Profile for GuitarPhil > Reviews

Content by GuitarPhil

GuitarPhil

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 Premium Black Top Flip PU Leather Case with Touch Screen Stylus, Screen Protector And Polishing Cloth
Offered by One 2 Three online

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbeatable value!, 18 Mar 2013
This is a perfect fit for the Galaxy Ace and it seems to do a really good job of protecting the phone - I've dropped mine several times and it has suffered no damage!

The 'extras' of the screen protector, cleaning cloth and the stylus are almost a free bonus and are actually useful.

iKlear Screen Cleaning Kit for Apple Products - 8oz
iKlear Screen Cleaning Kit for Apple Products - 8oz
Offered by eoutlet-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Does a great job, 24 Oct 2012
Costs a bit but should last for ages as you need so little to clean the iPad screen - and it does an amazingly good job. I also used it on my LCD monitor on the desktop PC too.

Eggheads (Nintendo DS)
Eggheads (Nintendo DS)

3.0 out of 5 stars Eggheads or Tetes des Oeufs?, 24 Jan 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Pardon my French but it's related to the Sudden Death questions. As another reviewer pointed out, you have to spell the sudden death answers exactly correctly or you are marked wrong. This is bad enough but several answers (canape, mobius strip and Gotterdammerung being examples) require you to spell the word complete with foreign accents but with, it seems, no means to enter the accented character provided in the game. When an Egghead happens to get one of these questions, they of course spell it with the letters accented correctly!

This is just sloppy coding by the programmers and I am sure they also could have utilized one of the many algorithms around for allowing slight mis-spelling of words.

I bought this as a Christmas present for my wife - we are both big Eggheads fans - and while she has spent hours and mostly enjoyed the game, these couple of points have caused her a lot of frustration. She has emailed Avanquest regarding the problem but has not (yet) had a reply.

Hercules GSP38WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger - Wood Base
Hercules GSP38WB Wall Mountable Guitar Hanger - Wood Base
Offered by RST Music

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant idea - perfectly implemented, 20 Sep 2011
I just got around to hanging some of my guitars on the wall rather than having them in their cases behind the sofa and various other locations. The missus was complaining about the room they were taking up and it was also a bit of a hassle to get them out and play them and so I have tended to just stick to the one guitar most of the time. Now they're on the wall right beside me it should encourage me to give a few more the playing time they deserve.

Anyway, I used the Hercules GSP38WB swivel hanger. The unique feature they have is the patented auto-grip system. As you lower the guitar onto the yoke it automatically closes two arms to ensure the guitar won't fall off the hanger. It also swivels so that no matter what shape the headstock is, the guitar always hangs vertically.

I any of you was thinking of hanging your precious babies on the wall, I can highly recommend the Hercules hangers. Just make sure that you screw into the wooden studs if you are going to hang on a plaster board wall. You can use special plugs for plasterboard/dry wall but I don't think I would trust them as I'd hate my toys to wind up smashed on the floor. Hercules recommend using the studs in their instructions.

They suit nearly any type of guitar and they keep the guitar clear of the wall so you won't risk scratching the finish - or the wall!

Now I have room for a semi-acoustic in my collection!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Seasonic S12II-520 520W ATX12V Standard Power Supply Unit-  Bronze
Seasonic S12II-520 520W ATX12V Standard Power Supply Unit- Bronze

5.0 out of 5 stars Seasonic PSU - Very Quiet, Loads of Connectors, 19 Jan 2011
I bought this to replace the PSU in my DELL Dimension 9150 as it's fan had started to get very noisy and I was afraid it would suddenly grind to a halt and fry the circuitry!

The Seasonic PSU fits in directly in place of the original DELL unit but, as the Seasonic has a mains on/off switch which the DELL doesn't, I had to slightly bend a couple of little metal tabs on the rear of the DELL case to get it to fit. This was quite easy, just needing a small pair of pliers.

The Seasonic comes with numerous connecting cables, more than I needed, so it should suit a wide variety of mother boards, SATA drives, DVD and graphics cards etc. The cables are all sheathed and the connectors seem to be good quality. I bundled up the unneeded cables making sure they didn't foul anything important.

The hardest part of replacing the PSU was getting the old cables out as the cables for the SATA drives (mounted on the floor of my tower case) passed under the CPU cooling/heatsink unit and I couldn't get them pulled out. Even if I had managed there is no way I could have fed the new cables back under in the small gap between the cooler and the bottom of the case. In the end I had to undo two screws holding the cooling unit and it then hinged back so I could get the old cables out. Rather than route the new cables in the same space it was easier to replace the cooler and route the new cables around the outside of it.

While the heatsink was hinged back I took the opportunity to vacuum all the dust off the cooling fins. I was amazed how much crud there was built up on it so cleaning it up should help keep the CPU cooler.

The computer powered up perfectly first time but when I put the case back together I got a 'blue screen of death' referring to an NTFS error just after Windows started up. I found that the side cover of the computer case had pushed against the power cable on the C: drive and displaced it slightly. I had to bend the new cables (they are quite stiff) a bit to let the case close without pressing against the connector on the drive. Since then the computer has worked flawlessly and the new PSU fan is much, much quieter than the old one was even before it started misbehaving :-). The new fan is a much larger one as well so I think it will help the PSU run cooler.