Profile for PluckyBrit > Reviews

Content by PluckyBrit

PluckyBrit

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Acer XB270HUbprz 27 inch Monitor (16:9, 4 ms, 100M:1, ACM)
Acer XB270HUbprz 27 inch Monitor (16:9, 4 ms, 100M:1, ACM)

2.0 out of 5 stars The pretender to the throne..., 28 April 2015
Nice specification but as someone that purchased both this monitor and an ROG Swift with the intention of creating a 7680x1440 surround set up I decided on the Swift. The Acer has the right specification, but specification does not a good monitor make, the one I received (from Italy) had back-light bleed that was quite severe. This issue was compounded by the overall cheap appearance and feel of the Acer, everything about the Swift feels bespoke for gaming, the Acer feels the same as any of it's cheap monitors with shiny reflective black bezels that suffer from reflection, and the fact they just feel cheaply made, even the power led glows through the control buttons... the Swift had won the battle before I even turned them on, with its stunning matt black stealth fighter aesthetic.

For me personally I won't touch another product from Acer, I previously purchased their 4k G-Sync monitor as well and that suffered from the same back light bleed and shared the same cheap bezel, not to mention it developed a stuck pixel within a couple of days... Acer's quality control is quite apparent when you look at their dead pixel policy vs Asus, with Asus ONE stuck pixel is considered a fault, with Acer SIXTEEN are considered a fault, that's just shocking and for the money I'd expect more. I've now received 4 Rog Swifts, I was so impressed I purchased one for my partners PC as well and they are all faultless 100%, well done Asus QC department. I've had three Acer monitors, two 2k4k and one of these and they've all had issues, 100% Acer...umm no that's not a good thing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2015 10:18 PM BST

Acer Predator XB280HKbprz 28-Inch 4K2K LED G-Sync Gaming Monitor (1 ms, Displayport, 380x2160, 100M:1, Height Adjust, Pivot)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent gaming credentials., 18 April 2015
Great value for money considering you're getting a 4k G-Sync monitor for under £500.

Picture quality is nice if a little unnatural, it's a gaming monitor so it's only really performance within games that I'm interested in and to that end it performs well, providing decent if sometimes inaccurate looking hues.

Backlight isn't a strong point on this monitor, and it would seem to be the case across the board that some level of backlight bleed will exist regardless of how lucky you may be, my panel has considerable bleed around the edges, indicative of a cheaper edge lit LCD but it's not especially noticeable whilst gaming.

The panel has no dead or stuck pixels.

Build quality isn't the best, but does offer a decent amount of adjustments.

In closing this is a decent gaming monitor, just don't expect it to be any good for professional purposes. If you're a gamer with a decent set up and you want a monitor for less then £500 this is probably the best companion for your system right now, just don't expect something of premium quality, I think Acer's quality control team have a lot of time off...

We also have an ROG swift in the household and that is the only G-Sync alternative right now worth considering, the Swift has a more premium feel to it's construction and provides an exceptional frame rate, I prefer a smooth gaming experience so the Swift wins for me but this is a good option if 4k's your thing.

Dell UP2715K 27-Inch Ultra HD 5K LCD Monitor (1000:1, 350 cd/m2, 5120 x 2880, 8ms, Mini DP/DP/USB) - Black
Offered by NRG IT Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars A window to a better world!, 12 April 2015
The only monitor of its kind currently available for PC (04/15) and it honestly is a mind blowing display.

Images have a wonderful crisp clarity and the image quality surpasses everything I've seen so far from 4K monitors. deep rich colours and solid blacks are on show straight from the box. I purchased this as a gaming monitor, I know that was never the intended audience but hey, it's the highest resolution out there, some of us will want it for gaming. The good news is input lag is indiscernible, something I was concerned about as it's quite prevalent on 4K monitors, I recently tried the Acer PA328Q, this thing is in another league. I haven't noticed any significant motion blur or artefacts during quick motion and if you've got the graphical grunt to push the 14 plus million pixels this is truly a mirror into your gaming worlds.

In summary I'm sure this would make a wonderful monitor for photo and video editors as it has exceptional colour calibration from the box, the surprise is it's also a capable gaming screen if you have the power to push it. I use GTX Titan X cards in 2 way SLI with a mild overclock coupled with an I7 4930 Extreme with a moderate overclock and on most games with ultra settings and no AA (not required at all) I'm getting between 37-60 fps so perfectly playable.

If I were to highlight a negative it would be that with V-Sync off you can notice quite a bit of tearing at times, it's only a minor gripe but I had to think of something.

Highly recommended, for the photo professional, the video editor and fool hardy gamers amongst you!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 22, 2015 6:17 PM BST

Samsung S34E790C 34-Inch Curved LED Monitor
Samsung S34E790C 34-Inch Curved LED Monitor
Offered by Kikatek

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Monitor., 30 Mar. 2015
Nice subtle curve, lovely colours and black levels, decent response and input lag for serious gaming.

No real issues at all with this monitor and better value then the LG alternatives.

I'd recommend this for just about anyone. I previously had a Rog Swift and although that monitor is obviously an awesome gaming screen I prefer the cinematic experience this aspect ratio provides and I can't notice much more in the way of lag between the two, it exists, I just can't really perceive it.

Wheel Stand Pro for Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel - DELUXE V2
Wheel Stand Pro for Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel - DELUXE V2
Offered by SectorOne

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality stand., 7 Mar. 2015
Excellent rock solid stand that firmly holds everything where you need it to be and comfortably adjusts for any seating position, be it at a desk with a PC or on the sofa with your Xbone, very well made, heavy and sturdy feeling, highly recommended!

Turtle Beach XO Seven Pro Gaming Headset - Xbox One
Turtle Beach XO Seven Pro Gaming Headset - Xbox One
Offered by Dealberry.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent option., 3 Mar. 2015
For the money these are a nice set of headphones, comfortable, seemingly well made with a decent quality mic and sound quality. At £129.99 which is the high street going rate they are likely the best option within that price range. They do not offer the premium quality of the likes of the Astro A50 but at half the price they're a great choice.

Driveclub - Special Edition (PS4)
Driveclub - Special Edition (PS4)

2.0 out of 5 stars The graphics are great, the handling is a good balance between arcade ..., 27 Feb. 2015
The graphics are great, the handling is a good balance between arcade and light simulation but the game just has no soul or goal, I don't see the point of it, I prefer The Crew and Need for Speed to this, although IMO Forza is the best of the bunch.

The Order: 1886 (PS4)
The Order: 1886 (PS4)
Offered by Level99Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Late to the party, but worth the wait., 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Order: 1886 (PS4) (Video Game)
Despite some of the negative critical attention, I throughly enjoyed this game, At a time when so many games bloat themselves with pointless filler (I'm looking at you ubisoft) this is a sharp, atmospheric, damn right beautiful experience. Deserves to be played by every ps4 owner.

Evolve (PS4)
Evolve (PS4)
Offered by IDSS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, a thinking man's shooter., 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Evolve (PS4) (Video Game)
I may be fortunate that I frequently have three other players that I can team up with to play this game and in these circumstances it's great fun.
The whole DLC "thing" is not really a "thing" at all, basically all of the DLC currently available as of this review is cosmetic, you can buy it or you can leave it, either way it does not impact the game experience in anyway. Myself and my friends are really enjoying our time with Evolve, it's tactical, it's team focused and if you have a decent team you'll get a great deal of enjoyment out of this game.

If you don't have friends to play the game the experience can be less enjoyable but I think people that were treating this game like COD and going solo to kill the monster and been eviscerated back to reality and generally teams now stick together.
It's fun, you can be a monster and each class brings it's unique flavour to the game, recommended.

The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4)
Offered by games-n-console-land

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it., 20 Feb. 2015
One of the best told stories in gaming history. In my top five games of all time and coming from a gamer of 29 years that's a recommendation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9