Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

HOUSE OF SILENCE
HOUSE OF SILENCE
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: HOUSE OF SILENCE (Kindle Edition)
I was trawling for something to read on my new Kindle when I came across this book. I'm a bit wary of some gushing reviews, but for the small financial outlay I thought this one was worth taking the risk. I was not disappointed. Well, not quite true, the only disappointment was the length of the book, I usually read big fat books, the fatter the better, and I didn't want this one to end. Loved the story, the characters, and the insight into quilting - it almost made me want to start a quilt of my own, but I'll stick to spinning and knitting for now - I'm safer with blunt needles!

Just about to some more of this excellent writing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2011 11:40 PM BST

The Secrets of Pain (Merrily Watkins 11)
The Secrets of Pain (Merrily Watkins 11)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars He's done it again!, 10 Sep 2011
Phil Rickman just gets better and better.

I read the other Merrily books earlier this year and have been eagerly awaiting publication of this one. It was like meeting up with old friends, reading about Jane, Gomer, Lol, Sophie and Merrily again.

I like the way these books are themed and use obscure snippets from history - it makes the stories come alive and almost believable. I also like the way locations are used, I feel like jumping into the car and heading off for Hereford!

Excellent work Mr R. can't wait for the next one now!

Natural Dyes
Natural Dyes
by Judy Hardman
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a dye book for the UK, 26 Oct 2009
This review is from: Natural Dyes (Paperback)
I've been looking for a book on natural dyes for ages, but could only find USA-centric books. Both the authors of this book live in the south of England and the book covers plants that I recognise. Yippee.

SELBUVOTTER: Biography of a Knitting Tradition
SELBUVOTTER: Biography of a Knitting Tradition
by Terri Shea

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" for mitten and glove knitters, 20 Dec 2007
A self-published book, this is the result of extensive research by the author.

Chapter one gives a history of knitting from the Selbu area in Norway.

Chapter two illustrates techniques for knitting mittens and gloves in the Selbu tradition.

Chapter three gives more than 30 patterns reconstructed from antique gloves and mittens.

Patterns are written out with useful hints and tips included. I particularly like the way she names the fingers in the glove patterns: pinky, ring, middle, and pointer.

An excellent book, well produced, and nicely laid out. One teensy criticism, some colour in the photos would have been nice, but the charts are excellent in b/w.

Go buy a copy, then maybe the author will write another book.

Page: 1 | 2