Profile for Cheshire Cat > Reviews

Content by Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat "Maria" (Uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD]
Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth More
Price: 22.44

4.0 out of 5 stars A quiet Father Brown, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Father Brown Boxed Set [DVD] (DVD)
Different from the newer version that has just been shown.
Kenneth More portrays a quiet Father Brown, with no flamboyance at all.
I enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it again.

Hetty Wainthropp Investigates - Series 4 [DVD] [1998]
Hetty Wainthropp Investigates - Series 4 [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Patricia Routledge
Offered by RCDiscs.
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pensioner detective, 30 Mar 2013
Fabulous series and once again the amazing Patricia Routledge tops the bill. Nice drama with happy endings
Sidekick Geoffrey went on to star in lord of the rings.

Rosamunde Pilcher's September [DVD] [1996]
Rosamunde Pilcher's September [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Mariel Hemingway
Offered by rightpricediscs
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a plodder, 20 Feb 2013
This is a nice film to watch on a snowy day when you can't go out. It's pleasant and easy to follow. I like all the Rosamunde Pilcher films, good acting and pleasant scenery.

Rehearsal for Murder [DVD]
Rehearsal for Murder [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Preston
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 9.21

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Robert Preston, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rehearsal for Murder [DVD] (DVD)
Simple film but Robert Preston is at his best!
Rather nostalgic a film without any extra effects, just good acting.

Love Never Dies [DVD]
Love Never Dies [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Lewis
Offered by The Happy Zombie
Price: 6.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Has Died!!!, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Love Never Dies [DVD] (DVD)
I watched LND on DVD last night with my granddaughters, what a shock! We are all devotees of Phantom and were eagerly awaiting this sequel. It just wasn't meant to be.
How anyone could dream up the idea of the Phantom appearing in Coney Island was always a mystery to me but seeing it immediately reminded me of the end of pier shows at Blackpool in the 60's.
The scores reminded me of Phantom, Woman in White (which I saw over 10 times before it was taken off) and the rest of the score appeared to be a total mishmash of sounds.
My opinion for what it is worth: I will never watch this show again, totally cringe making. I saw shades of Barnum, Rocky Horror, Sunset Boulevard and definitely Woman in White.
This is only the opinion of myself and my girls, but to say we were disappointed is a total understatement, we are all fans of The Lord's work, he's the most talented show maker ever, but this LND absolutely proved to me that Love Can Die for the Phantom, it just did!
The cast were ok as singers and having seen nearly every UK Phantom in London and the touring show over the years, we've seen a lot of Phantoms. It wasn't the cast or the breathtaking scenery, it was sadly the story.
If the story had been believable everything else would have worked.
We have booked to see the original Phantom next month and we will forget this show and go and revel in the drama and passion that is our Phantom!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 21, 2012 1:45 AM BST

Guda and His Son
Guda and His Son

1.0 out of 5 stars Short story, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Guda and His Son (Kindle Edition)
Sorry I just didn't get this at all! Knew it was 9/11 but did not understand what the author was trying to say.

Nobody's Perfect
Nobody's Perfect
Price: 2.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to read, 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Nobody's Perfect (Kindle Edition)
I really liked the sound of this book, but found reading it difficult.
Badly edited, and laid out. Don't like to be harsh but felt this was written very amateurishly and the story could have been told in half the time.
Not for me!

The Lhasa Trilogy
The Lhasa Trilogy
Price: 1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional roller coaster, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Lhasa Trilogy (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished the first book in the trilogy and can't believe what a wonderful book I have read. It is an emotional roller coaster that is quite grim in parts and yet beautifully sensitive in others.
Would recommend this book whole heartededly, I am an avid reader of British Detective books, and got this when it was a freebie on a recommendation. Certainly not my genre but a most thought provoking read and cannot wait to begin the second book in the trilogy.

Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2
Yesterday's Gone: Episode 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 4 Mar 2012
I love post apocalyptic books and this series has begun amazingly. Loads of characters, story is told by all of them, a chapter for each of them. The Apocolypse all happens on the same day to everyone and at the end of book 2 you're still not sure where the hell it came from.
The writing is good and clean and very understandable, not full of jargon.
I got the first 2 books free and have just bought the 1-6 series of season 1.
It's gripping and the characters are so varied that there is someone for everybody to be interested in.
Great new series, try it for free if it's not your genre, the writers are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple)
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 1920's Detective novel, 3 Mar 2012
I found this writer a couple of years ago and she has written many many books, but this is for me her best series. Set in 1920's it is about the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple and her husband to be who is a hard working Police Inspector.
All the stories are British based usually in beautiful country houses. If you like books set in the 20's and 30's and are who dunnits, this will do it for you.
There are over 20 books in this series and once you meet Daisy and her Inspector boyfriend Alec, you can follow her adventures, marriage, children, and meet some wonderful characters who sadly today we don' t seem to find.
This book is nostalgic and people of a certain age will wallow in it, but I feel sure anyone who loves a British mystery will enjoy this series.

Page: 1 | 2