Profile for Sheli > Reviews

Content by Sheli

Sheli

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Cupcakes at Carrington's (Carrington's Book 1)
Cupcakes at Carrington's (Carrington's Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wait to read more about Carrington's, 21 Sept. 2013
I have wanted to read this book since it was first published, and I have no idea what took me so long! Other than the fab sounding story I was attracted by the beautiful cover!

The main character Georgie is a hard working girl who really loves her job working in her local family owned department store. When a consultant is brought in to try and give the store a high end makeover, Georgie’s life is thrown into disarray as she is unsure of the safety of her job. It also transpires that perhaps she isn’t dealing with her past as well as she thought she was. And let’s not get started on her complicated love life!

The descriptions of Carrington’s brought back memories of the old family run department store that I visited when I was growing up, only with a lot more designer goods! The characters are really likeable, particularly Georgie and Eddie, and the author has done a brilliant job of keeping us in the dark about whether or not we can trust some of Georgie’s colleagues. I really liked that Georgie was a very down to earth, normal girl (who has her fair share of embarrassing moments) and I could imagine being friends with her.

Some parts of the book are laugh out loud funny and I had tears in my eyes when reading others (you’ll know which ones when you read it!). I really can’t get over the fact that this book is Alexandra Brown’s debut as it definitely had the feel of more accomplished chick lit writers. The book left me wanting more from the characters and I can’t wait to read more about them and the adventures at Carrington’s!

The Radio
The Radio
by M. Jonathan Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 13 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Radio (Paperback)
I was expecting good things from this book when I started it, but never expected it to be as good as it was!

We meet George who is a loveable father figure who is just a little eccentric, and his wife Shelia and daughter Sam. They are a fairly typical family with their fair share of dysfunctional attributes! George, the downtrodden husband finds an old radio that he starts tinkering around with while his wife and daughter go out and have fun while he looks after his grand daughter. The tinkering becomes a bit more than that when he and the radio become inseparable and it becomes the most important thing in his life.

Some parts of the book had me laughing out loud, most had me chuckling, but some bits were desperately sad. The book was fabulously written and it was a real pleasure to read. It’s easy going style and good pace kept me gripped and I finished the whole thing in a day. I’d love to read more about George and his family, and a little birdie had told me that there is more to come.

A fantastic book which is comparable to The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Lost and Found. You should all go and buy it now!!

One Step Too Far
One Step Too Far
by Tina Seskis

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow., 13 April 2013
This review is from: One Step Too Far (Paperback)
This story is a real keep you on the edge of your seat thriller that is that clever you aren't really sure why you are on the edge of your chair, but just know that something isn't right! It is fast paced, exciting and actually, for most of the story, is the picture of normality, with just a sense of what is to come.

Emily Coleman runs away to London. We don't know why, we just know she does and that she is leaving her family behind. When she gets there, she builds a new life for herself and makes new friends. The main story is intertwined with a number of stories explaining how we got to today, with one large piece missing until the last part of the book.

The book is separated into three parts with short chapters within each part. From about half way through the second part I was frantically trying to stay awake to keep reading because the twists just kept coming.

There is no way that you can guess how it ends. Or for that matter how it begins!

Comparable with S. J. Watson's excellent Before I Go To Sleep.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2013 11:49 AM BST

To Be Honest
To Be Honest

4.0 out of 5 stars A well deserved 4 stars, 10 Nov. 2012
This review is from: To Be Honest (Kindle Edition)
I was sent this book to review by the author and really liked the blurb for the book.

The book follows the main character Lisi and the trials and tribulations she suffers as a teenager. She has an unhealthy obsession with her English teacher, Miss Mint, as she thinks that she is perfect and aspires to be exactly like her. After a freak weather event, Lisi find out exactly what it is like to be Miss Mint!

I found the very beginning of the book a little slow, partly because I find it a little difficult to identify with teenagers who live a different life to my teenage years. I liked Lisi, although she could be irritating sometimes. I think that the writing has captured her teenage naivety and blinkered approach to other people's feelings particularly well. Once the twist in the book happened and Lisi and Miss Mint swapped lives I couldn't put the book down!

The book dealt with some hard issues like eating disorders, friendship and money worries very well in a light hearted way, but without being insensitive. I also liked the way that the reader found out that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and that appearances can be deceptive.

The voice of the book is very modern with popular culture references, but it is done very well without being annoying or overdoing the references.

I would read more from this author and would give this book a well deserved 4 stars.

Kismetology
Kismetology

5.0 out of 5 stars A very talented indie author, 20 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Kismetology (Kindle Edition)
I read this book as it was written by an up and coming indie author and I liked the premise of the story. I have read a number of indie books and have to say that Jaimie is up there with the best of them!

I have to say that this book is extremely well written and is an impressive full length novel. This is particularly unusual for a first time self-published author. I would even go as far as saying that Jaimie has the potential to be up there with the great chick lit writers as I have read plenty of books by conventionally published chick lit authors that pale in comparison to this one.

The story is about a girl named Mackenzie who moves in with her boyfriend a few doors down from her meddling mother and sets out to find her a man to keep her occupied. The book is very funny and thoughtful and isn't as predictable as a lot of chick lit. There are enough events in the book to keep you interested and it isn't over complicated with too many characters as a lot of books can be. I also enjoyed the pace of the book and how the story unfolded.

I have to say that I think Jaimie is an indie author to keep an eye on. She has real talent and as the quality of her first book is so high then I am particularly excited about reading more of her work.

If you like authors such as Talli Roland, Jane Costello and Marian Keyes then this book is for you!

Lancashire Hotpot Loves Welsh Rarebit
Lancashire Hotpot Loves Welsh Rarebit

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 22 July 2012
I really enjoyed this short story and it made me laugh on a few occasions throughout.

The story follows the main character Jake as he meets another writer Morwenna in an online forum and takes quite a liking to her. The story follows Jake as his interest in Morwenna grows and we also see a couple of very quick twists.

I liked the way that this story was written as it really helped to covey the mood of the book, as although it seems very relaxed at the beginning, the style aids the writer to make the tone increasingly manic.

I would like to read more by the author and would recommend this to anyone who would like a quick read that makes you laugh out loud.

Build A Man (Serenity Holland Book 1)
Build A Man (Serenity Holland Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and well written, 16 Jun. 2012
I downloaded this book some time ago after reading Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts. I finally got round to reading it this week and am very glad that I did!

Although I am a fan of certain types of chick lit, I don't like stories with no substance behind them. I was not disappointed by this book.

I was immediately drawn into the world of Serenity and she was an instantly likeable character. She is a young woman who has moved to London from Maine to make her dream of becoming a tabloid reporter come true. Instead she is living with her boring cosmetic surgeon boyfriend Peter, and working in his clinic as a receptionist. Serenity's big break comes, but she risks her job, friendship and relationship trying to do what she believed she had always wanted.

All of the characters in this book were very believeable and I couldn't wait to read more about what Serenity was going to do next and how new friendships would develop. There was a twist that I really didn't expect that meant I couldn't put my kindle down until I had found out what had happened, and I particularly appreciated Serenity's visit to Wales near the end of the book, to one of my favourite places.

I would recommend this fun and well written read, and am looking forward to reading more of Talli's books and more about Serenity's adventures.

Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain
Are We Nearly There Yet?: A Family's 8,000-Mile Car Journey Around Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars, without a doubt, 30 May 2012
I downloaded this book by chance and I am glad I did as I really enjoyed reading it.

The story follows Ben as he embarks on a five month trip around Britain with his wife and two children under the age of four, all in a Vauxhall Astra. He is intending to review accommodation and attractions based on how child friendly they are for a guidebook. This book details his travels in a personal way, including a very personal journey he was forced to embark on at the same time as the trip. It is like a travel diary which sits behind the published guidebook and gives a frank and personal account of both the journey around Britain and the emotional journey Ben embarked on.

It was really well written and easy to read. I loved reading about the family's experiences in places I know and the stories about the children were really funny and made me glad I have a cat and no small children!

This book made me laugh and parts of it made me cry. This is a real person's account of the ups and downs of real life. How families and relationships really are. None of this rose tinted glasses and romance malarkey. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that likes reading about other people. Just brace yourself to laugh, blink back tears and go on a whistle-stop tour around Britain!!

Seesaw - Volume I
Seesaw - Volume I

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant up and coming writer, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Seesaw - Volume I (Kindle Edition)
I have read some of Rosen's work before and have really enjoyed it so was looking forward to giving this a go. I was not disappointed.

The book has a foreword from the author explaining her reasons for writing and her own battles and I really thought that this gave an extra dimension to the book to know that the stories were so close to the authors heart.

This book is a collection of short stories and contains a real mixture of very funny stories and some really serious and emotional pieces. Rosen does both funny and serious just as well as each other and I wish her every luck with her career, I'm sure she will be very successful.

My favourite stories from this collection were There's Something Wrong With the Man Nextdoor as it was hilarious and The Selfish Act as it was thought provoking and could be well used to bring more attention to mental health illnesses in the UK and how they can make sufferers feel.

Rosen's style of writing reminds me of my own and I can also see myself in many of her characters. I would recommend this versatile and talented writer and all styles of her work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2012 8:42 PM BST

On the Rocks
On the Rocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great story, 10 April 2012
This review is from: On the Rocks (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this short story very much. It was very different to other pieces I have read by Rosen Trevithick, but it showed that she can write about harder subjects as well as being humorous.

This book centres around two female charcters and shows the effects of mental health illnesses. I think the writing did this very well without demonising sufferers, but highlighted the important fact that just because someone looks ok on the outside and seems to be functioning well in life, it does not mean that they cannot suffer from a depressive illness.

I had tears in my eyes reading this book, but it also shows that you can get through it, although it will never be easy.

I look forward to reading more of Rosen's more serious work as much as her funny chick lit style stories.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4