Profile for Grant Wray > Reviews

Trivial Pursuit (Wii)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 6 Oct. 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit (Wii) (Video Game)
It's a good adaptation of the traditional board, but the range of question packs is limited (original, movies or both) and the questions seem incredibly bizarre. One science question, for example, asked the name of the dog in a certain film - this is entirely unrelated! Geography questions kept popping up as well, like asking where some place was that a historical event took place. There was no tying in of the question difficulty with the age of the player, so it was hardly a family game; we used to play with a junior pack for the kids and an adult pack for the grown-ups. Where there is a multiple guess which shows pictures, it's hard to make out what some of the images actually are (is that sand? a desert? beach? a close-up of a flower?) and even harder to read the tiny, tiny writing that asks the question. There's some insane lunatic droning on in the background too making patronising comments. In over 100 questions we fielded last night, there was not one single music/audio question either. Another bizarre way of asking questions was to present you with a map where you had to point to the place to answer. That's fine, but there are NO HINTS OR LABELS. Thus one knows that a certain building is in a certain city, but then to answer you also have to know that that city is on the east coast, west coast, north or south of some country whose outline you have to guess at and whose borders you have no idea about. I mean, just where does Italy end and Switzerland begin on a map which doesn't show the Alps? Another peculiarity of this mechanism of answering is that questions like "Which is the Northernmost of these Australian cities?" means that you just pick the blob nearest the top of the map!

I've played far better games from the TP stable on DVD, I'd avoid this one and go for a more recent release that's been bug fixed and improved, because to get this one could easily put you off buying a sequel - this one is likely to become a dust collector.

OSUN Mushroom Green Zero Energy Saving Plug
OSUN Mushroom Green Zero Energy Saving Plug

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant concept, poor execution, 6 Oct. 2011
I purchased this as a replacement for an iPod charger I've been borrowing. The concept is brilliant; there is no need to leave a charger plugged in e.g. all night for a 3 hour charge, and the OSUN promises to cut off all power when a device stops drawing charging current. Problem is that my iPod seems to have a stop/start approach to charging, meaning that the OSUN shuts off long before a decent charge has been accumulated. I've not yet tried it with other products, like phones or a FreeLoader, but I'd say, for now and for iPods, this isn't going to cut the mustard. It needs a far longer delay between zero-draw on the USB and shutting off, unless it learns I suppose, which I can't see it doing. There were only minimal instructions included as well, so if it has a learning feature, that should be in the manual.

Also, it was kind of hard to push the button to turn it back on, it seemed to need wiggling around before the contacts made.

500 Cupcakes and Muffins
500 Cupcakes and Muffins
by Fergal Connolly

1.0 out of 5 stars 500 sources of frustration, 11 May 2009
So far we've tried two of the recipes in this book, and both have had problems with quantities. The measurements given seem to yield around twice the number of cakes as the book says, and the chocolate muffins had far too much beaten egg white in them anyway, resulting in a soufflé-like collapse of epic and gooey proportions.

As most of the 500 recipes seem to be variants on a couple of dozen basic mixtures, and both of these we tried have failed, I don't hold out much hope. We might try another, but to be honest our faith is seriously shaken, and we've had no problems with Nigella's recipes at all; well, other than they are too yummy.

I would not recommend this book as I do not believe the recipes have been tried and tested at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7