Profile for Sandra Heptinstall > Reviews

Content by Sandra Heptinstall

Sandra Heptinstall "Reviewer" (Louisiana, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Conquered Shore (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 5)
The Conquered Shore (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 29 Jan. 2014
I really loved this book and its characters. I must admit after reading the first four books in the Lodestone series, I wondered if the author could make the fifth book better than the others. I was really surprised to read it and find the fifth book was just as interesting if not better than the first four books.

Something strange happened to me while reading this book that has never happened to me before. I connected with a character and I knew what she would say and her actions in the book. I have never had that happen before, and I have read hundreds of books in my life.

I am always mesmerized when I read one of the author’s books. While he gives us a glimpse of characters, it is up to our own imagination to try and create what each one looks like. I have always enjoyed that in each of the author’s stories.

This book left me wanting to read more. I felt the same way with the first four books. I sincerely hope the author takes us on another journey soon. Excellent book and series.

Rated G

Faded Lives
Faded Lives
by Edward T. Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 31 May 2011
This review is from: Faded Lives (Paperback)
What I first loved about this book was the cover. Then when I read the book and discovered the importance of the picture, no other picture could have given the story justice.

Mark Stephens has felt guilty every since he was not able to make it in time to see his grandpa before he died. So when time passed he jumped at the chance to help his grandma when she called. It was one week he would never forget. While he feasted on all the good country food his grandmother made; he also learned about his grandma and the history of her family.

Every day as he helped his grandma get things in order, she would share with him what had gone on in her family growing up. It is those stories that make this book good. It is more than just an interesting read, as you will find you can't wait until grandma Emily talks again.

It is the ending that I found so beautiful and peaceful. I can't tell you why, but that is my perception. I found it hard to believe this is a first time author

Night Corridor
Night Corridor
by Joan Hall Hovey

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Corridor, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Night Corridor (Paperback)
Caroline Hill has spent the last nine years of her life in a mental hospital. When she was a teenager she had a baby, and her daughter was literally taken from her arms and put up for adoption. Caroline was begging for her baby and slowly sank into a world that would take her nine years to climb out of.

As she enters into a new society she begins to wonder if she can make it. But the words of her doctors at the hospital keep coming back to her. To takes things one step at a time. She has a job and her very own room in a boarding house.

What she is about to encounter is something no one could of dreamed of. This book is intricately plotted and will surprise even the most devoted mystery or suspence reader. I challenge any reader to stop on page 190 of this 255 page book, to tell me who is the real serial murderer. The answer will surely blow you away. It did me.

The Secret of Lies
The Secret of Lies
by Barbara Forte Abate

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret of Lies by Barbara Forte Abate, 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Secret of Lies (Paperback)
I have never read a book as intense as this book is. It is brilliantly written, and at times my husband swears I was saying, "No, you jerk, or don't you dare." That is how powerful this story line is. Eleanor twelve and her sister Stevie ten, leave their hometown of Callicoon, Pennsylvania to spend their vacation with their Aunt Smyrna and Uncle Cal at their summer home on Long Island, where the days are filled with swimming in the Atlantic Ocean and the sisters unending pursuit of an intriguing and mysterious boy.

That is until the summer of 1957...Eleanor is now seventeen and Stevie fifteen. What happened that summer is something that has to be kept a secret, or so Aunt Smyrna tells Stevie. Stevie is trapped in a vortex and it is not only destroying her teenage years but carries over into her adult life.

How many lives are altered by one moment in time, one decision made in that moment? How many moments does it take too completely and irreversibly alter one's life?

To tell you more will ruin what makes this book so great. It is a must buy for your own personal library. In our economy today buying a book can be a luxury. I would buy this book.

Southern Roots
Southern Roots
by Jimmy F. Blackmon

5.0 out of 5 stars "Southern Roots," by Jimmy Blackmon, 13 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Southern Roots (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book. The writing is so descriptive that you feel as if you have stepped into a Norman Rockwell picture. The author gives us a glimpse into his family and his ancestors that came before him. Each generation passed along stories from long ago and then added more of their own.

Jimmy's Pa was the story teller for his family. Jimmy could sit for hours and listen to his family's history. Many nights would find him down in the basement where his Pa slept, sitting by the fire, and listening to all the old story's his Pa had to tell.

Growing up in the South was heaven for Jimmy. His mom and dad were not rich people but always managed to provide for their needs. As a child he learned to hunt, fish, gig for frogs and how to have fun in ways that city kids would never know.

When he was given two hound dogs he couldn't image that life could get any better. To this reviewer Jimmy Blackmon is the epitome of a true Southern boy. I have never read a book where the author has loved where he grew up and the people in his life more than Jimmy Blackmon. It is with the author's words that I end this.

"Roots are the place where something begins, where it springs into being. Roots anchor things. They provide strength and nourishment. My roots are my ancestors. Each generation influenced the next. I am a reflection of those who came before me. My roots anchor me. Mine are Southern."

Little Skiff's Moving Adventures
Little Skiff's Moving Adventures
by Dany Pierard-Deviche

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Skiff's Moving Adventures, 6 Mar. 2010
This is a cute little book about a puppy who is a Shetland sheepdog. Shelties were trained generations ago to help humans round up their flocks of sheep. Skiff's grandparents used to work as herding dogs in the Shetland Islands, a cool, rainy and windy archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean. When they retired, they moved to Alaska, and the Shelties of Skiff's canine family have enjoyed cold snowy winters ever since.

Skiffs owners nicknamed him Little Sheltie or Skiff. Skiff loves everything about living in Alaska. He loves the cold weather, snow and being with his friends. Then one day he is told they are moving to Arizona. Skiff is very sad as he does not want to leave his friends and begins to cry. His owners talk to him about the move and that helped him a lot. Skiff will soon learn to love his new home.

This book was a delight and I loved it that the story was told by Skiff. I also loved the illustrations. When you read this book you will see different facial expressions on Skiff's face. So look closely and you will see for yourself.

This is a great book for families who are planning to move. It will help younger children to accept and even look forward to the move when they read this book. The illustrations and story line are great and will hold the attention of smaller children. I think they will find they like Skiff as much as I do

Clara Meets Mr. Twiddles: The Magical Adventures of Clara the Cleaning Lady
Clara Meets Mr. Twiddles: The Magical Adventures of Clara the Cleaning Lady
by Lynnette A. Murray-Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun book for younger children, 8 Jan. 2010
Mr. Twiddles was an ornery and sometimes grumpy cat. He enjoyed sitting in his favorite chair, a dark blue overstuffed rocking chair. He would just jump up and could watch everything going on outside. He especially liked the feel of the sun coming through the windows as he took his naps.

His world was perfect until he met Clara the cleaning woman. What happens when he meets Clara is something else. Mr Twiddles world will be turned upside down.

This book is really cute and the illustrations and storyline will hold the attention of a younger children. I would recommend this book for kids from three to seven years old.

GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL
GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL
by GAYLE MARTIN

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all ages, 7 Jan. 2010
This is the second installment of Gayle Martin's "Luke and Jenny Adventure." I was surprised that this book was just as good as the first book, "Gunfight at the OK Corral."

Once again Luke and Jenny are transported back to the Wild West by a ghost named Paul. Paul said "every story has a beginning, and the Lincoln County story begins here. This is Fort Stanton. It is where the army sent me. I'm a Buffalo Soldier and part of the 9th Cavalry."

The story is about Billy the Kid and his impact on our history. Little was known about him until he was fourteen when his mom died. He was born Henry Antrim but changed his first name to his step fathers name of William. No one knows why he changed his last name to Bonney. Billy's wish was to perform on the stage. But as history teaches us, that did not come to be.

Once again Ms. Martin teaches us all a lot of life lessons. Some that I am sorry to say are fading away. Loyalty and people thinking about others before they think about themselves is one example.

I really hope that Ms. Martin continues on with the Luke and Jenny series. They are entertaining and full of little known facts about the Wild West and its colorful characters. I honestly can't say this book is good for any certain age as I found this book to be a good read for all.

BILLY THE KID AND THE LINCOLN COUNTY WA
BILLY THE KID AND THE LINCOLN COUNTY WA
by GAYLE MARTIN

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read for all ages, 7 Jan. 2010

Sandra Heptinstall

The Monkey King: A Superhero Tale of China, Retold from the Journey to the West (Ancient Fantasy)
by Aaron Shepard

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read For All, 10 Jun. 2008
This is a story about a monkey born from a magic boulder, that was bathed in the energies of Earth and Heaven, quickened by the light of Sun and Moon.

He became known as the Monkey King when he wandered into the midst of other monkey's and found them a safe home in a cave behind a waterfall. The other monkeys made him their King, which is the highest honor they could bestow on him.

It was on the Monkey Kings four hundred birthday that he sat complaining that he had reached the heights of greatness. "What is left to hope and strive for he asked?" The Monkey King was told above them were Gods, who dwell in Heaven and Earth. Then there are the Immortals, who have gained great power and live forever. And finally there are Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, who have conquered illusion and escaped rebirth.

That information was enough for the Monkey King to set off on his own course to become not just a God, or Immortals, but to also become a Buddhas. He wanted it all.

The Monkey King studied hard for years, but always managed to find himself in trouble. In the end he finds himself trapped and pinned between stones. His head and arms were out, but the rest of his body was hopelessly trapped.

What trouble could he get into you may ask? Was he pinned forever? I can only say you must read this book for yourself to find the answers.

Monkey is the most popular figure in all Chinese literature, loved for centuries by young people and adults alike. He is a superhero figure who is cherished even today.

Excellent read for all.