Profile for Jonny Lewington > Reviews

Content by Jonny Lewington

Jonny Lewington (East Asia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
LArobe Sleeve for MacBook Air 13 inch - Black + Wasabi
LArobe Sleeve for MacBook Air 13 inch - Black + Wasabi

5.0 out of 5 stars meaning this case must absorb shock pretty well (an unprotected table mat shattered from just 4 ..., 6 Dec. 2014
As protection is the most important thing for me in a case, I tested this case by putting a glass table mat in it and dropping it a couple of times from different heights. The fragile table mat didn't break until it was dropped from about 10 feet, meaning this case must absorb shock pretty well (an unprotected table mat shattered from just 4 feet).

I take my macbook air everywhere in this case now, as it always feels secure. I've never had a scratch or a problem when its been in the case.

HOUSE OF MARLEY SOUL REBEL HEADPHONES (MIDNIGHT)
HOUSE OF MARLEY SOUL REBEL HEADPHONES (MIDNIGHT)
Offered by Digital Save

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in the Sub-£50 Price Range, 29 Dec. 2013
I spent a long time in a store listening to different headphones before settling on these. Here's a brief overview of what I heard.

SOUND

The sound quality of these is punchy and a decent bass line, but most importantly the mid-range is still very clear, giving a decent overall sound. They are slightly bass heavy, but not a lot so and very tolerable. Hardcore techno fans would probably want something a bit more bassy, classical musicians something a little more balanced, but for most pop/electro/soul/dance/dubstep tracks the balance is good. It goes without saying that, at this price range, they are for mid quality-mp3 playback.

On certain songs and certain volumes, I can definitely hear a lack of clarity. When compared to the £160 Sennheiser Momentum On headphones I tried, there was a massive difference and you could easily hear the fuzziness, especially in the bass, but overall the sound was still clear. Compared to similar products (Sony MDRZX600s, Sennheiser MD219s etc)they have better sound quality in my opinion. With a budget of about £70, I found these headphones sounded better for me than anything else in that price range (comparing to Sony, Sennheiser, Panasonic and SkullCandy), despite being under budget and some of the least expensive headphones I tried.

BUILD QUALITY and APPEARANCE

As for appearance, the main reason for buying if I'm honest, they look much cooler than most on-ear headphones. They aren't simply large chunks of black plastic with a giant brand marks plastered on to them like most are (or pure 'bling' like Beats headphones etc). Also, these don't look cheap or nasty at all, in case you are wondering from the Amazon picture they look decent and well made. They are also small enough to be easily portable. They come with a decent fabric case.

"NOISE ISOLATION"

Played at about 70% volume on an Iphone 5, I couldn't hear the four year old child screaming his guts out five seats ahead of me . Quadruple bonus. I guess mainly, 'noise isolation' means they are a bit tighter on your head than a lot of earphones, meaning you hear a little less of your surroundings at the expense of a little comfort. Seeing as I'd rather stab my ears out completely than be able to hear the other people on my commute, this works fine for me. Whether it works for you will probably depend on how noisy an environment you intend on using them in.

OVERALL

Overall, a big thumbs up HoM. If you are buying a headphones on a budget of about £50 or under, I'd recommend either these, or the slightly more expensive House of Marley Exodus Harvest headphones, which sounded slightly better than these ones, but only slightly and were £20 more expensive and not really my style.

The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach
The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think and How Schools Should Teach
by Howard Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you the Minister for Education? Try reading this..., 29 Dec. 2013
I bought this book as part of a course reading list, but unlike most books on the list, I ended up reading it cover to cover.

Gardner puts some really interesting points forward about what it means to really understand something, and how our education system is not geered towards achieving this, instead being focused on getting kids to jump through hoops. Although it sounds like common sense, Gardner really takes this point a lot further than I can articulate in this review, and says a whole lot more too. Overall, this is far more than the general PGCE / M.Ed reading list title which is only good for a few quotes, its actually a book worth reading for anyone involved in education.

Given the opportunity, I would strap Michael Gove to the ground and force him to listen to listen to a few passages from this book (alongside, perhaps, a few choice passages of my own 'personal wisdom').

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 29 Dec. 2013

SOUND

BUILD QUALITY and APPEARANCE

"NOISE ISOLATION"

OVERALL

Motorola Moto G Premium TPU Hydro Gel Case Cover included Screen Protector and Polishing Cloth Capacitive Stylus Pen
Offered by Colourful2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 22 Dec. 2013
Nothing amazing, but it fits the phone perfectly and provides protection from scratches and small bumps. Useful if you keep your £120 phone in the same pocket as your keys! It also provides a tiny bit of protection from the rain, as it covers the side buttons which are (in my experience) the most vulnerable to rain. Wouldn't protect against drops or anything more than a little light rain.

Screen protector is easy to fit. Phone looks alright with the case on.

A few pounds well spent.

Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Moto G 8GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by Macway Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value smartphone, 22 Dec. 2013
Good: Processor - runs extremely smoothly, like most of the top end smartphones. No lag, even when playing complicated games.
Screen - HD, noticeably good quality.

OK: Battery life - lasts just over 36 hours for me (light user). Charge daily and I rarely see it go below 50%.

Bad: Camera - its not that great. Photos in sunlight turn out fine for Facebook+, but not really printable quality.
Back Speaker - Diabolical.
Call quality - Questionable. It's fine for making calls, obviously, but it lacks the crystal clear sound of something like an iphone, especially when there is background noise.

Conclusion: FINALLY a budget smartphone that makes sense. Obviously, cheap means making sacrifices. This phone makes the right sacrifices for a smartphone. The most important thing is that processor - it means you can use pretty much anything on the android app market and do anything with your phone without fear of it slowing down, even when you are running a couple of things at once.

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by memorycapital

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 27 July 2013
I went into PC world for a HDMI cable. When they said the cheapest was £30, I decided to see what I can get online.

I was pretty surprised to see them being sold this cheap. I thought 'I'll buy it and if it doesn't work, I'll just buy another one'.

But it DID work. Perfectly. £28 saved.

Laptop/Notebook Gel Cooling Pad
Laptop/Notebook Gel Cooling Pad

4.0 out of 5 stars Cools almost instantly, 27 July 2013
In the summer heat, my laptop is constantly overheating. I have a USB cooling mat with fans, but it's not very comfortable when its on your lap and it's a bit big to carry around.

This mat is perfect. It's comfortable and easy to use. It really does stop the laptop from overheating too. I tested this by deliberately running my laptop on full power without the mat, and watched my CPU temp go to a whopping 85, and then (still running everything) put the laptop on the mat. The base (which had been very hot) was cool to touch just 20 seconds later. After about 8 minutes, my CPU temp had dropped about 15 degrees too.

The only problem? It's a little big for my 15" laptop, reducing portability. I wish they sold different sizes of this mat. But it beats USB fan mats any day.

SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE S5830 BLACK SILICONE CASE / COVER/ SKIN WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for me, 27 July 2013
I had a fancy leather case, but I have a tendency to fiddle with things (no joke), so it broke after a few months.

This case is fiddle-proof, which means that after two months its still in exactly the same condition. It also does a pretty good job of protecting your phone and looks ok.

Teenagers (Resource Books for Teachers)
Teenagers (Resource Books for Teachers)
by Gordon Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Some great activities - the whole staff room loves it!, 27 July 2013
In ELT, we are often trained to teach adults, then thrown into teenager classes, still using adult textbooks, adult activities etc.

This book now lives in our teachers room and a lot of teachers use it for their teenage classes. There is some indispensable advice on teaching teenagers in the (brief) intro, and then a whole host of different activities. Having tried a lot of these different activities, I have found that they have been well designed and go down well with the teenagers I teach. They also generally go down well in classes where I have a mix of teenagers and adults, and provide a good level of variety to otherwise adult themed classes.

I really wish that I had owned this book 4 years ago when I finished my CELTA and started teaching teenagers with no training or experience. It would have been a great help!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3