Profile for Joel Nichols > Reviews

Joel Nichols

Razer Deathadder Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Razer Deathadder Ergonomic Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars It's actually a good mouse, 23 Jun 2014
It's rare that I have anything to say about Razer, with their low quality mechanical keyboards and mice that don't track well / have a tendency to randomly die, but the Razer Deathadder 2013 is actually very good and is arguably one of the best computer mice on the market right now.

Whilst you can certainly get something a bit cheaper which will likely fulfil your needs just fine (Logitech comes to mind) this is actually a very good mouse.

Would recommend.

Stagg SGC3DL 3m/10 ft Deluxe Standard Guitar Cable - Black
Stagg SGC3DL 3m/10 ft Deluxe Standard Guitar Cable - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an unbalanced jack cable, 23 Jun 2014
What is there to say about this really? It's an unbalanced jack cable. You plug one end into one music related thing, and plug the other end into another music related thing. And then sound is transferred between said musical things.

It does work though. So it gets 5 stars for that.

Apple ME294B/A 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Intel Quad Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB HDD, Iris Pro Graphics, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Mac OS X)
Offered by Fair-deal Company
Price: £1,569.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic productivity machine, 30 May 2014
I bought this laptop after seeing one in an Apple store and being amazed by the quality of the display. I bought from Amazon because of the heavily discounted price compared to what Apple charge in the UK and honestly it was quite a relief to find that the laptop did actually turn up and was in sealed packaging haha.

The only thing that's different is that yes - this is a Hong Kong import with a US layout keyboard. Whilst I can understand that there are people who are used to the UK layout and would prefer to keep using it, considering how heavily discounted this machine is on Amazon I think it's something that I can let slide, especially as I use the US Dvorak keyboard layout regardless, which makes the UK style enter key apparently worth around £600 in plastic. To clarify, as Hong Kong do use the British style plugs it does come with both a British style plug and a US style one - the charger is happy with 100 or 240 volts so can be used internationally. The fact that it's imported also does not affect the Apple warranty.

Whilst this is certainly a high end, premium laptop, you definitely do get your money's worth. The screen is easily the best I've ever seen on a notebook computer and the viewing angles are spectacular. I was amazed by how the screen is still very readable even in direct sunlight and the colours really do 'pop'. The level of detail on the retina display is just phenomenal, and you can choose which resolution you want it to simulate. The default is essentially 1440x900 with more detail but you can opt for the equivalent of 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 (you can get more flexibility with third party software, for example Pupil which I do recommend as it gives you an option in the menu bar to change the resolution).

Also, quite simply, OS X is a fantastic operating system. Think Linux but software actually exists for it. The notebook is stupidly fast and boots in only a couple of seconds and I suspect the machine is waiting on me more than I am on it.

As someone who develops web applications freelance, Windows just isn't practical to work with without having a Linux virtual machine available. Developing on OS X is much quicker and dare I say it more fun. Everything does just work and Ruby is even pre-installed (although if you're a developer the first thing you'll probably do is install RVM). Funnily enough, even terminal windows look nice.

Essentially if you can afford this laptop - buy it. It's worth every penny, especially at the stupidly low price it has on Amazon. Yes, you probably can buy a Windows laptop for less, but in my experience you're almost always sacrificing something, whether it's the quality of the screen, the specifications or the build quality. That and OS X is, in my opinion, vastly superior to Windows.

Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard (UK Layout)
Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard (UK Layout)
Offered by Ordel

3.0 out of 5 stars There's better mechanical keyboards out there, 21 May 2014
There's definitely much better mechanical keyboards available for not a whole lot more. For example, the qpad MK-85 (which is actually just a rebranded iOne) is considerably more solidly built and only costs slightly more.

With that said, it is a mechanical keyboard and it is cheap, but honestly the poor build quality and the cheap key caps really do affect the overall typing experience on this keyboard, which makes it very difficult to recommend.

If you have money to spend, I'd definitely recommend something like the Ducky Shine 3 over this, especially as the newer Razer BlackWidow 2014 now uses off-brand switches.

Sony PS3 500GB Super Slim Console with Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Sony PS3 500GB Super Slim Console with Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Offered by Staraxe Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars It plays games, 21 May 2014
Well, it's not a PC (and I'm a PC gamer honestly), but it does allow me to play GTA V, so it gets some points there.

My only complaint is that the newer, slim model doesn't allow me to cook food on its casing. I'm a bit disappointed as honestly I expected better after seeing the videos on YouTube. It also makes a terrible waffle iron.

With that said, it does play GTA V reasonably well so again, more points there.

I just hope there's a PC version soon - the low framerate and lack of detail is killing me.

25m Network Cable CAT5e RJ45 Patch Ethernet 25 meter UK
25m Network Cable CAT5e RJ45 Patch Ethernet 25 meter UK
Offered by CrossCables

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cable, 21 May 2014
It's a cable. Sure, it's not a $10,000 Denon cable, but it is a cable. A functional cable at that.

I mean, I've got a UniFi at one end, and a RouterBoard at the other. I can confirm the two do talk to each other. And this cable is very good at sitting between the two.

My only real complaint would be the lack of LEDs and 'go faster' stripes.

Guild Wars 2 - Standard Edition (PC DVD)
Guild Wars 2 - Standard Edition (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best MMO I've played in a long time, 10 May 2014
I'm pretty casual as gamers go - I primarily spend my time writing code and yelling at people on the internet so I don't spend a huge amount of my time playing games. With that said, Guild Wars 2 is easily the most casual friendly MMORPG I've played whilst still retaining incredible depth and a huge wealth of content.

Guild Wars 2 has an insane amount of content and at the same time doesn't feature the grind found in many other MMOs. It's a game where you're rewarded essentially for running around the world and doing things - anything - and getting rewarded for it. Exploration is a huge part of this game and it is one of the first MMOs I've played where you do feel that it is a living, breathing world. The new megaserver feature adds to this further by ensuring that all of the zones in the world are highly populated. It's certainly also a very social game - just run around the world, join in with events and you're bound to meet other players, who, in my experience are far more friendly than those found in other online games. The game encourages co-operation. There's no kill, loot or resource stealing.

The world is absolutely beautiful and the game highly encourages exploration. You gain experience for visiting 'points of interest' and for viewing 'vistas' - hard to reach places with stunning views of the in-game world. The game tracks your progress exploring and rewards you for completing entire zones and the map itself.

The game has a hugely dynamic combat system, with the game encouraging dodging and running. The combat is very much action based and it feels considerably less 'rooted' than the combat in World of Warcraft, where moving cancels your spell cast.

Whilst it's certainly not perfect I'd argue it's still the best MMORPG on the market right now and whilst I'm sure I'll get a lot of shouting at for saying, I much prefer it to Blizzard's World of Warcraft, although if I'm perfectly honest I wouldn't say they're entirely comparable. World of Warcraft has very different gameplay, featuring a different combat system effectively based on getting the highest numbers whereas Guild Wars 2 is much more action oriented, but arguably at the expense of complexity. Guild Wars 2 lacks the traditional questing system featured in World of Warcraft and instead prefers to encourage you to simply run around the world, do things and get rewarded to it.

If you're new to the MMORPG genre I would wholeheartedly recommend that you start with Guild Wars 2. With that said, if you're expecting a World of Warcraft clone this probably isn't it. I do think it's the better game by far but the fact is that it's largely down to personal preference and what kind of game you prefer.

With that said, the lack of subscription fee I'd imagine makes this a very easy decision for many.

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro MD103B/A (Intel Quad-Core i7 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA GT 650M, OS X Lion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic laptop, 10 May 2014
I've had this MacBook for just over a year now and it's an absolutely wonderful machine. The i7 featured in it is actually faster than the Sandy Bridge i5 I have in my desktop by a fair margin and it shows!

Generally speaking it runs fairly cool, is thin and light and fits nicely into my bag - I primarily use this as my work machine so it does get lugged around a fair bit.

Honestly whilst it's very expensive for what it is, it's a solid machine and it hasn't let me down at all in the way that many other laptops have in the past, so I feel it's more than justified. That and the resale value on Macs is insane - you can often get back not much less than you paid for the machine even a few years down the line.

One recommendation I would make however is to get an SSD for it, or buy the retina models. If I'm perfectly honest I do regret not buying the retina version but was scared by the lack of an upgrade path. Adding an SSD to this machine however does improve performance dramatically, plus it's a fairly easy upgrade to do.

Behringer X1622USB Xenyx 16 Input 2/2 Bus Mixer
Behringer X1622USB Xenyx 16 Input 2/2 Bus Mixer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money, 4 July 2013
I have owned this mixer for around 3 months now, and so far my experience has been very positive.

I bought this as essentially I needed an easy way to combine the outputs of my keyboards, podXT, microphone and bass, largely for convenience. This mixer fits the bill very well, especially considering its low price point. The USB interface also makes it easy to record with, however keep in mind that as has been stated previously, the USB output only records the main out, so left + right channel.

My only complaint would be that the amplification is slightly noisy when turned up high - this could be resolved by using an external amplifier, which I intend to purchase at a later date.

One other issue - I've had some instability with the ASIO drivers and Windows 8 - a couple of bluescreens here and there, seems to have something to do with power saving mode and has also been reported with similarly priced M-Audio devices. I suspect one would need a good firewire interface to avoid this unfortunately. In fairness, I don't have this problem with my Yamaha MOX6's audio interface, however it isn't really suitable for recording multiple instruments with, hence why I bought this mixer.

Overall, for the money it's excellent - you won't find something with more features for the price. Whilst it does have its limitations, often mixers which do feature multi-track USB recording, lower noise outputs and better drivers cost considerably more.

Razer RZ03-00181800-R3W1 Lycosa Mirror Gaming Keyboard
Razer RZ03-00181800-R3W1 Lycosa Mirror Gaming Keyboard

2.0 out of 5 stars There's much better keyboards available for the money, 2 Mar 2011
The keyboard itself isn't exactly bad - it's a membrane keyboard and it looks pretty but honestly it's difficult to recommend.

There's definitely better keyboards out there and for the money you can just about afford a fairly decent mechanical keyboard and honestly, why anyone would buy this when you could get a mechanical keyboard is beyond me. The keys on this are quite simply mushy and fatiguing to type on and the glossy plastic attracts grease, dirt and fingerprints like nothing I've ever seen before.

In addition, it does not feature N-Key rollover or anything of the sort. It does have a 'gaming optimised cluster', whatever that means, but the reality is this is a 2 key rollover keyboard, so even if you are using it for its intended purpose (gaming), it simply isn't fit for purpose.

If you absolutely must have a shiny blue keyboard then maybe you should buy this. Perhaps you're also the kind of person who buys Beats by Dre.