Profile for Some Bloke > Reviews

Content by Some Bloke

Some Bloke (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
I Want to Be Bacon When I Grow Up!
I Want to Be Bacon When I Grow Up!
by Ken Skinner

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless and unhealthy, 21 Oct 2014
Really unhealthy way to introduce this sort of topic to kids, it distorts reality and lies to them. Considering the cruelty of what real pigs endure, I suspect this book was meant to annoy people, although in reality the main objective will be to give kids some wired concepts which don't make sense. I hope nobody will buy it.

Is That it?
Is That it?
by Bob Geldof

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary life, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Is That it? (Paperback)
I've been meaning to read this book since being moved by the massive Band/Live Aid events of the 80s and am glad I got round to it.

The book follows Bob's life from the unfortunate beginnings in Ireland, through teenage, the Boomtown Rats years and then the charity work. It is a compelling read for so many reasons. Of course there's the big events, which left me rediscovering the reality that he was just an ordinary bloke who was moved, motivated and organised. It was also just one of the things he did with his life, the school, teenage and Rats years were also interesting.

I suspect it was co-written, although Bob is himself a man with a great turn of phrase and a wonderful vocabulary, so the various and diverse events are described well and the story moves in an attention retaining manner.

It struck me that 'St Bob' was no angel and at times he shows a negative side to his character. All fascinating.

In summary, read it to find out about an interesting life. Read to find out about some pieces of modern history. Read to be entertained. I'm very glad I got round to reading this book.

Once Upon a Number: The Hidden Mathematical Logic of Stories (Allen Lane Science)
by John Allen Paulos

2.0 out of 5 stars What?, 4 Jun 2012
Some statistical and mathematical application is fascinating, and the book opens with some really interesting angles and examples. I became disappointed as it seemed to run out of ideas, become very academic and in doing so lost my interest.

It seemed to me the main objective had been to demonstrate a high level of knowledge and some good reading, which was acheived, but this just lost me. I am a bit of a geek, I work with numbers and love spreadsheets. I've got two degrees in mathematical subjects, but couldn't get stimulated by this. Judging by other reviews this is not the prevailing view, but certainly my experience.

Life of Pee: The Story of How Urine Got Everywhere
Life of Pee: The Story of How Urine Got Everywhere
by Sally Magnusson

4.0 out of 5 stars A potted history of pee from a hundred angles, 6 Mar 2011
The subject is a taboo, and discussions of urine tend to be either scientific or juvenile. This is neither, and the result is a fascinating book.

Running A-Z style through a collection of anecdotes and historical revelations, the book brings together a spectrum of stories about urine. The value of this 'waste product' is undeniable as it has proved vital as a fertiliser, in the textile industry, making bricks for war refugees in water scarce areas and so many other ways. It makes a good case for being of medical value. Then there are the historical stories: often quirky, generally thought provoking.

This book IS funny, but it's also interesting. I also dare to believe that it makes a point: our whingy aversion to is as an unclean substance has unfairly made urine a taboo, and we could nd should be using this terrific stuff better. In years gone by, a cart would trundle down the street and we would empty our bed pans to enable industries to proceed. Should those days return?

Slow Man
Slow Man
by J M Coetzee

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow book, 26 May 2010
This review is from: Slow Man (Paperback)
Coetzee is a master of his craft and displays himsel to have outstanding insight and control of language.

'Slow Man' is slow, it's about normal people in the normal world, and this is never going to be the book that transfers to screen. However, the plot is one in which the writer makes unexpected things happen. Sometimes there doesn;t seem to be a point to them; no moral lesson or blunt irony, it's as if he's just telling us what happens. On occasion they are bizarre, but the events themselves are secondary to the thoughts and interactions of the main character. This cerebral language is captivating.

While reading this I found myself wondering where the story was going, considering potential conclusions and likely epilogues. On reflection they weren't relevant questions. It's a bit like a great painting you just look at and take in. Read, enjoy the journey, and let the writer tell the tale. Such is the voice of the storyteller, the journey is a good one.

The Final Reckoning
The Final Reckoning
by Sam Bourne

5.0 out of 5 stars Rattling good yarn, 20 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Final Reckoning (Paperback)
Wow! Absolutely gripping and entertaining, this is exactly what I hope for when I pick up a fictional book. It's readable and understandable without dumbing down and had a cracking plot explored successfully by interesting characters. The plot's a winner, keeping several topics on the boil and teasing the reader towards a discovery.

It's set aroundsome very dark discoveries related to WWII war crimes, and some of these aspects do make grim reading. It's not done gratuitiously, but may not be for everyone. Great use of language. No hesitation in reccomending this.

The Poet [2008] [DVD]
The Poet [2008] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Scarfe
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairytale in occupied Europe, 22 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Poet [2008] [DVD] (DVD)
The Poet was intended as a traditional, escapist romantic indulgence showing the two extremes - love & war.

It suceeds in providing an interesting and engaging plot, although the background story does stretch belief. The WWII scenario is used as an excuse for the extremes of behaviour, although in my opinion it gets away with it. The traditional approach and rather idealist and 'black and white' standpoint of characters and plot gives it a sort of fairytale quality - fine if you're not looking for something gritty and realistic.

The state of desperation among the displaced locals and those at the mercy of the war is conveyed well, and the sheer misery of the time avoids gruesomeness and shock tactics.

An unusual film for todays times, but one with validity.

Rocky Balboa [DVD] [2007]
Rocky Balboa [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 19 Aug 2009
This review is from: Rocky Balboa [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
There were a certain number of expectations I had with this film, and most were exactly spot on. This is what the Rocky series has always been about - rattling good yarns and tales of heroism by the indeatigable central character.

No disappointment here then. A great opening series of scenes with nostalgic paranomic views of the previous films and some touching insights into the relationships and fears Rocky has.

Then there's the call for 'one last fight' (didn't ruin the suprise for you did I?). Expect belief to be stretched a little, but go with it and enjoy the ride.

For me the strengths are the way the previous films have been intertwined, and the lovely use of language by Rocky - colloqiual poor man's philosophy and poetry.

Stuck [DVD]
Stuck [DVD]
Dvd ~ Stuart Gordon
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars B movie, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: Stuck [DVD] (DVD)
This was quite a disappointing movie that stretched belief without taking me to imaginitive places.

The plot was far fetched and unconvincing, and the characters didn't really fit with the events. It had me laughing in all the wrong places and sneering 'he wouldn't do that'. I felt I'd wasted my time, it just seemed silly.

The Stars' Tennis Balls
The Stars' Tennis Balls
by Stephen Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Another easy classic for Fry, 7 Aug 2009
Books this entertaining are an absolute joy, and I get the feeling that this was written very easily by the master writer Fry in a very fluid couple of weeks.

I'm hoping people will read this without knowing much about the plot, as I did and found the twists and turns were unexpected and captivating. There's no suprise to find it starts with a posh clever kid from public school in academic success, from there it unfolds beautifully. As always, Fry's language and imagination are wonderful.

Easy to read but not a dumbed-down novel. Read and enjoy!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12