Profile for P > Reviews

Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)
Far Cry 3 (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Nov 2013
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I very rarely get a game I fail to complete - particularly when it's from a series I've really liked - but I realise I've given up on this one. The game play is a bit frustrating - at times ridiculously easy, at times ridiculously hard - objectives are a little unclear and some set pieces are a bit staid.

Having said that, the graphics are good - a big improvement on 2 - and the story line is quite engaging for a game.

Maybe I'll return to this .. but it has been a couple of months already.

MEElectronics M6P over-the-ear sports earphone with inline mic and remote
MEElectronics M6P over-the-ear sports earphone with inline mic and remote

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Going .. Amazingly, 19 Nov 2013
I've had these maybe 9 months. Which is actually pretty remarkable for me. Other earphones I've had - even expensive ones like Shure's - have never survived anywhere near that long. Already, that's enough to win these a recommendation from me.

That is not however, where the good news ends: they also sound good and are pretty comfortable - important as I tend use them for several hours every day. Obviously, the sound isn't up with the Shure's, but it's plenty good enough and these were a third of the price. They compare well with other earphones of similar price.

Again, the Shure's were more comfortable as they come with foam tips, but having said that, the M6P's rubber tips are fine, providing OK - though not outstanding - sound insulation. After a while, the tips do tend to get loose and therefore have a tendency to fall off. Of course, other earphones may also have this problem IF they ever lasted that long.

I like the over-ear fit as it seems to help keep the earphones in place - they hardly ever fall out. I'm also happy with the mic - people hear me fine without the need to hold the mic to my mouth.

But back to that longevity. Admittedly, I have been more careful with these than normal, always storing them in the case they come with and never 'naked' in my pocket, but even given this, they've been surprisingly good. Sound and comfort is easily good enough. They're relatively inexpensive.

You can't really go wrong.

Seagate STBV2000200 Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 desktop 3.5 inch external hard drive - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars So far, So Good, 19 Nov 2013
I've had this maybe a year. I've used it primarily for backups and once for recovering another drive, so not a great deal. It has failed once, showing up as unformatted when re-connected. This is almost certainly because it wasn't properly dismounted, so my fault.

While not the prettiest drive I have, it seems to work well enough, it's certainly quick enough, the only issue is that it's VERY noisy - a lot noisier than any of the other four external drives I use. Having said that, it is double the capacity of even the largest of the others.

Recently, I connected this to the TV for recording. Unfortunately, so far I haven't used it enough to comment on suitability, though I suspect the noise is potentially going to be an issue.

Apart from the noise, this has been as good as any other external HDD I've used so I'd happily recommend it.

Simple Human 30l Butterfly Bin - Brushed Steel
Simple Human 30l Butterfly Bin - Brushed Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Years (or is it 5?) and Still Going Strong, 19 Nov 2013
As the title suggests, we've had this long enough to forget exactly when we got it - at least four, maybe five, years ago.

So far, the only very minor issue has been that some 30L bin bags can be a bit too narrow around the top and therefore difficult to fit - and easy to tear. Easily resolved by buying other bin bags.

It's a bin. It (still) looks good. It (still) works well. I can highly recommend it. There's not a whole lot else to say.

Infiniti JT990 Programmable Cycle
Infiniti JT990 Programmable Cycle

4.0 out of 5 stars One Year - and Much Sweat - Later, 19 Nov 2013
Had the bike about a year now and we're pretty pleased.

Set-up was fairly straightforward without too many fiddly bits or opportunities to forget pieces - it did take a couple of attempts to get the handlebars straight, though. All done in under an hour.

The console is easy to use, there are plenty of program options available (though we only tend to use a couple) and the bike feels solid and comfortable in use.

So far, no complaints. Highly recommended.

Samsung UE46F7000 46inch 3D LED SMART TV Built-in Camera WiFi 800hz
Samsung UE46F7000 46inch 3D LED SMART TV Built-in Camera WiFi 800hz

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial Impressions, 19 Nov 2013
Had this TV a couple of weeks now and so far, we're pretty impressed.

The TV replaced an ancient 32" which - despite a MASSIVE bezel - was quite a bit smaller, so the new TV did feel very big initially. We soon got used to it though, possibly helped by the fact it's very, very pretty - though the Samsung HW-F751/EN 2.1 Soundbar (310 Watt, SoundShare, Bluetooth) silver does cover the rather cute stand.

Picture quality is outstanding. Even SD is great. The software to expand the SD picture rocks: so good that at a quick glance, SD can sometimes be mistaken for HD.

Unfortunately, the built-in HD Freeview didn't register any of the HD stations for us. This is disappointing, but I'm not sure it's a issue with the TV as the box we had on the same socket previously didn't pick up the HD stations either. Having said that, a Sony TV on a socket nearer the aerial does pick them up.

HD picture quality (from the apps) is .. HD. So superb.

The default picture setting was, as I'd read in reviews, a bit too full on - overly bright and artificial - but changing the preset to either Natural or Movie fixed it for us. Doubtless things could be further improved with a bit more fiddling with the (extensive) options.

As the F7000 is so thin, we were expecting pretty poor sound - we even bought the soundbar mentioned above - but I have to say, the sound is actually very good - easily as good as any other TV we've had. Having said that, adding the soundbar does completely transform watching movies (and a lot of TV): the kind of rumbling base it produces simply wouldn't be possible from a TV speaker.

Set-up was reasonably straightforward, though I'm very glad it's not something regular as all the 'typing' and scrolling through options was very tedious. Not helped by the fact we had several re-tries in the hope of picking up HD.

I had read that Samsung have an Android app that helps - particularly with the typing - but when I actually came to look for it, I couldn't find it anywhere. This may be because I have a Nexus rather than a Samsung phone.

Another set-up related gripe was that, having had a decade or more of connecting devices to computers and having them automatically install, I didn't expect to have to tell the TV I'd added a soundbar. More a problem with me than the TV, of course. Once I'd done that, it just worked (I guess it being a Samsung soundbar might have helped)

The apps we've used (various catch ups and LoveFILM) have been fine (though they did show up issues with the broadband, now resolved). The quadcore processor does help make the experience relatively slick - certainly it's WAY faster and therefore way more useable than on our (1 year old and not quadcore) Sony.

Having said that, there are some frustrations: the opening 'page' of the Smart TV selections has - as you'd expect - a small section showing what you're currently watching. Bizarrely, when you move off the home page, this disappears and the sound goes off. Very irritating: I really don't understand what Samsung were thinking - our Sony doesn't do this.

Another irritation is that when you connect an external HDD to the TV for recording, it insists on reformatting the drive so it can't be used for anything else. I happened to have a spare 2TB drive, but I would have liked the option of using this for other things rather than have it sit around doing nothing most of the time.

Overall though, apart from a few niggles, the TV has been superb and we're delighted with it. It's only been a couple of weeks, so I can't comment on longevity, but with that caveat, I'd happily recommend it.

Samsung HW-F751/EN 2.1 Soundbar (310 Watt, SoundShare, Bluetooth) silver
Samsung HW-F751/EN 2.1 Soundbar (310 Watt, SoundShare, Bluetooth) silver

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, 19 Nov 2013
Had this for a couple of weeks now and so far, we're pretty impressed.

We bought this alongside a Samsung ue 46f7000 lcd led 3d 800Hz smart TV, wi-fi integrated, quad core, 4xhdmi, ci +, dvb-t2/s2because we'd heard the sound on flat screen TVs is a bit pants. Actually, the TV doesn't sound bad at all .. until you add the soundbar - wow! What a difference. Real rumbling lows, sparkling highs, solid mid-range. A totally transformed experience when watching movies - actually, when watching many TV shows, too.

The sound bar is pretty good looking. The status lights look very cool, as do the valves (though their delicacy is a bit of worry). It is quite tall - whichever way around you have it - but it doesn't block the IR on our TV. And the status lights are repeated so you get them whichever way around you have the bar - a nice touch.

The woofer box is not so pretty - basically, it's just a big silvery box with zero attempt made at style - but can be hidden away behind furniture without adversely affecting the sound (though our wooden flooring may help with that). We tried that for a couple of days but it meant having the woofer on a separate power supply which we kept forgetting to turn on. It's now been moved next to the TV where it can share a power socket so everything comes on together. If you leave things powered up all the time (haven't you heard of climate change?!), I guess this would not be an issue.

Set up took a while because of rather poor instructions - and some l-user error ;). The soundbar instructions implied we needed a cable and it took a while to find the bit of the TV instructions about actually having to tell the TV about the soundbar rather than simply connecting the two and having the TV work it out. Once the TV was told about the soundbar, it just worked. Via Bluetooth. No cables required. The soundbar comes with a mic on a loooooong wire for auto-setup. That took seconds to complete. We then moved the woofer without re-doing the set-up and without adversely affecting the sound, consequently I feel the sound set up mic is a bit of a gimmick.

In summary, we're pretty happy. It wasn't cheap and some reviews didn't rate it too highly, but for non-audiophiles like us, it's a pretty impressive bit of kit. We'll have to see how well it lasts.

HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax)
HP Officejet 4500 All-in-One Printer (Print, Copy, Scan, Fax)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware, Software - Yeah, Not So Much, 10 Aug 2012
Revised after a year of use ..

Not a bad looking machine - though it is very black and shiny so more to my taste than the better half's - which does a lot for the price.

The set up was reasonably straightforward - except for the fax, which refused to work with a single phone line for phone, broadband and fax. Not that I tried too hard: I haven't needed a fax at home in at least a decade.

With the printer networked - again, very simple to set up - finding the printer and printing from Office worked fine, producing nice, clean, clear pages that, to my eye, were every bit as good as laser printed. Ink though, is VERY expensive. Fortunately, the cartridge is common enough so I did manage to find a 3rd party supplier that was about half the price. The machine has spotted this, though and keeps insisting the cartridge needs to be lined up, despite the fact it works fine.

Scanning also worked, producing good, clear, colour scans, however the scanning software is frustrating - very slow and not user friendly. It is not easy to find simple, basic features - like, for example, how to specify a file name. Even when you find things, they can turn out to be missing obvious features: for example, you can only specify a file name prefix, but the software insists on adding a number suffix. For a single scan. There is no way to turn this off - a little tick box would have been great.

It also took me some time to work out how to do multi-page scans. In fact, these work reasonably well, though I haven't yet found the option to save all the pages into a single file.

Otherwise, I'd say it's a pretty good machine and a reasonable purchase: it handles printing well and it does produce very good, detailed scans. I didn't try faxing. The networking capability is great, though I think the WiFi version is probably the one to go for.

Overall, after a year I'm pretty happy with this machine. It has been reliable (though with limited use) and I did eventually figure out the software. I'd recommend it.

RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
RHA MA350 Aluminium Noise Isolating In-Ear Earphones - 3 year warranty
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

2.0 out of 5 stars Longer Term Review, 12 Aug 2011
I have reviewed these very positively before, however since then I had a few problems with the funnel of the earpiece separating from the back plate. Apparently, this was a production issue with early versions.

RHA were very good about replacing the headset every time, however after I think the 3rd set (I forget exactly how many I had), I gave up and went back to a cheap and cheerful set of headphones.

Hopefully, the production issue has now been addressed as - while they were working - they were good earphones at a very reasonable price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2013 9:53 AM BST