Profile for Mr. P. E. Maxfield > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. E. Maxfield

Mr. P. E. Maxfield (Salisbury, England)

Prevail
Prevail
by Jeff Pearce

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight., 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Prevail (Hardcover)
Having read the preview sections, I thought it looked good. Once it arrived, I found out just how good it is! A broad sweep of chronological information from so many different perspectives, introducing me to many sources that I just have not come across. A large book, I couldn't stop reading it, and will have to again and again. Excellent insight. There are many good reviews on amazon.com (all but one, very positive - there's always one!) Anyone with the slightest interest in history should get a copy. This should be required reading. Thank you Mr.Pearce!

Father of the Tuskegee Airmen, John C. Robinson
Father of the Tuskegee Airmen, John C. Robinson
by Phillip Thomas Tucker

4.0 out of 5 stars The Brown Condor of Ethiopia, 1 April 2013
Anything which adds to bringing Colonel John Charles Robinson back from being almost forgotten, is fine by me, and Phillip Tucker has done a good job. Having had the first Timmons book, with some 'reconstructed' conversations that I found hard to swallow, this was a big improvement. I haven't yet read the new rewritten version of Timmons, but a preview looks interesting. I'm hoping that Frenchman Michel Barriere, will yet write the definitive, factual and unbiased account of this enigmatic role model hero of early American and Ethiopian aviation. Tucker has a nice positive paragraph (page 78) which includes: "...Robinson contradicted the stereotypical image of an angry black militant who was bitter towards the white world. He continued to enjoy friends and close associations with both races...Robinson knew that people had to be valued not for their color, but based on their positive personal qualities and character...Robinson possessed white friends and associates in the aviation community..., as well as in his everyday life..." (one of whom, was my father).

A Canadian soldier: George Harold Baker, M.P., Lieutenant Colonel 5th C.M. R., killed in action at Ypres, June 2nd, 1916
by Baker George Harold

5.0 out of 5 stars George Harold Baker 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles, 1 April 2013
An important piece of history, brought vividly to life in his letters home. Includes the best account I've seen of the Battle of Sanctuary Wood, which, luckily for me, my grandfather missed by being wounded already. Excellent!

Amedeo: A True Story of Love and War In Abyssinia
Amedeo: A True Story of Love and War In Abyssinia
by Sebastian O'Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Amadeo, 1 April 2013
An amazing story, and man, brought to us by Sebastian O'Kelly. Who needs fiction, when there are true stories which are more incredible than anything you could dream up? They won't need to write a screenplay for this - this book is all that's needed: history, locations, action, romance, dialogue! Lean would've made an Epic; Minghella would have produced something of stunning beauty; being English, I might not enjoy a Mel Gibson version; any other takers?

Galloper Jack: The Remarkable Story of the Man Who Rode a Real War Horse
Galloper Jack: The Remarkable Story of the Man Who Rode a Real War Horse
by Brough Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Galloper Jack, 9 May 2012
An excellently written book about the amazing life of Brigadier-Gen. Jack Seely D.S.O. (1868 - 1947); famous soldier, politician, lifeboatman and friend of Churchill. My particular interest was in the details of the Boer War service of the 41st Company (Hants) Imperial Yeomanry, that my grandfather was in as a trooper (by 1919 he was a Lt.-Col). However, the rest of the book was such an interesting history, that I didn't skip through the pages of politics! I know that doesn't say a lot for me, but it does for the book!

Swedish Fortresses: The Boeing F-17 Fortress in Civil and Military Service
Swedish Fortresses: The Boeing F-17 Fortress in Civil and Military Service
by Jan Forsgren

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Sam' and her sisters, 12 Feb. 2011
My e-mail to the author:-

Dear Jan,

I just got my copy of your most excellent and informative book, and wanted to congratulate you on a fine piece of work!

It's quite different from what I expected; much bigger for a start; and the fold-out colour profiles are a really nice addition.

My journey of discovery, starting from an original unidentified tiny and blurred photo, to the wealth of knowledge that I now have thanks to you and Mushroom, is definitely in the order of a quantum leap!

A huge thank you!

Very best wishes,

Pete.

Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers, 28 May 2010
Essential (repeated) listening. If there was a Nobel prize for Comic Satire, this should win every year! Whenever I ask if anyone outside my group of friends from the 70's if they know Firesign Theatre, nobody does. Shame. I want to use George Leroy Tirebiter (Tyrebiter) ordering Pizza to go, as my answer machine greeting. Now have the chance to hear the rest of their output, but I suspect this will always be my favourite. PEM.

National Treasure: The History of Trans Canada Airlines
National Treasure: The History of Trans Canada Airlines
by Peter Pigott

4.0 out of 5 stars National Treasure, 26 April 2010
Found this while researching some family history (my aunt was a stewardess starting with TCA in September 1958). Saw two reviews with very different viewpoints. The book is packed with photos and information. I found the politics heavy going (but I would!), but as a new Lockheed Lodestar Nut, there were some very informative details that I haven't seen anywhere else. A fascinating account of recent history. I will pass on my copy to my aunt with an old clipping glued in the back of her in uniform having just graduated out of Montreal. She's back with us in England now, and will enjoy reading this book. Pete Maxfield.