Profile for Mrs. S. Senior > Reviews

Content by Mrs. S. Senior

Mrs. S. Senior (derbyshire, uk)

An Outdoor Book for Girls
An Outdoor Book for Girls
by Lina Belle Beard

4.0 out of 5 stars A real classic!, 26 Aug 2008
This book was a real hoot. Bought for my 11 year old daughter, she found the language difficult to get on with, but my husband and I really enjoyed marvelling at how things have changed. Worth pointing out that it's original 1915 publication makes some of the ideas in it irrelevant or even potentially dangerous (The method of resuscitation for example is more than a little dated). This would make an ideal gift for an older guide or even a guide leader, but to be read these days with tongue firmly in cheek!

The Bone People
The Bone People
by Keri Hulme

5.0 out of 5 stars truly stunning, 24 July 2006
This review is from: The Bone People (Paperback)
I first read this book at sixth form, and whilst the enforced reading I endured there seemed to breed a natural ill will against the titles we were given, the Bone People rose above this to become one of my favourite books of all time. testament to this is the fact that, having just re-read it for a tenth time, it is the first book I've felt compelled to review.

The characters capture you, the language seduces you - the whole thing just blows your mind. A worthy booker winner. Read it.