Profile for N S Cooke > Reviews

A Crown of Despair
by Jenny Mandeville
Price: 16.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Delight, 11 April 2013
This review is from: A Crown of Despair (Hardcover)
I absolutely enjoyed this book ... and I WILL read Manderville's next novel, and each one thereafter! The pages just slip by - a true test. And that is before you even consider that it is so elegantly written: a modern, historical classic. The writer presents each character's perspective in a way that invites you into the Court of King Henry; there's a lot of research here, and you get a sense of the politics and lifestyle of the age. It both frills and educates, and leaves you yearning for the mainstay character, Katherine. But I mustn't spoil it for you ... you must read it!

Wannabe A Writer We've Heard Of? (Secrets to Success)
Wannabe A Writer We've Heard Of? (Secrets to Success)
by Jane Wenham-Jones
Price: 8.68

5.0 out of 5 stars The Authors' Bible, 6 Mar 2013
This book has become my Bible - the first stop for each task in launching my debut novel. WJ has made me braver in my plans. I'd think: Could I do that? And then she'd confirm: Yes, you can! And then offer simple examples of how to proceed, and develop those first thoughts into areas I hadn't even considered. From creating Postcards, to Press Releases, to Bio's; lists for target readers to how to take a good authors' photo. She highlights the mistakes you can make so you can avoid the trips and hazards ... I wish I'd got the book earlier!

N.S. Cooke (Author 'Bandwidth - The Ghost of Devlin Mallard')

by Ernest Hemingway
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Read, 21 Feb 2012
This is a stripped down novel: not many characters, simple thoughts and dialogue, an education in the matters of the sea. It is beautiful in its simplicity. It's a short read, so those wanting to experiment with reading one of the greats, Ernest Hemmingway, it's a good title to start with. It's made me want to go on and read more widely. Next, 'For whom The Bell Tolls,' and 'Moby Dick.'

The Old Man and the Sea
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 10:54 PM BST

World Without End
World Without End
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining education! Very Good., 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: World Without End (Paperback)
I read Pillars, so naturally I had to read World Without End. I enjoyed it. Follet really follows each character as they develop from childhood to old age, or their untimely demise. And they hardly ever die easy. He leaves the clues early on in the text hinting at how they will develop; and sometimes reminds you later that '[he] told you so.' And if you want an education on the development of British rule of law, medicine and the plague, the Monarchy or architecture then his research is excellent. I love all that stuff! And these books are not stuffy, WWOE is jammed with adventure, blood lust, and yes, some raunchiness as well. So all in all, four-and-a-half, and if I can't slice one in two, I'd give it five.

Just one question for Ken: Why the desciption of the hair all the time? But I don't mind, honest!

Angels And Demons
Angels And Demons
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars His best book!, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: Angels And Demons (Paperback)
Better than the Da Vinci Code - loved that too - but this is better. Dan Brown should be a tourist guide as he wisps you wonderfully to Rome and again keeps you guessing. You get an education in Vatican politics, culture and history as well a sensational thriller. A must read, page turner.

The Husband
The Husband
by Dean Koontz

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, 30 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Husband (Paperback)
If you want a fast paced thriller that hooks you from the word go - this is a must read. I like Dean Koontz, read a lot of his old stuff, but stayed away for a few years. But after a few pages of 'The Husband,' I had to wonder why. It keeps you guessing and the pages whiz past as you keep turning to uncover a twisting plot.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Pillars, 29 Nov 2011
Really enjoyed it. It's a long, winding tale; and that's exactly how a friend recommended it. There are some shocks along the way - violence, thrills - some sex and language (but hey that's Ken Follett). Nice mix of characters, young and old, and lots of human power-games and plots. It's also historically researched. You won't look at another church or cathedral in the same way again. In fact, right after I finished it I paid a visit to Buckfastleigh Abbey. I also went out and bought 'World Without End' - that's the recommendation. Well done Ken Follett.

Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)
Alone (The 'Serenity' Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Alone - a compelling read, 21 Oct 2011
Really like it. Very well written down to earth supernatural, gritty vampire story with adult themes e.g. domestic abuse. I recommend it for the Kindle. You get a real sense of the heartache of Serenity Hathaway, the suffering she goes through - and will she or won't she make the right decision? The story compells you on. A page turner *****Five Stars.