rich and rewarding reading experience. Enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2