Profile for Not Amused > Reviews

How To Lose Friends & Alienate People
How To Lose Friends & Alienate People
by Toby Young

1.0 out of 5 stars Well, it alienated me!, 15 July 2003
If you're bound like I am by a "I've started so I'll finish" ethos, you'll have a tough time with this humourless waste of trees. Toby Young, if people avoid you at parties in the future there may be another reason i.e. they've read your book and are worried that you'll spout on for hours about what you allege to be interesting and funny experiences. Someone sent me this book as a present. I get the message. I will never behave like Mr. Young and certainly never write a book like this.

Hideaway
Hideaway
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars Double-lock your doors and set the intruder alarm!, 18 Nov 2002
This review is from: Hideaway (Paperback)
Wow! I was very pleased to read that a good intruder alarm and solid locks are a good barrier against a demon. I thought I was going to have a heart attack part way through this book, my pulse racing and my heart thumping as the anti-hero crept around the victims' house. Dean Koontz has a reputation for the dark side of literature but the plot of this book was so compelling that it broke through the language barrier of the german version that I was reading. I found myself wandering around the basement and trying to see in the dark like our man Vassago. Hatch is a brick and Regina an absolute gem. The ending transports you finally into another dimension. Hideaway has brought me back into the Dean Koontz fanclub.

Burnt Bones
Burnt Bones
by Michael Slade
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars A most irritating read, 18 Nov 2002
This book made my spine run cold, not because of the suspense but because of Michael Slade's writing style. A plot that is so predictable as to make the reader groan, excessively indulgent and over-descriptive passages about everything and anything Scottish (as a 3rd generation Scot I should know) and cheap tricks with the occupants of the Wicker Man. Probably a good screenplay for a movie that, upon seeing for the second time, you would say to yourself "Yes, the plot is full of holes, the violence is gratuitous and I don't think I'll bother seeing it again". Why did I read the whole book? I nearly gave up after the first chapter but I wanted to compare it with The Silence of the Lambs. No comparison. A long list of literary references and endless narrative about the islands of British Columbia, stone circles and Scottish clans do not excuse a poorly written story Mr. Slade.

Game Boy Printer
Game Boy Printer

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 20 Nov 2000
This review is from: Game Boy Printer (Video Game)
The camera is a great solution for the gameboy. But this printer is crazily overpriced. It costs nearly as much as a colour gameboy and offers much less utility. Parents will be under big pressure to buy this once they get the camera, because the camera only stores 30 pictures. Price for the printer should be much less...