Profile for reading geek > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Kolymsky Heights
Kolymsky Heights

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Kolymsky Heights (Kindle Edition)
it's a good read, but for me does not live up to the hype, of the introduction.

Vessel
Vessel

4.0 out of 5 stars Not great but not at all bad., 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Vessel (Kindle Edition)
An enjoyable book with lots of realistic technical detail, but also much luck for the main characters,I thought the ending weak.

Rage
Rage

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid read, 11 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Rage (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed Rage, I liked the way the story moved back and forth and also the more psychological aspects of Jonah's character.
That said yet again Jonah survives more near death experiences then the proverbial cat which does move a very grounded narrative into the realms of fantasy. With Him around Britain could dispense with even more of its armed forces!

High Heat: (A Jack Reacher Novella) (Kindle Single) (Jack Reacher Short Stories Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast paced and fun read, 31 Aug. 2013
As ever Jack Reacher, ( a well realized human 'Terminator'), has it all, good easy read with a predictable, (no one beats Reacher), but none the less enjoyable outcome. A great book for the beach.

Empire State
Empire State

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good book from Henry Porter, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Empire State (Kindle Edition)
I have read and really enjoyed 3 of Henry Porters books, they are well plotted and engaging, If you like credible complexity, a strong narrative and believable characters look no further. Empire State, has them all.

A Loyal Spy
A Loyal Spy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good solid book, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: A Loyal Spy (Kindle Edition)
Although the main character Jonah survives more that is credible I thought this book a very good read. well plotted and with a line of cynicism regarding how the world really works that I respond to. Here is an all action fast paced thriller/spy novel that has depth and is well worth reading.

The Geneva Option
The Geneva Option

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Geneva Option (Kindle Edition)
I thought the plotting and characterisations in this book were poor to the very rare point, (for me) where i have decided not to finish the book.

Melitta Coffee Filter Cone 102
Melitta Coffee Filter Cone 102
Offered by Selectric London Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean way to make real coffee, 31 Aug. 2013
I have been using the Melitta coffee filter cone, 102 for about 3 weeks now. it is clean and simple piece of kit to use and the coffee is good as well! I will buy the 104 at some point for when I want to make more than one Mug full.

Sight Unseen
Sight Unseen

3.0 out of 5 stars A good enough read., 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Sight Unseen (Kindle Edition)
Overall I enjoyed the book and complex historical tread of the Junius mystery. However, I thought the prose style leaden which at times left me with a sense of dislocation from the story and made reading somewhat laborious. A good enough read but not in my view as good as 'Past Caring.'

The Green Hills of Earth and The Menace from Earth
The Green Hills of Earth and The Menace from Earth

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic SiFi, 28 Jan. 2013
I first read this book when aged 14/15 and i have re-read it many times over the years. i bought it in Kindle formate simply because I can! I am alive in an age where ebook-readers are becoming commonplace. So many of Heinlein's ideas are coming true. One of the subtexts in the stories is the commercial nature of the organisations venturing out there! Think SpaceX, Planetary Resources, Virgin Galactic & Elon Musk's projected Hyperloop and you get the idea. In Heinlein's world they are more mature entities. Another big theme of the stories is that of the ordinary person preoccupied with the day to day problems that we all have and some given an extra twist by technology, human stories nonetheless.
true some of his ideas have proved to be unlikely, (sentient life on Venus for example), but overall these stories are prophetic and worth the read.

Page: 1 | 2