Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Cambridge, UK)

Roccat UK Layout Arvo Compact Gaming Keyboard
Roccat UK Layout Arvo Compact Gaming Keyboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard but too much money., 3 Mar 2014
This is a good keyboard, it feels nice to type on and the small profile makes your desk a lot bigger. However I found that after a while I was hunched over while using it, my hands were so close together that it was very easy to start sinking down as my elbows were so close to my sides.

The location of the cursor/delete keys is also a pain, I've used this for five twelve hour days and also over the weekend and I simply cannot get my fingers to locate the cursors and delete key without some significant key mashing, after a while it feels frustrating to feel like you're not getting any better with the location of the buttons. I think to really get the hang of this keyboard I'd need to replace all other keyboards I use (Work etc) with one of these so I didn't have any other layouts scuppering my progress.

I love the quick thumb keys, I've set them to cut, paste and copy as I do a lot of that and it's simply great - what a nice idea and surprising that I've not seen it more often. My thumb naturally moved between them after only a couple of hours use and I was delighted with the results.

Cost wise it's very expensive, at nearly £60 it's a lot of money to spend on something that isn't great for your posture simply to save some space.

Roccat Arvo Compact Gaming Keyboard
Roccat Arvo Compact Gaming Keyboard
Offered by Euromart UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard, too much money., 3 Mar 2014

Cost wise it's very expensive, at nearly £55 it's a lot of money to spend on something that isn't great for your posture simply to save some space.

Nespresso CitiZ and Milk by Magimix M190 Coffee Machine - Limousine Black
Nespresso CitiZ and Milk by Magimix M190 Coffee Machine - Limousine Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, 20 May 2012
I've put off buying a Nespresso machine for a long time, partly because I was in denial about my coffee addiction and mostly because George is so horribly insufferable in those adverts. However when Starbucks started asking my name I decided that it was time for me to dump them and start making my own. Spurred on by a variety of recommendations I decided on this model (albeit the cream version) about a month ago and can happily recommend it to anyone.

There's an implied level of quality by the marketing folks for all these machines and I'm happy to report that this thing is very solid and very well built. The capsules sit well in the machine and the whole process of generating the coffee oozes quality. The coffee itself is very nice, and no matter the capsule type I find that the taste is not quite as nice as coffee you get at Eat but well above that produced by Starbucks, the added bonus of course is that it doesn't ask your name and then get it wrong.

Now even though putting milk in coffee is basically ushering in Armageddon I was reliably informed that other people quite-like-it-thank-you-very-much so decided on the model with attached milky spinney thing, I've been told that it's very nice and the milk certainly makes a very pretty capuchino based drink.

The machine can take a bit of cleaning to keep it looking it's best but it's well worth the effort as it always gets a comment from friends who are as materialistic as I am.

All in all a great machine that will have you delighted with the results.

Fusion Brands Poachpod Egg Poacher, Two-Pack, Silicone, Green
Fusion Brands Poachpod Egg Poacher, Two-Pack, Silicone, Green
Offered by Harts Of Stur

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Terribly Useful, 18 Sep 2010
Bought these because I'd always wanted to make poached eggs but the results were somewhat average. It's true that you do need the lid on the pan to make it work but even if you manage to 'poach' the egg correctly it comes out looking like an egg mound (much like the egg poaching pans do). If you are boiling up a pan of water to use these then you may as well ditch them and just make the eggs as they should be. Splash of vinegar in the pan (white for preference), once it's at a rolling boil then crack the egg into a coffee cup and tip it into the pan letting the water spill into the cup just before you tip it in. Boil for about two minutes and they come out wonderfully, yolks runny and the egg white takes on a magnificent swirly shape with not a greased silicone sack in sight. Mine are now doing sterling duty as hanging baskets for small herb plants for which they get an extra star - magic!

Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - Guitar Bundle (Xbox 360)
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock - Guitar Bundle (Xbox 360)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing for the oldies!, 7 Feb 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
There's not a massive amount to say about this - the game is polished and sticks to the standard formula, the track listing (always going to be a personal thing) was really disappointing. Wifey and I knew 3 of the songs and all the rest were both horrible to play and horrible to listen to. We've played all in the series and have thoroughly enjoyed most of the songs in each, there's only one or two you skip because you're not a big fan.. We spent more time arguing about which song in each set we could both tolerate enough to play all the way through - in the end a happy compromise was reached when we muted the tele, relief followed and we could press on.

That said the two songs we enjoyed we're both excellent (G&R and Alice Cooper) we had high hopes for Anarchy in the UK but the singer wasn't having a good day. Even when we knew the band in question somehow they had ignored all their good stuff and chosen songs that have probably never seen the light of day.

I think it's just luck of the draw. We did notice how well polished the game was - the bonus stuff is superb and there's always the option of downloading new songs for grumpy musically ignorant people like ourselves. Clive Winston has thankfully been shot and replaced with a character that the wife was happy to play so that's not too bad!

Also the name of the game seems to indicate that there are more than one "Legend of Rock" we only spotted one; Slash. Good effort but the game has been reduced to a silent colour matching slog it's time to hand in the towel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2008 5:06 PM GMT

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100 Switch
Offered by NETWORK LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product, but dodgy firewall, 17 Aug 2004
This is generally a nice product; I won't bother reiterating the rest of the good points as you can read one of the many other reviews (good wireless, great config etc).
The only thing to be aware of is that the folks at Netgear thoroughly confuse NAT with Firewalling. I have a static IP address and a static range of IP's for use on my LAN. With this particular configuration the firewall just does not work. It does not block anything, when I questioned Netgear their response was that the firewall was a "NAT feature of the device".
So if you don't plan on having static IP addresses this is a first rate product and I highly recommend it. Should you however want to run in non-NAT mode then be warned, get yourself a real firewall.

Monstrous Regiment (Discworld Novels)
Monstrous Regiment (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great story!, 4 Oct 2003
I'm not sure how Terry manages to continually produce such a large amount of engaging and very humorous stories, but like a lot of people I'm very glad he does.
The plot of the book can be read above so we can dispense with any sort of summary, and proceed to go for the 'cheese' (because kisses never last! - read the book you'll get it)..
Terry manages to inspire a great deal of emotion with this new book, you are introduced to a group of young soldiers each with their own background and story as the turn of events progress you are given to sadness, joy and laughter.. Without much in the way of a detailed description Terry manages to inspire your imagination to fill in a lot of each location and scene. A good example of this is near the beginning of the book when one of the main characters are ministering to the wounded and although no real detail was given regarding the severity of their injuries your imagination is prompted to fill in the blanks based on the actions and responses of the characters. Not an easy thing to do but one that is accomplished through out the book flawlessly.
The story itself is very well articulated and played out, once again there are very few faults, beyond wishing it was twice the size! The characters are clearly defined and complement the narrative of the plot perfectly, it would have been nice to some extra detail and involvement with some of the main characters - in particular the character of Maladict seemed a little neglected, and felt as though there was an amazing opportunity to develop and detail this quite extraordinary person if only there were a few dozen more pages, however when the book ends you feel as though you wish you'd been there to ask more questions!
As far as the writing is concerned this was the only little gripe, and certainly isn't worth loosing a star for.. The reason I'm giving it 4 out of 5 is that Doubleday have done a particularly bad job of the layout of this book, I've managed to find several typographic errors in the book where possibly a phrase was changed but not corrected properly and the inclusion of bonus things like the 'business card' would have worked better if the little nuances of the card that the narrative described had been added to the card graphic in the book.. All in all it seems like the publisher wasn't really paying attention because they know that any Terry Pratchett book sells by the cartload (fair play to them I guess). It does nothing to spoil the story in any way but was a little disappointing.
In conclusion, an excellent story with appealing characters and a gloriously emotional and compelling narrative, if let down only very slightly by the proof read.

Sehnsucht
Sehnsucht

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch!, 2 Mar 2000
This review is from: Sehnsucht (Audio CD)
This album has to be one of the best that I have listened to in quite a while. I got the limited edition of Sehnsucht with 2 excellent bonus tracks/remixes. Well worth the extra, oh hang on it's the same price - get it now!
I noticed that the album was released in 1998 and that I got number album number 18 - so this means that they must sell about 9 albums per year bless'em. Don't let this put you off it's a great album.