Profile for Nicki Reynolds > Reviews

Content by Nicki Reynolds

Nicki Reynolds "Bookie" (London England)

Page: 1 | 2
Defending Jacob
Defending Jacob
Price: 5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for an easy holiday read, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Defending Jacob (Kindle Edition)
Having just read two very long and completely superb books, this was recommended to me a friend in the legal profession. It just isn't that convincing. The story is interesting but could have been better told and didn't really grip me. I found myself wading through it to get to the twist at the end that I felt had to coming. There are better ways to spend a few hours than reading this.

The Secret History
The Secret History
Price: 5.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get what all the fuss was about, 3 Feb 2014
It's not fashionable to diss La Tartt. But I do feel she's s a bit 'marmite'. As much as I loved her latest book, The Goldfinch, I really couldn't get on with this one. I tried to read it when first published all those years ago and gave up on it at that point. Having recently read The Goldfinch, I thought I must have been mistaken and I should give The Secret History another go. I should have followed my first instinct. I hated every character in the book, they were weak and extremely unpleasant. I didn't care about any of them either way and I found the story just plain nasty. It was also too long. For me, it was like wading though treacle but finish it I diid although there was nothing about the book or reading it that provided any positives for me. Strange huh because The Goldfinch is one of the best books I've read in my own recent history and I highly, highly recommend it -- although I know people who hated that one too!

The Street Sweeper
The Street Sweeper
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 4 Jan 2014
An incredible story beautifully told. Not easy to read due to the subject matter and there was one section that made me feel really ill. I almost stopped reading at that point but I felt compelled to continue and I'm glad I did. Historical fact fabulously interwoven into a fictional story of lives colliding. I'm sort of sorry I've read it because I'd like to be lucky enough to just be starting it. One of the best books I've read in a very long time.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of pure genius, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Kindle Edition)
I never got on with The Secret History so wasn't sure whether to go for this or not. It's a long book, best read on Kindle I think.

It is absolutely mesmerising. I can't believe how Tartt manages to place her characters into such complex situations and one has to wonder quite how she did her research! I haven't quite finished it yet - I've been reading it as much as I can during a two week holiday and I'm a fast reader - I can't put it down. In fact, I must stop here so that I can get back to it!

One of the best books I've read in a very long time. It would have been the very best book I've read in a long time but I also recently read The Street Sweeper which was also an incredible read. How lucky am I?

Before the Storm
Before the Storm
Price: 4.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Diane Chamberlain's best, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Before the Storm (Kindle Edition)
I've liked the three or four Diane Chamberlain books that I've read but this one was a bit of a struggle. I'm not sure why. I just didn't find the characters convincing or the story plausible. I'll give her another go I guess but I found this one quite off-putting.

Django Unchained  (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Django Unchained (DVD + UV Copy) [2013]
Dvd ~ Jamie Foxx
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarrantino at his amazing best, 20 Sep 2013
I wasn't expecting to like this and I did have to watch certain scenes from behind the sofa because like most of Tarrantino's work, it does contain a lot of violence. However ... brilliant story, fabulous performances from Jamie Fffffox et al (weakest performance was Tarrantino's cameo toward the end). Really gripping stuff with amazing production values. Every scene was like a painting and we watched in HD which made it even more compelling. Highly recommended but not for the faint hearted.

Seven Psychopaths [DVD]
Seven Psychopaths [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Farrell
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 4.00

2.0 out of 5 stars My husband liked this but I didn't!, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Seven Psychopaths [DVD] (DVD)
Him indoors had had his eye on this for a while. We took it on holiday with us and settled down to watch it one evening. I couldn't watch it through to the end. I found it really dull and unengaging with gratuitous violence and poor performances. Not my cuppa tea I'm afraid.

Arbitrage [DVD]
Arbitrage [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Gere
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Very unconvincing, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Arbitrage [DVD] (DVD)
I usually like Richard Gere films. This was dreary from start to the bitter end and I had to force myself to keep going after others in my household gave up and went to bed. Shame, I'd been looking forward to it.

Boys For Sale (Book 1): A Novel about Human Trafficking
Boys For Sale (Book 1): A Novel about Human Trafficking
Price: 2.04

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disturbing, 6 Jun 2013
It's very disturbing to think that this goes on but for my money, the book contained too much sexual content. I wasn't wholly convinced by the characterisation of the main protagonist. I know what the author was intending to do but it wasn't really for me and I won't be buying the next two in the trilogy.

Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories
Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Really interesting story map, 6 Jun 2013
It took a while to get with the way the story was written. Once I realised the different perspectives from which it was written, I really started to enjoy the book and then I couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, I'm not someone who can write long and learned reviews of books but this was a convincing collection of character studies. I tried to slow down toward the end so as not to finish it too quickly but unfortunately for me, it was too compelling.

Page: 1 | 2