Profile for Alex > Reviews

The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World
The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World
by Niall Ferguson
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and readable - and I learned something too!, 1 Dec 2013
This book really surprised me. I was bought it for my birthday and initially thought "uh, someone has bought me a history book I'll never read."

When I started reading it however, I found that it was a fascinating topic. I guess the fact that it's about money (something we're all interested in or worry about or wish we had more of it) helps. Ferguson also writes in a way that makes it almost like he's telling you about stuff as if he's there rather than in a dry, textbook-like style.

I may even buy some of Ferguson's other books!

The New Manager's Handbook: 24 Lessons for Mastering Your New Role (McGraw-Hill Professional Education Series)
by Morey Stettner
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Mar 2010
Why couldn't all advice books be like this one? At only around 50 pages in length, this could be considered more of a pamphlet than a book, but the advice is solid and very helpful. The author has clearly boiled down the essentials of being a good manager without padding it out endlessly (as so many authors do). One of the better advice guides I've come across aimed at new managers.

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking page turner of a book, 1 July 2009
I'd heard mixed reviews of this book from friends. Having finally read it myself, however, I am pleased to report that this is an amazing page turner - Galdwell has an amazing ability to tell stories that made me feel by turns uplifted and excited and even scared and suspenseful.

Do NOT read this book if you expect answers about how people can become more successful. This book focuses firmly on a handful of stories and how people's cultures and upbringings and circumstances have made them successful. I would not wish to generalize from this book to people in general.

However, DO read this book if you want to be thoroughly entertained and to think about your own upbringing and life. I can honestly say that I haven't read a book so quickly in a year or more. His best book so far.

The Charisma Effect: How to Make a Powerful and Lasting Impression
The Charisma Effect: How to Make a Powerful and Lasting Impression
by Mr Andrew Leigh

2.0 out of 5 stars Great title, shame about the content, 4 Feb 2009
The book is a confused attempt to impart what charisma is. My guess is that the authors have simply assembled a bunch of material that they have gleaned from elsewhere (I'm sorry authors if that's not true - that's just my impression). I didn't feel that there was anything new or unexpected or even useful that I could use. Perhaps I'm not the right audience for the book as the previous reviewer seems to have loved the book.

The Rules of Management: A Definitive Code for Managerial Success (Richard Templar's Rules)
by Richard Templar

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much better than the advice in fortune cookies, 14 Nov 2008
I was expecting solid advice on how to manage more effectively, delegate, and coach people. However, what I found was advice that seemed to have been pulled from fortune cookies. Trite, obvious, unhelpful.

I have to say that the book is well written - Templar has a lovely, fluid writing style. It is, however, a shame that the book doesn't contain any useable content on how I can actually become a better manager. One to give a miss to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2012 9:36 PM BST

Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want
Confidence: The Art of Getting Whatever You Want
by Dr Rob Yeung

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, practical, and helpful, 2 Nov 2008
**PLEASE NOTE: I gave this four stars initially, but on reflection tried to change it to five stars. Now the system won't let me! So consider this a five star book pls!**

I lost my job a few weeks ago and I felt extremely low. The circumstances were extremely 'challenging' - I shall say no more. I didn't want to go out or see my friends or speak to anyone. This book helped me a lot. There is a chapter on dealing with setbacks which helped me to gain much-needed perspective. In addition, I was feeling a surprisingly mixed bag of emotions, and one of the exercises helped me to work through my emotions. I was surprised at how much came flooding out, but once it was out, it really was 'better out than in'. Out of the thinking I've done in reading this book, I now have a plan to move my career in a different direction, which is making me feel in a much more positive frame of mind.

If you are feeling down but don't want to stay that way, I recommend this book.

Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships
by Daniel Goleman
Price: 9.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be a LOT shorter, 21 Sep 2008
I enjoy reading about social science and psycholgoy but I was disappointed by this book. The research is very sound and there are lots of chapter notes and references if that is what you are looking for. But from my personal perspective, this wasn't the book I was looking for.

Firstly, the book is very descriptive and tends to elaborate on lots of research in lots of detail rather than telling you the practical implications of the research. I want to know: What can I do to improve my 'social intelligence'? But that's not really what the book's focus is on.

My other comment is that the book could be about half the length. Goleman has a very flowery writing style and tends to string together really lengthy sentences that sometimes require reading twice.

If you want a book that covers the latest research in interpersonal communication, this book is for you. If you want a book that helps you in your life or career, I'd skip this one.

Made to Stick: Why some ideas take hold and others come unstuck
Made to Stick: Why some ideas take hold and others come unstuck
by Dan Heath
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading - I got stuck to this book!, 12 Sep 2008
I can't believe I'm the first person to review this book!

It's a shame that this book hasn't found a wider audience. I have seen this book positioned in book shops as a 'business' book. But it's actually a book that is appropriate for absolutely anyone who wants to know how to create more compelling messages. You could be a teacher who wants to make your lessons more memorable or a student who wants to understand what makes urban legends so virally believable.

The authors really practise what they preach. Not only do they tell you how to make your messages more 'sticky' and memorable, but they have written a book that applies their learnings. A great read - thoroughly recommended! So much so that I feel compelled to write a review - so please forgive me as this is my first ever review!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2011 10:51 AM GMT