Profile for Sheli > Reviews

Case-Mate Glam Case for Apple iPhone 6/6S in Champagne
Case-Mate Glam Case for Apple iPhone 6/6S in Champagne
Offered by CleverKit

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken within weeks, 8 Nov. 2015
The case broke along the front bottom edge within weeks, so became unusable. It's also very bulky, so made an already large phone very big.

I'll stick to cheaper, smaller cases.

The The List: A Year of Adventures in Bed
The The List: A Year of Adventures in Bed

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly laugh out loud funny, 27 July 2014
Phoebe has been single for about a year and is still struggling after her break up with cheating bastard Alex. She hasn’t been feeling single and ready to mingle in that time so has also been going without sex for that time. At New Year, Phoebe decides to make a resolution that she is determined to keep and writes a list of sexual challenges that she has always wanted to do or been curious about. She is looking forward to a year of lots of sex and new experiences, but is it going to be that straightforward after her year of chastity?

I was immediately hooked by this book and read about 20% in my first sitting. I really didn’t know what to expect from this book, but was pleasantly suprised at the hilarious read I had picked up. The book is written in a diary format, which I always like and we live a year of Phoebe’s life with her. The great thing about this book is that although it contains lots of sex, it doesn’t feel forced or seedy, but is more like having a very open conversation with your best friend. The book is truly laugh out loud funny whilst still being sexy and at times brutally honest.

I really enjoyed the book and I think it was the right level of bonk buster for me – fun without making me feel like I should be covering it in a brown paper bag and wearing a dirty mac. I will definitely be looking out for more books from the author, but don’t think I will be recommending it to my mum – who knows what questions she would ask me if she read about some of the challenges! This was a fun read and is perfect to read whilst hanging out next to the pool this summer.

The Inheritance: Racy, pacy and very funny! (Swell Valley Series, Book 1)
The Inheritance: Racy, pacy and very funny! (Swell Valley Series, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 27 July 2014
Wild child Tatiana Flint-Hamilton is cut out of her father’s will when he dies. Not only does he stop her from inheriting Furlings, the family home, but he insists on conditions for her to receive an allowance. Furlings is passed on to distant Australian relatives, the Cranleys, who up sticks and move to England. Angela Cranley sees the move as a fresh start for her and businessman husband Brett and their two children, moving away from her husband’s past. Tati wants to be back in what she considers to be her rightful home and will stop at nothing to get it back.

I was pleasantly surprised that this book had a very good storyline. I’m a sucker for a book set in a rural environment, whether it be a cosy mystery or bonkbuster novel. This one reminded me of Jo Carnegie’s books – which I love! I was sucked into the story straight away, and although I hatedthe pretentious Tati at first, I felt like I really got to know her.

The book is set over a period of around ten years so we really get to know the characters and see them grow. The book included a really good mixture of great story and hot sex scenes – although I was confused about just how closely the Flint-Hamiltons and the Cranleys were related. The book is a whopper at over 500 pages, but the story is well paced with a good smattering of well thought out supporting characters, so didn’t feel that long.

If, like me, you enjoy reading about what goes on behind the scenes in country villages that are not so sleepy as they appear, then this book is for you. I will definitely be looking for more of Tilly’s books, as I think this is probably the right level of sexy book for me! A great story, with a lot of depth and thought behind it, with just the right amount of steamy sex!

From Paris, With Love (Doubting Abbey)
From Paris, With Love (Doubting Abbey)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fab book, 27 July 2014
We catch up with Gemma and Edward about six months after Doubting Abbey ended, and they are off to Paris to live for a month. Gemma’s cooking skills are going from strength to strength and she is attending a month long cookery course in Paris, and Edward is coming with her to work as a waiter at the restaurant, and build on the popularity of his blog by writing some travel articles relating to the centenary of the beginning of the First World War. Before leaving the UK, Edward popped the question, but Gemma still hasn’t given him a response. The romantic setting of Paris only serves to put additional strain on their relationship, along with their new friends, bitchy Monique, hot and mysterious Joe and glam rockstar Blade.

It was great to catch up with Gemma and Edward, although I would have liked to have seen them back at Applebridge Hall as I loved the setting in Doubting Abbey. I soon got over that as Paris is a wonderfully romantic setting and really suited this story. Gemma is still very much herself – athough a slightly more refined version after taking up residence at Applebridge Hall, and still gets herself into a number of scrapes. This time around, she gets herself into a potentially dangerous situation early on after meeting mysterious Joe who swears her to secrecy about what he asks her to do. Gemma is a lot more trusting of other people than me, but it is touch and go whether she can pull off what Joe has asked her to do without blabbing to anyone.

This was a lighthearted read and I loved the theme in it – it was very different to most chick lit/romance novels and made the book really interesting and more adventurous. I wasn’t able to guess how the book would end and it kept me guessing right up to the final chapters about what would be the outcome of the month in Paris. I loved the detail about the cooking in Paris, some of the detail made my mouth water! We also meet some great new characters like rockstar Blade, slimy John and all of the staff at Chez Dubois.

This books would work well as a standalone book, but I would recommend reading Doubting Abbey first, partly so that you can understand the references, but also as it is just as good a read as this one. Another fab book, and I look forward to reading more from the author, and hopefully more about Gemma and Edward!

After the Honeymoon
After the Honeymoon

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 27 May 2014
When I was contacted by Janey about After the Honeymoon I jumped at the chanceto read and review it as it sounded great. I got stuck into it straight away and was immediately hooked into the worlds of the characters.

Emma is a young mum of two who gets married to her childhood sweetheart Tom. She loves Tom and their little family, but had never been too fussed about getting married. They married at Tom’s insistence and one of their wedding presents was a honeymoon at a small villa on a Greek island. Just the two of them, without the children. With her mum looking after the children, and Tom getting sick as soon as they arrive, one week becomes a testing situation for the newly weds and gives Emma some chance to be herself for the first time in a few years.

Winston is a TV star fitness trainer (I was imagining a modern Mr Motivator!) and has married mother of two Melissa. They met on set when she was his make up artist, and three months later they are on honeymoon at the same small villa in Greece, in an attempt to get some privacy away from the press on their own. That is until his step children get shipped over by their father who should be looking after them, and the past comes back to haunt him.

Rosie is part owner of the Villa Rosa and runs it with the help of her son Jack, friend Greco and island lothario Yannis. Rosie is trying her best to keep the business going and has been helped by friends back in the UK to spread the word about the villa. When Winston turns up, she has some decisions to make on whether to drag up the pastor just to let sleeping dogs lie.

As soon as I started reading this book, I just knew I was going to love it. The lives of the characters are wonderfully intertwined and everyone of them has real depth and well thought through back stories. My favourite character was Rosie. She just seemed so genuine and grounded, a real salt of the earth type person. As I got to the end of each chapter, I just wanted to read more. The book also made me look forward to my own Greek holiday this year!

The book is quite hefty at nearly 500 pages, but doesn’t drag in any way, is well paced and I could have kept reading it for even longer! It was a very welcome companion on a couple of long train journeys and I felt like I could lose myself in the story completely. Janey’s writing style is very easy to read and friendly. I was really impressed by how detailed each of the storylines were, how they intertwined in such a perfect way and how no stone was left unturned!

This book would make a fantastic holiday read and I urge everyone to go out and buy it to share my enthusiasm! You may have guessed that I really loved this book and really want to read some more of Janey’s previous books.

The Love Detective
The Love Detective

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read with an unusual location, 3 Mar. 2014
I was really attracted to this book by it’s pretty cover (I know, how shallow of me!), but was a little concerned about whether I would like it or not. I needn’t have worried myself about it though!

This story is about Ruby, a writer who lives in London, who decides to take a break and go and visit her sister in India when she suffers from writers block. Her mind is full of thoughts of her cheating ex and she thinks she has lost faith in love. Not great for a romance writer! So she decides to take in some culture, relax and clear her head.

Only things don’t go quite to plan on the relaxing front when she ends up on an adventure across India to try and find her sister. She embarks on an epic train journey, meets a handsome American, falls into a tourist trap and finds out that she can do so much more than she thought…

I really enjoyed this book and found that it was quite a quick read. The thing I liked most about the book was the unusual setting and the great cultural detail. It was a really interesting and unusual story and I really enjoyed the fact that it wasn’t a straight forward story and had some twists and turns, and an interesting small twist at the end which tied the story up well. It is really well written and I will definitely look out for more from the author. Only goes to show that sometimes judging a book by a cover can result in a really good read!

The Sentinel (The Sentinel Series Book 1)
The Sentinel (The Sentinel Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 14 Jan. 2014
I was totally hooked from the first page. Eve gets rescued from a bus crash, which by rights should have killed everyone and kick starts a series of events and revelations that will change Eve’s world and outlook on life forever. She finds that her friends have been handpicked for her, her parents aren’t who she thought they were, and even her dog had been lying to her. Luckily she as her friends had been picked to protect her, she is surrounded by people she knows and loves, including her best friend Seth, and they help her try to come to terms with the strange new things that are happening to her, and the prophecy about her future.

I literally couldn’t put this book down and read it in about 3 sittings, including one sitting of 70%!! The writing is really great and pulled me in and really made me feel like I was experiencing the emotions of the characters. It is really fast paced, and even though I’m not a massive fan of fantasy, this book really captured my imagination.

Eve is a great character and is very mature. She didn’t feel selfish or spoilt in any way, which I think could have easily happened with a character in her situation. Also, even though there are a lot of characters I didn’t feel like I was losing track of who they are like I do with some books.

Eve’s relationship with Seth seems impossibly close at the beginning – I too had a male best friend through high school so I found comparing the relationships a bit weird at first. It all makes sense later on though, and I was glad that it was clarified! The one thing I would say about the book is although it is set in England, in the main it doesn’t feel particularly English or British. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, more of an observation.

I would definitely recommend this book and already have to some of my friends! If I were to compare it with other books, the storyline itself is incomparable, but the feel of it reminded me of a Harry Potter/Hunger Games hybrid! I’m looking forward to reading the next in the series.

Last Christmas
Last Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Xmas novella from Talli!, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Last Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I always look forward to Talli Roland’s new books, but particularly her Christmas novellas. Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts was the book that inspired me to get a kindle, and was the first book I downloaded and read on it!

Christmas time is a bad time for Lucy this year as it’s the anniversary of her humiliation when her long term boyfriend dumped her in Paris after she proposed to him. After a year of moping, Lucy bumps into her ex and his new fiancée and tells them that she just happens to be hosting the party of the year on Christmas Day. Which also happens to be their wedding day.

So Lucy now needs to plan a party that will go head to head with the wedding and bring her back from her break up blues! Although, she never expected to be the one who could save her ex and his bride from a wedding disaster…

I devoured this novella in one sitting and it was a great start to my Christmas reading. I love Talli’s writing anyway, and I’m glad to say that it just gets better. I hope the Christmas novellas keep coming every year, and we get to read Talli’s next novel, The No Kids Club very soon!

Tuesdays at the Teacup Club
Tuesdays at the Teacup Club

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 23 Nov. 2013
I have had The Vintage Teacup Club sat on my TBR for a while, and when I spotted this novella I thought it would be a good way to get to know the characters (even though it is a follow on to TVTC).

The novella had sections on each one of the friends and we follow their lives individually, but get to see how they interact with one another. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the actual story and felt that there wasn’t much substance there. I know that it was a very short story, but it have read plenty of novellas that have really grabbed me, and unfortunately this wasn’t one of them.

Saying that, I thought that the characters were well developed, but unfortunately I didn’t feel like I really cared about them.

It was a pleasant enough quick read, but sadly hasn’t inspired me to read TVTC. I just think that this series isn’t for me.

A Cottage by the Sea
A Cottage by the Sea

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab book, 23 Nov. 2013
I’m just going to come out and say it. I loved this book! This book is the first Carole Matthews book I have read and I will definitely be reading more. My TBR pile is about to grow again!!

The book is about three friends and their partners who spend a week together at Ella’s cottage in Pembrokeshire that she inherited from her parents. They’ve been friends since uni, but don’t see each other too often any more because of their busy lives so the holiday was a chance got then to catch up and have some fun together. As the week goes on we see that there are cracks in each one of their relationships, but each girl is trying to smooth things over as best they can and hope that the sea air will heal all!

The fact that this book is set in Pembrokeshire is a massive draw for me. It’s where I had my holidays as a child, and where my partner and I have stayed and gone exploring countless times over the years. The book describes the area beautifully, and even mentions our favourite beach, Barafundle! I have put a picture of it at the bottom of the review to share how gorgeous it is!

Other than Pembrokeshire, I also loved the characters and the way this book was constructed. Because it was only set over the period of a week, it could gave dragged, but was really well paced, and meant we got to know the characters a little better. I particularly loved Grace who had gone through her life on a set path, always doing the right thing, and the lovely Noah seemed like such a genuinely nice guy. I love it when the writer makes you feel like you really know a character. Grace’s husband Harry was a right bastard, but I liked that the writer implied it, but let me make up my own mind.

This book was so well written, and I really couldn’t out it down! I just kept thinking “I’ll just read one more chapter…”

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4