Profile for JulianB > Reviews

Content by JulianB

JulianB

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MeCool Men's Canvas Weekender Messenger Bag for Travel Crossbody Sports Over Shoulder Vintage Military Overnight Casual Cross Body Side Beach Pack Bag Brown
Offered by MeCooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for my needs., 18 May 2016
Nice product. Lack of a handle is slightly annoying. Ideal for hand luggage on budget airlines.

The Lady in the Van
The Lady in the Van
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Expected more., 18 May 2016
This review is from: The Lady in the Van (DVD)
I should stress that my wife enjoyed this film much more than I did. The end was touching but generally I found the title character to be very irksome. I certainly wouldn't want her parked outside my house. I have always found Alan Bennett to be very effected and the actor playing him here certainly did an all too accurate impersonation. Still, I guess I should be grateful that very English films like this still get made and it was certainly a change from endless super hero nonsense.

Mens 33mm (1.25") Elastic Webbing Belt by Ashford Ridge (Black, XL)
Mens 33mm (1.25") Elastic Webbing Belt by Ashford Ridge (Black, XL)
Offered by HotShuffle

1.0 out of 5 stars Almost useless., 5 April 2016
No eyelets (you have to make your own) and far too elasticated. Looks good but that's about it.

Us
Us
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 21 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Us (Paperback)
David Nicholls writes such readable books and this is no exception. Funny and yet painful at times, there are so many scenarios to identify with. One sequence, involving a quiz night, is so true to life. Very enjoyable: I await the film version.

Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker Series)
Fall From Grace: David Raker Novel #5 (David Raker Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic slow burn., 17 Jan. 2016
I read 117 pages of this before putting it aside and reading something else. Nothing much had happened by the time I temporarily gave up but once I resumed it all kicked off. The plot then became pretty fast and furious, if improbable at times, but it made for an absorbing read. I'm now about to start the next in the series.

45 Years
45 Years
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange little film., 14 Jan. 2016
This review is from: 45 Years (DVD)
I think my wife and I expected more from this, given all the hype and 5 star reviews. It definitely looks like a film that's been made for T.V. and then released theatrically. It's a very English story, which is always nice, and the acting is superb, of course. However, it didn't really do it for us - perhaps we expected too much?

A Slow Death
A Slow Death

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going., 5 Jan. 2016
This review is from: A Slow Death (Kindle Edition)
I found this quite hard going, despite the setting and an interesting main character. I've really enjoyed the John Carlisle books but somehow I can't see this turning into a similarly successful series.

The Manchurian Candidate [Blu-ray] [1962] [US Import]
The Manchurian Candidate [Blu-ray] [1962] [US Import]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic., 5 Jan. 2016
This is quite possibly the greatest political thriller of all time. Great performances, terrific direction and the nightmare brain-washing sequences are still brilliant. However, I can't say I noticed any additional benefit from the blu ray transer. My old SD dvd seems just as good. A classic all the same.

The House of Redgrave: The Lives of a Theatrical Dynasty
The House of Redgrave: The Lives of a Theatrical Dynasty

4.0 out of 5 stars What a family!, 4 Jan. 2016
Whilst I agree with certain other reviewers, who complain about a big chunk of this book being devoted to Tony Richardson, this didn't spoil it at all for me. My word, what a family the Redgraves were, especially Sir Michael - not sure I'll ever be able to watch The Browning Version quite so comfortably again. Only Lynn seemed vaguely normal, while Corin and Vanessa were clearly unbalanced about their political views.
All in all a darn good read.

A Very British Coup
A Very British Coup

3.0 out of 5 stars okay., 17 Nov. 2015
I think I expected this to be more like the T.V. version but it was very tame by comparison. Still an interesting read though.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4