Profile for Sheli > Reviews

Content by Sheli

Sheli

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Model Misfit (Geek Girl, Book 2)
Model Misfit (Geek Girl, Book 2)
by Holly Smale

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic follow up, 23 Nov 2013
I first became acquainted with the Geek Girl series and Harriet Manners a few months ago when I read the first book. Harriet became my hero at this point, and I couldn’t wait to read more about her adventures!

The second book in the series, Model Misfit, does not disappoint. It’s six months later and Harriet is still modelling, her stepmother is heavily pregnant and even more importantly, she is still a geek! Not much seems to have changed in Harriet’s life, apart from the graffiti on her bag becoming more creative. We join Harriet on the day of her last exam. Which she manages to turn up to painted gold and wearing a shredded sweatshirt following a modelling shoot. See, totally normal!

I love that Harriet hasn’t become any more refined or less clumsy despite her new status as a teen model. She is still as accident prone as ever, and when reading her adventures you are guaranteed that hilarity will ensue! And this time, Harriet’s adventures take us across the world to Japan for a shoot with Yuka. She shares an apartment out there with two other models, including Japanese girl Rin, who is one of the funniest characters I have come across for a while! Rin is obsessed with all things Australian and is trying to learn English. That’s when she’s not dressing up her cat, Kylie Minogue, in clothes to match her own Harajuku fashions!

And we can’t forget Lion Boy. He is very much a feature in this book even if it’s not in the fairytale fashion I think we would all like yo read about. You will have to read the book to find out how it turns out though! Harriet’s eccentric grandmother Bunty also makes an appearance in this book and I hope we see more of her in the next book in the series.

As I’m sure you can tell from all of my gushing, I really enjoyed this book. I read it in 3 sittings as I just couldn’t get enough of it. It would have been fewer if I hadn’t had to get up for work the next day! I believe that the Geek Girl series is due to be a trilogy, but I really hope that Holly a Smale can write us more Geek Girl stories than that. I really don’t want to think that the next book might be the last!

A fantastic series from a British YA writer. And Harriet is definitely a better role model for girls than many others I can think of (*coughs*…Miley Cyrus…) and you should all go and buy it and stay up all night to read it!!

Afterlife Academy
Afterlife Academy
by Jaimie Admans

5.0 out of 5 stars A really original read, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Afterlife Academy (Paperback)
This book is the third book that up and coming indie author Jaimie Admans has published in the last 6 months, and boy is it a cracker.

To be honest I was expecting your average young adult slightly paranormal romance. But I was pleasantly surprised!! The storyline of this book is so original and every detail is well thought through and the imagery is brilliant.

I found it hard to put the book down and read it everwhere when I was reading it, in my favourite coffee shop, in bed, whilst eating my tea and even on the break of a training course! I would definitely recommend this book for a fun read that has a bit of the paranormal, some romance and is still well written.

I would like to see this book made into a series as I liked the characters and think a lot more could be made of them, particularly Riley and Narcissa.

All in all, another excellent book from a very talented indie author!

North Pole Reform School
North Pole Reform School

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fun and full of Christmas cheer, 23 Nov 2013
North Pole Reform School is the latest book from the very lovely Jaimie Admans, and unsurprisingly is a Christmas book!

This time we are transported to the North Pole with Mistletoe Bell after she ruins the Christmas of others. A purple moose comes in the middle of the night to whisk Mis away, and when she wakes up she’s with a group of people at the North Pole who are all there to be reformed.

The group of Christmas ruiners that she joins includes a duck phobic, a boy who thinks he’s dead, the awful Joe and the very lovely Luke. They are all there for a reason, and in order to graduate they must learn why Christmas is meaningful to others. This must be fine whilst surrounded by elves, surviving on a diet of candy canes and mince pies, listening to constant Christmas songs and that even before we mention the mean Santa and North Pole zombies!

This book was really fun and I really enjoyed reading it. The detail surrounding the North Pole is amazing and Jaimie must have done a lot of Christmassy research! The story is a good mix of fun and some more serious messages. It did make me think about how Christmas means different things to different people, and how magical it can be to those with children.

NPRS is a good mix of YA with fantasy and a bit of romance thrown in. A great bit of light relief to get you in a Christmassy mood!

Christmas at Carrington's
Christmas at Carrington's

5.0 out of 5 stars Alexandra Brown has done it again!, 23 Nov 2013
I recently read Cupcakes at Carrington’s and the novella Me and Mr Carrington and absolutely loved both of them. So when this little beauty plopped through my letterbox I couldn’t wait to read it.

We catch up with our favourite characters a few months after where we left off. Georgie is still loving Carrington’s (and Mr Carrington), Sam is enjoying life as a newly wed and Eddie is as fabulous as ever! One evening when Georgie settles down to indulge in a bit of crap tv, she finds that she is on it and that a pilot of a new reality show has been filmed at Carrington’s without her knowledge. And the footage of her dancing along to Beyoncé ends up on YouTube. And even worse than that, Tom kept the filming a secret from her.

The show gets picked up and Georgie becomes a star along with the rest of the “cast” at Carrington’s and soon finds herself being recognised on the bus and even getting papped while out and about. Because of an argument with Tom about the filming, they aren’t speaking, but she soon learns what he’s up to when the show is broadcast. And more importantly, who he is with.

I absolutely devoured this book and loved every word! And speaking of devouring, all of the mentions of red velvet cupcakes meant that I accidentally ended up baking three dozen of them!

I really love the characters, especially Georgie, and the way that Alexandra is able to drag you into the story and keep it really well paced is brilliant. I really liked reading more about Georgie’s dad and their improving relationship, and thinking about Carrington’s all trimmed up for Christmas reminded me of going to visit Santa’s grotto in my local department store as a child.

I’d definitely recommend it and think it’d make a fab Christmas present! The cover is so pretty too! The next book in the series is due in 2014 and I’m already looking forward to it!

Me and Mr Carrington: A Short Story
Me and Mr Carrington: A Short Story

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab appetiser before the next book, 18 Oct 2013
I found out about this short story just as I finished reading Cupcakes at Carrington’s and just had to preorder it to get my next fix!

I was not disappointed! This is another fantastic read and we get to meet some of our favourite characters again. We also get to meet Georgie’s new assistant on the Luxury Handbag section and a few new rich customers.

Tom doesn’t make an appearance until quite late in the book and my heart was in my mouth for a good chunk of the story wondering what would happen next!

This book is a lovely little appetiser before Christmas at Carrington’s is published, and contains an excerpt of it at the end. The only problem is I want to read it NOW!!

Cold Fusion 2000
Cold Fusion 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Cold Fusion 2000 (Kindle Edition)
I was sent†a copy of this book by the author for review as he had noticed that I had read The Rosie Project. I was keen to give this book a try as I had really enjoyed The Rosie Project earlier this year.

When I read the line "1992. The Shamen yelled "Eezer Goode, Eezer Goode". Alex listened;†decided that MSc's 're good and started his postgrad in physics." I was hooked. As a 90s dance music loving geek, I knew that this was going to work out well!

The story is about a man called Alex who is trying to get on with his life following a break up that pulled his life apart. Only to have his ex return to his life and make things a whole lot more confusing for him. The book follows his journey through this and his way to resolution. I don't want to say too much about the book as I don't want to spoil it, but there are clues in the book leading up to a twist at the end. I didn't see the twist coming and only realised what the clues were after I'd read it and started thinking about how we had got there.

A great book which I think every reader will interpret slightly differently and get something different from

Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1)
Geek Girl (Geek Girl, Book 1)
by Holly Smale

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!, 21 Sep 2013
What can I say? I was drawn to this book by the cover, and we all love a geek (especially if you are one like me!) and had to give it a go.

It was a quick, fun read and had more substance to it than I was expecting. The main character Harriet reminded me of myself as a teenager as she was a social outcast who couldn’t do or say the right thing at the right time, but was very brainy. Although I have to say that the similarities to my own youth stopped at the modelling contract!

Some parts of the book were laugh out loud funny, particularly when Harriet was getting into the world of modelling. I loved that it was a book about the geeky girl who did well in an unexpected way, and was a teeny bit jealous that I hadn’t had the same opportunities!

I liked the style of writing for this book and hope that this isn’t the last we see of Harriet Manners. I will also be seeking out more of Holly Smale’s work in future.

A great book, for both adult and young adult readers.

X
X

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written short story, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: X (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this short story on my Kindle as I was intrigued by the blurb. I also love a good short story so was looking forward to giving this a go!

I read this on the train to Bath, so it was a very quick read, but believe me it packed a punch! X is living in a cellar and knows that she is going to die, she just isn’t sure when. We know something bad has happened, we just don’t know exactly what or why. There are indications to what it may be, but we are never too for certain.

We follow the diary of X as she tries to survive and also remembers what life was like before, and those she has lost.

This is a really well written short story and reminded me of Brother in the Land by Robert Swindells. It wasn’t a happy book by any means, but the writing dragged you in to make you want to know what happens next. If Jack writes more about this story I will definitely read it!

An Abundance of Katherines
An Abundance of Katherines

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite John Green, 21 Sep 2013
This was the third John Green book I have read after getting hooked after reading the amazing The Fault in Our Stars last summer.

In this one we meet teenage boy Colin, who astonishingly has not only had 19 girlfriends, but all of them happened to be called Katherine! Following his break up with Katherine number 19, he embarks on a road trip with his best friend Hassan. Adventure ensues and we get to follow Colin on his journey to becoming a man.

Although I enjoyed this book, I found Colin’s luck with women a bit unbelievable as he is portrayed as being a geek with few friends. I also found Colin a bit whiny and overall thought the book was a little long winded (even though the page count is fairly small).

This was nowhere near the best young adult book I have read, but I can see the appeal for some readers. For me, it just didn’t sit in quite the same league as TFiOS and Paper Towns. It hasn’t put me off reading more of John Green’s work though.

The London Train
The London Train

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: The London Train (Kindle Edition)
I read this book for the book group I go to in the museum I used to work in. The group reads books that have Welsh links or an historical theme and this one was chosen as a lot of it was based in Wales, and I believe that Tessa Hadley lived in Cardiff until recently.

The book is split into two parts. The first is the story of Paul and the second, the story of Cora, and the two stories become interwoven. I enjoyed the first part of the book, even though Paul is a total pig of a man as I was more interested in reading about his family, including his daughter from his first marriage, Pia, who is living in London. I felt that Paul’s character was that of a stereotypical chauvinistic male with no cares for his responsibilities or those around him. I would have liked to have read more about his poor wife though.

I really disliked the second part of the book. Cora was a boring and unlikeable character, but what I found worse than this was the lack of research done for this part. As this half of the book was based in my local area of Cardiff, and included a couple of other subjects that I knew well, I was looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, incorrect detail and sloppy research really spoilt this part for me.

Overall, I didn’t hate the book, but certainly wouldn’t recommend it. I won’t be rushing out to find more books from the author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4