Profile for KJR > Reviews

Derailed [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good film, 29 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Derailed [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
This film surprised me. I first watched it on late night TV and had no real idea of what it would be like. Ended up loving it. Yes, I fancy Jennifer Aniston like mad and enjoy her work and that of Clive Owen so it was worth my giving it a chance, but this film actually turned out to be excellent. I don't want to say too much in case I spoil the plot but it is tautly written and directed and very well acted. All three lead actors turn in bravura performances. Well worth 103 minutes of your time.

The Man With One Red Shoe [DVD]
The Man With One Red Shoe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars not enough., 29 Dec. 2015
I love this film. An early performance from Tom Hanks in a gentle comedy that had me laughing out loud throughout the film. Great ensemble cast, well acted and directed and good views of Georgetown in Washington DC. Excellent performances from Hanks and from Carrie Fisher and James Belushi as a married couple with issues. Lori Singer looked truly beautiful and her performance made me wish that she had gone on to be a top flight actress. You can watch this with your kids or your parents, but we all know that when we see that Tom Hanks is in it. Worth watching.

Jeremiah Johnson [DVD] [1972] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Jeremiah Johnson [DVD] [1972] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Dec. 2015
A brilliant film with well considered performance from Robert Redford. Spectacular scenery and a glimpse of what it must have been like when the interior of continental USA was being opened up. I loved it.

Mountain Man
Mountain Man
by Vardis Fisher

3.0 out of 5 stars My copy poorly made., 29 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Mountain Man (Paperback)
I read a copy of this years ago when it was produced in paperback form following the release of the film. The story is excellent, I cannot recommend it more highly. It does use some words that are frowned upon nowadays, for example the "n" word, and the characters' attitudes are unreconstructed, but it must have been a rough and ready period and one cannot expect a trapper from that era to use dainty language.

My copy of this particular edition is not too impressive, hence the 3 stars. The paperback is unusual in my experience in that it seems a bit amateurish in the way that it has been produced. There are way too many typos and the page layout or the way the book was machine cut (following binding?) is such that the top line of words is actually touching the top edge of the page in some instances (eg last full page before the end of chapter 16) and is some 3mm from the top edge of the page on others (eg second to last full page of Chapter 20). It varies throughout the book. I find it a bit disconcerting to be honest. Perhaps I have one from a particularly bad print run and others are ok. Worth getting to read the story but the stupid errors have spoiled it a bit for me.

RAC 80003 Extending Wheel Wrench
RAC 80003 Extending Wheel Wrench

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid build, excellent design, easy to use., 26 Jun. 2015
Mine was the last one available at the time I bought it, which was a shame for it was so good other members of my family wanted one. Very good for ladies to use, as the extending arm increases the turning moment making it easier to move nuts that have been over-tightened without the user needing a lot of upper-body strength. I hope the manufacturers have made another production run, for it is too good to ignore.

Artemide Tizio Black Desk Lamp
Artemide Tizio Black Desk Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, elegant and effective, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Artemide Tizio Black Desk Lamp
A beautiful design classic that is well made and truly functional. I have lusted after one for years and have finally decided to but one. Took some hunting down on Amazon but worth the trouble. Looks good and is effective as a desk lamp. What more needs to be said?

American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub
American Old Bay Seasoning: 170g Tub
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars tasty with shellfish, 26 Jun. 2015
Not widely available in the UK, which is a pity as it is a very tasty addition to a cook's arsenal of herbs and spices. First came across it on the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. in fish and shellfish dishes. Had a tin of it in my kitchen ever since.

Indorex Flea Spray
Indorex Flea Spray

5.0 out of 5 stars Will use this again, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Indorex Flea Spray (Misc.)
My wife and I have used this for years, ever since our local vet recommended it. We have used it for infestations of a number of creepy crawlers and it always seems to do the job.

The Camomile Lawn [DVD]
The Camomile Lawn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Felicity Kendal

5.0 out of 5 stars watch this!, 26 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Camomile Lawn [DVD] (DVD)
An absolute hoot. An ensemble cast of the good and the great of several generations of British actors, in a very well written series. It is set shortly before and during the 2nd World War with the final denouement set years later. A joy to watch, with some truly superb performances. Quite adult themes and nudity but never crude.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2016 2:44 PM GMT

Calm After The Storm (Eurovision 2014 - The Netherlands)
Calm After The Storm (Eurovision 2014 - The Netherlands)

5.0 out of 5 stars great song, worth listening to., 26 Jun. 2015
Saw this on the 2014 Eurovision Contest and thought it should have won or come second to "Undo". A haunting song, well sung. Haven't heard of the group since, which is a shame for they show real promise with this song.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6