Profile for Dawn Johnson > Reviews

Hasbro The Amazing Spider-Man Hero FX Glove
Hasbro The Amazing Spider-Man Hero FX Glove
Offered by MedClub

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift., 28 July 2013
Bought this for my cousin's daughter. She loves superheroes and dressing up. She loved it and played with it constantly. Don't buy fr your own children or it'll drive you insane but it is a great gift for other people's kids - ha ha ha.

Dinosaurs (Usborne First Sticker Books)
Dinosaurs (Usborne First Sticker Books)
by Sam Taplin

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, so I didn't notice there were 12 copies..., 28 July 2013
I still have 10 in my desk drawer. It's not bad and the little puzzles are pretty good. The sticker bit is a bit rubbishy, though as most are bits - eg a veloceraptor's arm to stick on the right page. You then colour in the rest - on recycled (grey) paper. So when you do bother, it looks weird and a bit naff.

Still, cheap and could keep children happily entertained for a spell - esp the puzzles.

Scissors 9in Pinking Shears for all dressmaking.
Scissors 9in Pinking Shears for all dressmaking.
Offered by Barnyarns

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 July 2013
They are just fab. Strong, make a clean cut, great with most fabrics. I'd recommend for anyone who ever does any fabric based crafts.

Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Much Ado About Nothing [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars An annual favourite., 28 July 2013
We teach this at school in y9 even though we no longer do the SATs, so don't have to teach it. The storyline is great for teenagers as well as adults - men vs women, idealised love vs reality, bottoms on display at the start, fake death, scandal, intrigue and it all ends with weddings and dancing. What's not to love?!
Branagh and Thompson are on fine form, the late Briers is, as always, excellent, Keanu Reeves is a bit wooden, but oh, so pretty and it is generally well acted with many levels and layers. It's funny that a Shakespeare is one of the few stories the class and I all love. Some bits go way over their heads but make me chuckle away, other bits, they find hilarious. You'd go a long way to top this in the Shakespeare films.

The Jane Austen Collection: 28 Classic Works
The Jane Austen Collection: 28 Classic Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Austentastic, 28 July 2013
Everything means EVERYTHING! Don't be disconcerted to find that some stories just stop. Not all of these were finished and some are referred to as 'fragments' but all are worth a read and add to the idea of the mind that wrote them. Austen was hilariously scathing and witty - and though some of her writing is downright silly - it is clearly a sarcastic mockery of some of the novels of her time. Very interesting read.

The Golden Asse
The Golden Asse

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not judge an ancient text by its cover..., 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Golden Asse (Kindle Edition)
Too many people are of the assumption that old books are prudish and a bit boring. This is the fault of a lifetime of Austen and Victorian lit (not that I don't love these) which many of our cultural ideas and period dramas are based on. If you read Chaucer or Shakespeare, there's a lot of smut and outright filth. Well, this ancient story really does tell an interesting tale that would have made a Victorian lady need more than smelling salts to revive her!

Don't be put off by the language style being a bit outmoded, just keep reading. A very, very good book and one which I will be keeping on my Kindle!

A selection from the lyrical poems of Robert Herrick
A selection from the lyrical poems of Robert Herrick

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it but I'd like more..., 28 July 2013
Herrick is massively underrated and I can only ever find selections online. This has some nice poems in. I'd rather have that than nothing if I only had electronic - but I think I will still cling lovingly to my 'Complete Poems of Robert Herrick' in leather with gold edging, about 50 years old and a bit loved, that I picked up for 50p in a charity shop...

The Haunted Hotel
The Haunted Hotel

3.0 out of 5 stars It isn't the Moonstone..., 28 July 2013
This review is from: The Haunted Hotel (Kindle Edition)
Not a bad read, I like Collins' style of narrative and everything is gloriously descriptive but I did figure where this was going pretty early on and...well, it got there. A nice read, tick it on the list, move on.

Poems of William Blake
Poems of William Blake

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Blake - what more can you say?, 28 July 2013
I love his poems but don't love carting loads of books about so this Kindle edition is fab. I don't have a fancy one with colour and pictures but would advise trying to get the illustrated version if you do. I have the book of it and it has both his illustrated manuscript versions of the poems and a typed version alongside. He was a gifted artist and the artwork really does make a difference to how you read the poems.

This version's fine but get the illustrated if you can.

The Decameron of Giovanni Boccaccio
The Decameron of Giovanni Boccaccio

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for Everyone, 28 July 2013
It is fantastic. I have owned it in paper form since I was 18 at uni and would never be without it though now it's on the Kindle I can take it places without needing a large bag for it!!!
Basically, plague breaks out (as it does...) and some fairly affluent people hole up in a villa until it has all blown over. They come up with the idea of telling stories to occupy their time, each contributing - so it does give a broad mix as Boccaccio writes from different character viewpoints and gives his characters stories to tell which are apt to them. It is likely where Chaucer got the idea for the Canterbury Tales from (esp as he was in Italy as an ambassador, I think, when this work would have been well known in good circles - and long before he wrote his own work).
You can just read one or two and put it down but it is worth the effort to get through the lot in a relatively short time as it is, essentially, one story.

Page: 1 | 2