Profile for David McManus > Reviews

Content by David McManus

David McManus

Page: 1 | 2
Jumbo tea cups made of borosilicate glass, 2 items (ą 0,33 l)
Jumbo tea cups made of borosilicate glass, 2 items (ą 0,33 l)
Offered by S-PRESSIMO_1

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful things but saucer is different from picture, 17 Dec 2013
These are as elegant as you would imagine a glass teacup to be. Just to be super critical I would point out that the saucers are slightly different to the one portrayed in the picture. They have a more defined lip around the top making rather less than being perfectly concave. Still nice, though!

JETech® Diamond iPhone 5/5S Case Leather Folio Cover with Built-in Stand and Front/Back Protection for Apple iPhone 5 5S (Green)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite nice but not much use as a stand, 14 Aug 2013
Fortunately I didn't buy this case to use as a stand - despite the fact that half the promo shots show it being used like that.
As with most hard cases, the phone sits into corner clips. This works nicely if you just want it for cover use but if you want to stand it up like it is in the photos you would have to unclip it down the left edge of the phone and bend the back of the case back.
This would be a manual process each time - there is no unhooking mechanism or anything like that.
I would say using it as a stand is highly impractical and would ultimately risk snapping the plastic left side corners from overuse.
The build quality is decent and the magnetic clip is adequate but could be stronger.
It's a perfectly reasonable price for what you get and I like the look of it.

Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers with BasXPort Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound but an annoying feature, 8 Aug 2013
These speakers produce a terrific sound - really impressing for their size. However, they have one very annoying feature that you should be aware of in that they go into standby mode if they don't detect any sound from the connected device for 10 minutes.
This means that if you have them hooked up to your computer, you will never hear any sound alerts from that computer because they have been and gone in the time it takes for them to come out of standby mode - about three seconds.
This, of course, also means that miss the first three seconds from a Youtube clip etc. Despite searching the web and trying all sorts of combinations (speaker volume always at max, computer volume always at max etc.) I cannot stop them from going into standby.
Many replies on forums discussing this issue claim that they must be defective but this is a definite and intentional feature which you can read on the Creative Worldwide Support website:
"In keeping with EuP regulations, your Creative speaker will go into Standby mode if it doesn’t detect audio input after a specific amount of time."

Magnetic Protective Flip Smart Cover Skin Case Stand for iPad 2 3 4 - Green
Magnetic Protective Flip Smart Cover Skin Case Stand for iPad 2 3 4 - Green
Offered by Time2 Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but perfectly OK - if you only want it as a screen protector., 6 Aug 2013
I've literally just taken possession of this so I can't testify to its long term durability but my initial impression is that it's OK.
It would definitely fall firmly into the category of 'cheap knock-off' but then at almost one tenth of the price of an official Apple Polyurethane cover, what do you expect?
The magnet is strong but the cover itself seems a little thin and the pleats aren't particularly defined - you have to give it quite a serious fold to make it bend. I don't think I'd want to use curled up in the stand position.
To be fair, I'm comparing this to my experience with the official leather cover - a bit of a pricey luxury at £60. This is for my daughter's new iPad and it will do a perfectly good job of protecting the screen.
At this price I thought it was worth a punt - and I was right.

Sriracha, Hot Chili Sauce, 17 oz (482 g)
Sriracha, Hot Chili Sauce, 17 oz (482 g)
Offered by STRATTON UK

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the sauce, 2 stars for the price, 21 Jun 2013
I wish I'd checked the international aisle of my local Tesco before spending over £6 on this. I went in there today and they have it for £2.50 a bottle. Worth checking.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2013 2:30 PM BST

Justeel Men 4.0mm Wide Stainless Steel Genuine Leather Cord Necklace Chain 29 Inch (with Gift Bag) (Width: 0.16" Length: 29.00")
Offered by Justeel Jewellery

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality, 1 Jun 2013
It's well made with what appears at initial glance to be a sturdy clasp.
Takes a while to deliver (11 days) because it comes from the Far East.
The description says it comes in a presentation box. Mine didn't - it was just in a plastic bag. As I bought it for myself this isn't an issue. They sent me an extra little metal link chain which could possibly be in lieu of the box so maybe they were just temporarily out of supplies.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect, 27 Feb 2013
I'm really fussy about phone cases but this arrived this morning and nothing short of perfect.

A tight, protective fit and it looks great. It's going to protect the back from scratches and should offer a decent chance of survival if dropped as it tightly lips the edge of the phone. It was initially a bit tricky to apply but the pack includes a card with a link to the Gelaskin website where there is a video of how to do it. Once you know the knack, it pops on easily but very securely.

It has the added benefit of adding grip to the iPhone which, without this case, I found almost too thin and light that I was convinced it would slip from my grasp as I took it out of a pocket.

Very highly recommended (and from someone as picky as me, that is high praise indeed).

Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver - Universal Remote Control
Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver - Universal Remote Control

1.0 out of 5 stars It just doesn't work, 31 Jan 2013
I so wanted this to work and be the coolest gadget I've ever had but the sad truth is that days and days after reprogramming it dozens of times it is still incredibly flaky and touch-and-go.
Don't misunderstand and think I might not know what I'm doing. I do and that's not the point I'm making. I'd program it, it would work reasonably well but then within minutes it would start getting things wrong (turning off the TV when trying to change channels etc.).
Hard to say if it's too sensitive or not sensitive enough but it just doesn't work very well. You still need your dedicated remote to hand which, of course, makes this pointless.
It looks nice, feels nice, sounds nice but it's very poor as a remote control.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2013 2:49 PM GMT

CushCase Denim Sleeve / Case for Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch with Retina Display (Colour: Dark Blue)
Offered by CushCase

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made and no issue at all with 'shedding fibres', 17 Oct 2012
I just saw the only other review of this jacket give it one star and felt I had to counter that! I've been using it every day for two months and have yet to see a single fibre being shed. Unless they changed the design materials since I bought mine in August 2012 I don't understand this complaint. I bought it because after sliding my retina Mac Book in and out of my bag for a few days I was noticed metallic scuff marks on the body of the Mac, apparently being made as it scraped the brass poppers on my bag! After a few minutes of utter panic I managed to clean them off and vowed to get better protection. This is just what I was looking for. It looks nice, the velcro makes it easy to get the Mac Book in and out of it and it still fits nicely in my bag offering protection against scuffing and an extra amount of padding.
Would definitely recommend.

Silvine Record Cards 127x77mm Plain Pack of 100 - Color: White
Silvine Record Cards 127x77mm Plain Pack of 100 - Color: White
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality fine, delivery time poor, 17 Oct 2012
OK, so these are just cards and they're cheap and they're not something anyone would probably require with any real urgency but eight full days from order to delivery is a bit poor.
The cards themselves are decent enough and don't bleed through with a gel-based pen. They're thick paper/thin card so might bleed with a thick felt marker.
Would recommend if you just want some basic indexing cards (we're using these for my daughter's revision notes) but only if you're in no real hurry for them to arrive. Personally I'd rather have paid an extra 75p/£1 to have them in a couple of days.

Page: 1 | 2