Profile for Meringue > Reviews

Meringue

Lightfoot Guide to Foraging - Wild Foods by the Wayside
Lightfoot Guide to Foraging - Wild Foods by the Wayside
by Heiko Vermeulen

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem for anyone who loves the countryside, 15 Dec. 2012
A small but perfectly formed guide, packed with useful and fascinating information about wild flowers and plants, including their culinary and other applications. Great photos and descriptions for easy recognition (and to help you avoid the bad ones!), and as the previous reviewer has mentioned, handily sized for taking out and about with you. I don't aspire to self-sufficiency, and will no doubt continue to source most of my salads from the supermarket, but it adds a wonderful extra dimension to a country walk to be able to identify and even nibble at things along the wayside, and to proudly bear a few treasures home.

PURE ONE Classic, Portable DAB/FM Radio - White
PURE ONE Classic, Portable DAB/FM Radio - White

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor quality product :-(, 10 Aug. 2012
I absolutely hate my Pure radio. It constantly squeaks and splutters - and that's when it even manages to pick up stations at all... I so wish I'd got another Roberts instead, as my old one always had perfect reception in exactly the same position as the Pure radio is now. A few other really irritating features: a floppy aerial which won't stay in position, and the volume has to be reset every single time it's switched on as it reverts to a default level.

The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers (Pantley)

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me..., 27 Sept. 2011
I tried this approach, but we just weren't getting anywhere with it - maybe it was just a bit early. A month or so later I bought the Nappy Fairy book (which I think is only on Kindle)and that method really did the trick. I think the timing helped, but it was also a more fun way of dealing with potty training, making it all part of a game that my daughter wanted to play along with too.

The Nappy Fairy - potty training in 7 days
The Nappy Fairy - potty training in 7 days

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to a frazzled mum's prayer!, 26 Sept. 2011
Potty training had become a real battleground for me and my daughter - fraught and tearful on both sides. Thought this book sounded too good to be true, but worth trying out at such a low price - but it really did the trick. The companion story book is sweet as well, and helped ensure that my little girl was excited and involved about moving on to big girl pants.

Wicker Shopping Basket For Bicycle
Wicker Shopping Basket For Bicycle

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Aug. 2011
The basket was of much poorer quality than I'd expected. In the picture the wicker is quite a dark colour (and looks as if it's treated or varnished in some way), but the one that was delivered to me was made of cheap-looking pale wicker. As it was fairly low cost I've used it as a gardening basket rather than go to the bother of returning it; it really wasn't good enough to use on my bike.

Practically Perfect
Practically Perfect
by Katie Fforde

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, turgid, plotless: don't waste time on this book, 22 July 2010
This review is from: Practically Perfect (Paperback)
I'm not sure whether it's entirely fair to submit a review for a novel which I didn't finish, but given that I very rarely don't read books through to the end, I think it's significant that I couldn't get beyond a third of the way through this one. (I even stuck with Santa Montefiore's dreadful 'Last Voyage of the Valentina' in the blind hope that it might eventually get better...)

It's hard to believe that many people could find the minutiae of DIY interesting, the writing is stodgy beyond belief, and the book had revealed no discernable plot at the point that I gave up on it. However, I'm interested to read below that even previous fans of this writer didn't like this effort, so maybe I shouldn't write her off altogether.

Last Voyage of The Valentina
Last Voyage of The Valentina
by Santa Montefiore

1.0 out of 5 stars Six hours of my life I'll never get back..., 6 April 2010
By quite some way the worst book I've read this year - or possibly even this century. Shockingly badly written, weakly plotted bilge. A third rate Jilly Cooper rip-off without the wit or charm.

Tell Me Something
Tell Me Something
by Adele Parks

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun holiday read, with a few irritations, 2 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Tell Me Something (Paperback)
An entertaining and very readable book. I do agree with previous reviewers that the central character can be very tiresome and drippy, but I'm glad things all work out for her in the end! There are quite a number of very basic inaccuracies about aspects of Italian life; clearly the author hasn't spent much time there. This might sound pedantic, but it does detract from the 'sense of place' somewhat. The evil mother-in-law is priceless though!