Profile for Mr. David Peterson > Reviews

Content by Mr. David Peterson

Mr. David Peterson (London, UK)

Picture This: How Pictures Work
Picture This: How Pictures Work
by Molly Bang
Price: 7.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Einstein would be proud, 28 Jan 2014
The book taught me a new skill: how to compose a picture. It took me about 90 mins to read at a slow, careful pace. Rating it is hard. I knocked off one star because I would have liked more examples. Having said that, I think I've learnt what I need to learn just from the one example. Einstein apparently said his objective was to make things as simple as possible, but no simpler. This book is the epitome of that. It's brilliant, and I sort of feel guilty for knocking off that star. I had to knock a star off for the book itself because it fell apart at the seams. It's the way it's made: poorly glued at the spine. I probably could have returned it, but I wanted to keep it. I know that I'm going to read it again.

T&G CrushGrind Apollo Pepper Mill, Stainless Steel, 150 mm
T&G CrushGrind Apollo Pepper Mill, Stainless Steel, 150 mm
Price: 29.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 28 Jan 2014
I bought this on a whim based on the many positive reviews. It's brilliant - expensive but worth every penny.

The Front Office Manual: The Definitive Guide to Trading, Structuring and Sales (Global Financial Markets)
by Andrew Sutherland
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold dust for understanding the front office, 17 Dec 2013
I don't normally write reviews, but I felt I had to. For anyone working in, or with, an investment bank front office, this book is like gold dust. I wish it had been around years ago when I started working as a front-office software developer.

The book essentially takes the reader from zero knowledge to geek-levels of knowledge about the financial mechanics and jargon of a front office. Vitally, it explains the 'why' as well as the 'what'. The clear explanations of the context are what makes this book so different and so valuable.

If you are new to the front-office, this book will save you months of time getting up to speed. If you are an old-hand, I reckon you'll still have plenty of "aha" moments. Highly recommended.

Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests (Beck Signature)
Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests (Beck Signature)
by Steve Freeman
Price: 28.37

5.0 out of 5 stars A book by expert developers for expert developers, 20 Nov 2009
This isn't a book for beginners. It's a book for competent or expert programmers looking to become even better.

As you go through the book it feels like you're paired up with an articulate expert, guiding you through the process of developing a non-trivial application from scratch. I haven't come across many (any?) other books that describe the process and reasoning behind development decisions so clearly and in such detail.

If you're a strong developer (especially if you're familiar with Java) I highly recommend this book. You'll get a lot out of it.

Rocks Into Gold Pocket Book
Rocks Into Gold Pocket Book
by Clarke Ching
Price: 7.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, with a useful message, 8 Jun 2009
Written around a single idea about the economics of software development, this is a short book, but well worth reading.