Profile for JBird > Reviews

JBird

Raven's Prey
Raven's Prey

2.0 out of 5 stars A Period Piece, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Raven's Prey (Kindle Edition)
Bought this after reading the five-star review above. I absolutely agree that Krentz has been writing on autopilot for the last ten years (the last keeper was 'Deep Waters'), but her early novels don't have the sense of fun, convincing characters and colourful worlds she created later. I found this story two-dimensional, and uncomfortably old-fashioned, with a violent, threatening 'hero'.

I think her earliest keeper is 'The Golden Chance', with the Jayne Castle title 'Shield's Lady' also an early success. Of course, Amazon don't tell you first publication dates, but I'm sure Wikipedia or the author's site will have chronological lists.

I do wish, as the other reviewer said, she'd take a break and get her magic back - probably by moving on to tell rather different stories. I'm grateful for the couple of dozen great stories of hers I have. But don't start here if you're new to her work.

The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright: (Originally published in the e-book anthology THREE WEDDINGS AND A MURDER)

2.0 out of 5 stars Goes through the motions, 17 Mar. 2013
I wasn't convinced, so found this rather tedious. Episodic structure and shallow characters. She's got the elements of a romcom, but there's no real feeling.

Pocket Rough Guide Venice (Pocket Rough Guides)
Pocket Rough Guide Venice (Pocket Rough Guides)
by Jonathan Buckley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little guide, 8 Mar. 2013
I read a couple of longer guidebooks (I'm an obsessive researcher) and added any extra info to my 'Pocket Guide', but there was little that needed adding. Found this the ideal companion - portable, with all the essential info, including some good restaurant suggestions. Will definitely go for this series in the future.

My Brother Michael (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)
My Brother Michael (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best book?, 1 Mar. 2013
'My Brother Michael' is Mary Stewart at her very best. Great characters, vivid descriptions, humour, suspense. I feel I've been to Delphi. And Simon is a wonderful hero.

Heavy Duty 5 Tier Mini Greenhouse / Growhouse With Heavy Cover & Fleece Cover
Heavy Duty 5 Tier Mini Greenhouse / Growhouse With Heavy Cover & Fleece Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs major additional bodging, 16 May 2011
Bought this to replace a wider and slightly shorter one I've had for 10 years (bought from Focus). So I knew it wasn't going to be hugely sturdy: but this is horribly flimsy. My old rusting one is stronger! I nearly sent it back, but didn't have time; so instead have used a couple of strong bamboo canes crossed at the back and tied to the shelves to stop it racking. (However much I levelled the base, the slightest wind would send it diagonal.) I'm only planning to leave it out for a couple of months each year, to raise plants in the spring. But I'm not impressed. The cover's sturdy; but I think the design is too tall and the rods too weak and the plastic connectors/feet too flimsy. And, of course, tying the canes to the shelf supports compromises your ability to move the shelves as plants grow. Next time I'll shop in person, and test how easily the unit racks from side to side. I think £[] is a lot for such poor quality.

The Season
The Season
by Sarah MacLean
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 11 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Season (Mass Market Paperback)
This is dull, unconvincing and anachronistic. It's written for teenagers and I found it a big let-down after reading 'Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake'. The characters aren't bad, but apart from that you'd think the books were written by two different authors. Don't bother with this one. I'm hoping her next will build on the promise of 'Nine Rules'.