Profile for Nadia > Reviews

Content by Nadia

Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Atlantis [DVD]
Atlantis [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Donnelly
Offered by MediaMerchants
Price: 7.50

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting new series, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Atlantis [DVD] (DVD)
I've always loved Greek Mythology so this series appealed even before I watched it. I wish people would stop comparing it to Merlin. Yes, it has the same writers and I guess the humour is similar and yes it occupies the same slot on a Saturday, but really, if a drama about an axe murderer occupied the same Saturday slot, would that be compared to Merlin too? Atlantis has a slightly darker feel to it, and I really think the writers have skillfully taken several elements of Greek Myths to combine into an original story with all the classic feeling of a Greek myth: quests, heroes, tragedy, love etc. If I wasn't such a Greek Mythology nerd, I wouldn't have known which stories they'd pinched from, and if it gets kids reading the Greek myths, then hats off to it. I suppose if the Merlin comparisons have one thing right, it's that the cast doesn't quite jump out at the viewer the way the Merlin actors did. They really were an amazing set of actors, but the Atlantis cast are just finding their feet. Mark Addy stood out in particular and I really like the writers' take on the Herculese character. Jason is the true hero, of course and I for one enjoyed every second of his screen time. As with any series, be it book or TV show, the first series is always the foundation. Writers use it to experiment with and establish their formula and look back over it at the end to fine tune any mistakes. Atlantis is still finding its feet and some epesodes were better than others but it has plenty of strengths and some twists I never saw coming. In summary, it takes a bit of getting into but I believe it is a promising start and we can expect good things from the second series. I've never yet seen any TV series I loved from the first epesode, not even Merlin.

Robin of Sherwood - The Complete Series (Reconfiguration) [DVD]
Robin of Sherwood - The Complete Series (Reconfiguration) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Praed
Price: 23.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much effort for the price., 1 Nov 2013
I loved the recent BBC series, but as everyone seems to rave about this series, I thought I'd give it a try. I should probably point out that I'm blind, and all I can say is, I hope it looked better than it sounded. For me, the hallmark of a good series is that you get so caught up in that world, you stop thinking of the actors as actors and start thinking of them as their characters. I sobbed my heart out at the end of the BBC series, even though logic told me it was only an actor pretending and he hadn't really died. It just didn't feel that way. Whereas Robin of Sherwood just felt like a bunch of guys sitting around reading their lines with a bit of sound effects (not very realistic sound effects) thrown in. As for the apparently fantastic music score, I just found it irritating and not at all atmospheric. I struggled through two hour long episodes before conceding defeat. Definitely not worth the bargain price.

Merlin - The Complete Collection - Series One to Five [DVD]
Merlin - The Complete Collection - Series One to Five [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Morgan
Price: 39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Merlin, 1 Oct 2013
I followed this superb series religiously year by year and at no time did it disappoint. I've watched the DVD's over and over again. A truly epic series, based on the Arthurian legends and with a truly amazing cast of actors. Colin Morgan is particularly outstanding in the starring role. This is a pleasure from beginning to end, blending as it does, humour, romance, action and magic. Unlike many programmes that go on for multiple series, this continued to raise its standards. A must-have for anyone who enjoyed the TV series (and all those who love imagination).

Robin Hood - The Legends Returns - The Complete Series 1 - 3 [ 2006 - 2009 ] 12 DVD Box + extra's
Dvd ~ Jonas Armstrong
Offered by Nr1mediaFBA
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Robin Hood as you've never seen him before., 1 Oct 2013
I never saw this series when it originally aired on the BBC, but I took a chance on the box set as it was such a bargain price and I'm so glad I did. I've loved the story of Robin Hood since I was a child and though this differs wildly from the original tale, it's an excellent story in its own right. The writers captured the essence and atmosphere of the era perfectly and the character portrayals too were true to the story. Some credit must of course go to the actors and they were certainly an amazing cast. Particularly outstanding were Jonas Armstrong in the starring role. For me, he is the esential Robin. His interpretation of the character jelled perfectly with the character of my imagination and I don't think I could ever watch another in the part. Richard Armitage is excellent as Guy of Gisborn, the one character the series does take liberties with, making him an interesting if not a likeable character. Kieth Alan is a little too good as the evil sherif of Nottingham and Lucy Griffiths was great as Marian. Insidentally, Richard Armitage does an excellent job narrating the audio books that accompany the series. It's a shame more of those weren't recorded. The series is a perfect blend of drama, romance, humour and action. Be prepared to laugh, cry, and enjoy this modern re-telling of a timeless legend.

Death (The Mercian Trilogy)
Death (The Mercian Trilogy)
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant conclusion to a brilliant Trilogy, 7 Mar 2013
This has been a fantastic Trilogy and the final book more than lived up to my expectations. The Mercian Trilogy and its Author haven't had much in the way of press as far as I know. I stumbled on them by chance. All I can say is certain well known Authors in the vampire genre could learn a lot from him. `Death' is a powerful, thought-provoking read with some fantastic twists. At the end, I was left with the satisfaction of having read a great series, but an aching sense of sadness too.

The Gathering Dark: The Grisha 1
The Gathering Dark: The Grisha 1
by Leigh Bardugo
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth persevering, 15 Jan 2013
I admit it took me a while to get into this as the Author threw a lot of information at me and I felt like I was playing catch up. However, the characters are excellent and the world original and imaginative with some truly beautiful descriptions. This book also has one of the most interesting villains I've come across in a while. Recommended for anyone looking for a fantasy that doesn't involve high schools and paranormal romances.

Mountain of Bones (Gravediggers)
Mountain of Bones (Gravediggers)
by Christopher Krovatin
Price: 9.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 15 Jan 2013
Well written, in three first person perspectives, this is a lively, action-packed read with three great protagonists. The author captures each person's voice perfectly. A must-read for fans of Skulduggery Pleasant.

Alchemy (The Mercian Trilogy)
Alchemy (The Mercian Trilogy)
Price: 5.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sequel, 15 Jan 2013
The second book in the Mercian Trilogy, this book continues to follow Will and Elouise as they attempt to discover Will's destiny. But as they grow closer, it soon becomes obvious that someone knows more about Will than he does and will stop him at all costs. Every bit as intriguing and beautifully written as the first one. Full of mystery, supernatural visitations and gothic surroundings, this is a vampire trilogy unlike any other and I can't wait for the concluding volume.

Blood (The Mercian Trilogy)
Blood (The Mercian Trilogy)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Jan 2013
Vampire fiction is a genre that has gained in popularity in the last few years. With so many offerings, I've unfortunately come across more than my fare share of disappointments, but I've also discovered a few really amazing stories and this is one of them. Blood is the first of a trilogy, told from the point of view of it's vampire protagonist, Will, the sun of a Brittish Earl and with a destiny he's never understood. One thing I loved about this book is that the Author doesn't romantasize. As nice as Will is and as much as he hates it, he's a vampire who must kill to survive. With the help of various clues and a modern day human girl, Will begins a quest to discover why he was attacked all those centuries ago. Beautifully written and told mainly in the third person but with some fascinating glimpses into Will's past narrated by Will himself, this story draws you in from the start. For fans of gothic mystery, this really is a dream. The Author has captured the speech and writing style of a sixteenth century boy perfectly, yet still managed to keep the story engaging and readable. Highly recommended.

Evernight (Evernight Novels) (Evernight Novels (Quality))
Evernight (Evernight Novels) (Evernight Novels (Quality))
by Claudia Gray
Price: 5.33

3.0 out of 5 stars How Disappointing!, 15 Dec 2012
There will be several spoilers in this review. Not something I usually do, but it's necessary here to make my point, so stop now if you haven't read the book and intend to. Right. I had such high hopes for Evernight. The book was discriptively written and enjoyable; the girl was every bit as intelegent and likable as the hero; there were no stupid love triangles where we're expected to believe the girl is in love with two guys at once whom she can't choose between (done to death) and finally, the girl doesn't go on about the guy's looks every five minutes. All excellent traits in a genre littered with all the faults mentioned above. But then it all goes wrong. If it's one thing I hate, it's when a book isn't realistic. So if you have two groups: vampires and vampire hunters, and the vampires have the hunters cornered, are they really likely to walk away just because the heroine says they should? Well, they did. And if you found out your boyfriend was a vampire hunter, that he'd used you and lied to you, and had a good go at killing your dad, wouldn't you be a bit annoyed? She forgave him everything! Surely there would be a lot more divided loyalties and agonising about what she should do and whose side she should be on, but apparently deciding between your parents and your boyfriend doesn't take long. And if you learned your girlfriend was a vampire, the very creature you'd spent your life hunting, wouldn't it take you some time to get your head around it? How could such a promising book have gone so badly wrong?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6