Profile for Norman Stevenson > Reviews

Content by Norman Stevenson

Norman Stevenson (Bonnie Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Offered by Fuzzy Peaches UK
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little box!!, 15 April 2013
I bought this to use with a Ruark Audio R2i that I have in my bedroom. I didn't really think about Bluetooth connectivity when I bought the Ruark, but then realised when lying in bed with the iPad on my lap, it would be great to be ale to listen to the music on the iPad, as well as the radio etc on the unit itself.

Ruark themselves recommend a QED unit, but at 65 it seemed a bit expensive for what I wanted it for? After a bit of research I came across this neat little unit. It's nice and small in size, fits perfectly behind my R2i without being seen, and plugs into the AUX inputs on the back. It comes with a mini jack to 2 phono cable, but the unit itself has outputs for both, so can actually be used either way round, which is handy if the hifi you're using it with only has either a mini jack or 2 phono input.

I plugged it in, connected it to the mains (I leave it on permanently same as the R2i) and turned on the Bluetooth on the iPad. It recognised it immediately. I pressed the connect button on top of the receiver, and away it went .... no problems!!

I find the sound quality to be excellent to be honest. At the end of the day, it's being used with a 280 table top hifi, so I didn't expect there to be much of a drop in sound quality, and there's not. I do find it a bit unrealistic when people use these units with top quality hifis and complain about the drop in sound quality. There will always be a compromise using a technology like this, no different from comparing downloads to original CDs or vinyl. .

There's also no drop in connection when I move around the (fairly large) room, but have noticed if you go anymore than 15+ feet away from the unit, then it struggles .... it also doesn't like walls between itself and the source.

After reading the reviews on here I expected to have to "connect" the iPad every time I used it, but am very pleased to find out I don't, it seems to remember the last item connected to it. Seeing as its only really the iPad I use with it, this has turned out to be a bonus I didn't expect!!

Overall, very happy!!

Pockit Drive 640GB 640 GB 2.5" USB 2.0 Pocket Size Slim External Hard Drive For PC / Laptops / Macs - Includes One Touch Back Up(OTB) - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain external hard drive!!, 9 April 2013
I bought this as the 250GB CBA digital hard drive I have was full. Never thought this would happen, as its mostly photos that I've put on it, but add to that the computer back up, my iTunes files back up and Norton back up, and suddenly there was less than 100MB on it!!

Was ready to pay 60+ for another CBA hard drive (500GB or 70+ for a 640GB one) when I noticed this one. At the time I bought it it was 40 with free delivery (fulfilled by Amazon, which is reassuring).

It arrived in a couple of days. It was very nicely packaged, came fully sealed and with instructions and a USB cable. It doesn't have a protective slip case like some, but that didn't matter to me as it sits permanently behind my laptop anyway as a back up. Must admit, it looks very smart as well, unusually being white. Seems quite solid and well made.

I plugged it in and away it went, what more can I say, it worked straight out the box on my laptop running Windows 7. The laptop does quote it as having 596GB available space mind you, but I believe this is normal for these drives.

Just wish I had bought this size of drive to start with!!

Trust 10 Port Usb 2.0 Power Hub
Trust 10 Port Usb 2.0 Power Hub
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!!, 9 April 2013
I bought this more out of convenience, as the incredibly high spec Dell laptop I have, has every conceivable input and output on it but only two USB sockets? I use a cordless USB mouse, so that was one taken up permanently already!!

I also have a 250GB external hard drive which I use as a back up for photos etc and have that permanently plugged into the USB on the back. Problem is, whenever I want to update/sync etc my iPhone and iPad, I need to unplug the USB mouse receiver and use either the touchscreen on the laptop, or the finger pad on the front, neither of which I'm that used to. Add to that the fact that the external hard drive is now full, and I've bought another to use in conjunction with this one, and suddenly the problem became worse.

After a bit of research on here, I came across this USB hub. It has 10 ports, way more than enough for me. It's powered, which after the research I did, seems to be a must, as the USB powered ones are on the whole not much good for many applications. It was also less than 15, which lets be honest, is an absolute bargain!!

I got it delievered (very quickly as is usual for Amazon) and thought about how I was going to position it etc. I ended up using a couple of sticky pads to attach it to the back of a small cabinet that my printer sits on. It is very light, so this worked a treat. I sat the two external hard drives on the floor behind the cabinet and plugged them in, along with the receiver for the mouse. The mains socket is also just behind this cabinet, so was easy to get power. I then led the USB cable up the back of the table the laptop sits on, and into its rear USB socket, meaning its totally out of sight. This also leaves the side USB free for anything I need it for.

It works perfectly. It is plugged into the same 4 way mains adaptor that the laptop charger and my printer are plugged into, and I switch this off when not in use. One thing I did notice is that the USB hub (and hence the mains adaptor) has to be switched on first, as opposed to just switching on the laptop first (using its battery as power) and then the mains. If the laptop is switched on before the hub gets power, it doesn't seem to recognise it .... the mouse doesn't work and the hard drives aren't recognised by the laptop. But power up the hub first (or leave it permanently powered up) and there's no problems. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and other than the one time mentioned above, it has never failed to operate the mouse or recognise the hard drives.

Just wish I had bought one of these before, works perfectly for me, and as said, was an absolute bargain at under 15. Strongly recommend this unit!!

Suits - Season 1 [DVD]
Suits - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gina Torres
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series .... roll on Season 2!!, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Suits - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this on Dave after seeing a few of the trailers before it was broadcast. Looked like a good series. I think most of the episodes were on in the background though while I was on the laptop/iPad .... big mistake.

I remember thinking at the time that it was quite a good program and kept an eye on the price of the DVD set on Amazon. Out of the blue, it dropped to below 10 and I bought it .... should have bought it earlier to be honest.

Having now sat down and watched the whole set .... with no distractions .... I can't believe just how good this show is. I am absolutely hooked. It's extremely fast paced, the humour is quite subtle but appears all the way through the series.

It's an old premise .... the good guys winning over the bad guys .... simple, but it works. The rivalry between Harvey and Lewis makes the show. I can't recommend this series more highly, but be prepared to concentrate on it. To be honest, it's worth buying alone for the scene in the last episode between Donna (Harvey's PA) and Lewis (Harvey's "competitor" lawyer in the company) where she dresses up and tries to bribe him with Opera tickets and a personal dinner with one of the players .... his comment of "oh Mummy" as a reaction to this is hilarious!!

I cannot wait until Dave shows season 2 .... and it comes out on DVD .... plus it seems a third season has been commissioned ..... good news!!

Have to make an important addition here to this review to help everyone who thinks their DVD's are missing two episodes. Disc 3 has 4 episodes, 7 and 8 are on one screen and then theres actually a small right arrow on the bottom right of the menu screen to access 9 and 10 .... there is no actual fault with the discs but this is a fairly major "mistake" on the part of the makers, as loads of people seem to miss this way of accessing the other 2 episodes, myself being one when I first bought the set.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect solution .... almost!!, 17 Mar 2013
Been waiting since Christmas for the email from Ruark to say this is available, but actually purely by chance, noticed it for sale on Amazon from Peter Tyson a couple of days before Ruark informed me it was available.

I ordered it immediately at 8.99 posted (Ruark quoted 7.99 but also charge 3 P&P for their accessories) and it arrived two days later .... fantastic service from Peter Tyson it has to be said.

I finally had my lightning adaptor support to use with my Ruark Audio R2i. It is a nice simple piece of kit, the base being sliver painted plastic with Ruark stamped on the bottom of it and the support part being stainless steel with a clear plastic protective covering at the top. It fits my R2i perfectly and looks totally original, if not as neat as the standard supplied cover (for when the dock isn't in use).

I do have a couple of issues with it though. Firstly (and this isn't really Ruarks fault) it doesn't hold the Apple lightning adaptor in place. Would be handy if it did, as the 8 pin connection is so tight that whenever you remove the phone, the adaptor always comes with it .... quite annoying .... but as I said, not really Ruarks fault.

The main reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is the fact that it can't be used with my iPhone 5 with a cover on it, as the couple of mm's that the cover adds to the depth of the phone (as does every cover i know of) means that with the phone resting against the support, the base doesn't line up with the adaptor. I have to take the phone out of the cover to use it. Only solutions would be either to remove the back bar (which does simply slide out anyway) and use it without .... this does work and the phone stands up okay, but it kind of defeats the purpose of the item, and I imagine over time it would put strain on the lightning adaptor .... or try and change the shape of the bar part of the support to suit the extra depth of my phone with its cover on .... may try that at some point .... when I feel brave enough.

If you have a Ruark Audio unit, or any unit that has the same widely used docking process, and a iPod / iPhone with the lightning connector, this support really is a must.

Manna Black UltraSlim iPhone 5 iPhone 5S Flip Case Cover | High-Quality Genuine Leather | Black with Red Seams
Offered by Leicke Distributor Germany
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely oozes quality!!, 17 Mar 2013
Have been using this cover for a few weeks now with my new iPhone 5 and absolutely love it.

The quality is fantastic, it being real leather .... the red stitching is a very nice touch, as is the Leicke emblem pressed into the suede inside. I opted for the side hinged case, and am glad I did now.

I've always been a bit wary of phone covers that only hold the phone at the corners, but this one seems to manage fine. The clip holding the front in place is an unusual design, but it seems to work okay. How it will be in a few months time, I can't say, but it works well just now. Being leather, neither the latch or the corners mark the phone, which is good, especially considering some of the reports I've read about the iPhone 5 being easily scratched/marked.

This particular cover can also be used as a stand, which I've tried a few times and actually quite like it. The design of the cover also leaves the lightning connector on the bottom completely clear, so docking the phone with this cover on is no problem whatsoever, although if you normally use a proper fully protective cover and are worried about your phone getting damaged, this one may not be ideal .... I treat my phone like a prized possession though, so not an issue for me!!

At the price, I doubt there is any better cover out there .... absolute bargain given the quality!!

ButterFox Genuine Real Leather Executive Case Stand Cover for iPad 2 iPad 3 / the New iPad - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice case!!, 17 Mar 2013
I've had a cheaper (Tecknet) case on my iPad since I got it last March and decided to replace it with something a bit better. The brown Tecknet case cost less than 10 and has served me well, has no issues with it, but fancied something better and something in real leather.

Most of the cases on Amazon and elsewhere seem to claim to be leather, but few are. I decided to try this one as everything I could find out about this case seemed to confirm it was real leather .... and as far as I can see and tell, it is!!

The quality is fantastic, the case looks (and smells) like the soft black leather it is. It has some padding on the front and back under the surface, giving it a nice soft feel. The grey suede on the inside only adds to the quality look and feel.

It holds my iPad nice and securely and protects it well. I've had it for over a month now and it shows no signs of wear to the case and the iPad still fits as snugly as it did on day one. All ports etc are easily accessible.

My only gripe (if I have to find one) is that when I put the iPad into the case in the way I'm used to, with the top of the case folding over at the top of the iPad screen, the stand on the back is at the bottom rather than the top of the case, making it unusuable for me? Not a big issue to be honest as I would rarely use this anyway, but worth pointing out.

It's not cheap for an iPad case (although still a lot cheaper than some I've come across, Apples own cases being prime examples) but its worth every penny, and when you consider the price of your prized iPad, it actually seems a bit of a bargain, considering the job it does!!

BaByliss for Men Super Hair Clipper
BaByliss for Men Super Hair Clipper
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective clippers!!, 17 Mar 2013
I bought these to replace an ageing (and blunt) set of Nicky Clarke clippers that I've had and used for over 10 years now. After looking at various units on Amazon and reading countless reviews I decided on these, mainly due to the apparent quality of the item and the fact that it can be used corded or cordless (my experience of "cordless only" items in general in the past has usually been disappointing with the batteries at some point giving up the ghost and rendering the product useless!!).

I've had and used these clippers for nearly three months now and have to say I'm generally impressed with them, with only a couple of (minor?) issues .... hence the 4 rather than 5 stars.

Upon opening, I charged them for the recommended time and started using them. They come is a zipped bag rather than the usual blow moulded case, which I think I actually prefer, as it takes up less space. They are very quiet, almost silent compared to my previous ones, and cut hair very quickly and easily.

There are two minor reasons I have knocked off a star. Firstly (as mentioned elsewhere) the attachments and grades are different to my previous ones, to the extent that the finest attachment (#1) on these does not cut my hair (or beard) short enough, so I actually have to use the clippers without any attachments and use the adjustment lever on the cutting head itself to adjust the length. This isn't a problem for my hair, as I prefer it to be very short anyway. Where there is a slight issue though, is when I cut my beard and brings me to my second minor issue. I cut my beard weekly and, again, like it to be very short and use the clipper without any attachment. The problem arises when I cut under my chin and move the clipper up my neck towards my chin. It has a habit of catching on the hair at times and if you're not careful, can be quite painful. Having now got used to the fact that it may happen, I've adjusted the way I cut this area, and it's not so much of an issue now, but is still worth mentioning.

Should also add, on a plus point, I charged the clippers on 27th December when I received them, and have used them probably 4-5 times to do my hair and every 5 days or so to do my beard, and I have yet to have to recharge them .... which is pretty impressive for 3 months use!!

Timberland UK Chunky Merino Gloves Dark Navy Heather One Size
Timberland UK Chunky Merino Gloves Dark Navy Heather One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm and comfortable!!, 17 Mar 2013
Love these gloves and at the price paid for them (under 15), they were a bargain!!

They are quite small, but do stretch a lot. They are merino wool on the outside and felt lined on the inside .... perfect!!

Timberland UK Chunky Merino Men's Scarf Dark Navy Heather One Size
Timberland UK Chunky Merino Men's Scarf Dark Navy Heather One Size

3.0 out of 5 stars Might say Merino on the label but ...., 17 Mar 2013
I bought this scarf mainly due to it being Merino wool and therefore soft to the touch .... but it's not!!

It is 100% wool, but not Merino, so isn't the nicest item to have pressed against your neck?

It is a quality item though, and quite heavy and thick. The chunky cable design is a nice touch. If you don't mind the 100% normal wool, then it's perfect ..... but Merino or lambs wool would have been my choice.

Page: 1 | 2