Profile for JOHN BROWES > Reviews

Content by JOHN BROWES

JOHN BROWES (Buckingham, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom)

Yap Roventa Cage and Carrier Mat, Choc Faux Lambswool, 28 x 42 inch
Yap Roventa Cage and Carrier Mat, Choc Faux Lambswool, 28 x 42 inch

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice..., 15 April 2014
Pretty decent quality for the money, my pooch seems to like it!! Nice size as well and seems to be wearing well.

Eyekepper Stainless Steel Frame Spring Hinged Temple Aviator Half-rim Yellow PC lens Night Driving Glasses Gunmetal
Offered by Eyekepper

4.0 out of 5 stars They work....., 15 April 2014
For the money you cannot go wrong. I struggle with night driving if there are no street lights and a steady stream of oncoming traffic with the headlight 'glare'. These hardly make any difference to how much light you see but really do reduce the glare, everything being a warm shade of yellow. For the money you can't go wrong.

Roberts SportsDAB4 DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with OLED Display
Roberts SportsDAB4 DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with OLED Display

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty ....., 15 April 2014
Some may say my review is not fair or balanced as I did not even listen to the radio. I took it out the box and immediately knew it was not for me. It feels so cheap and nasty I would not pay no more than £10 for it, no matter how good it sounds.

Sumex 2808032 Boot Bag Boot Tidy II with Velcro 50 x 25 cm with 3 Mesh Side Pockets
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality bit of kit., 15 April 2014
Does what it says on the tin......

Nice size, very very good quality and strong velcro so this bag just sticks!!

If this is the size yo need then buy it. You find better for the money.

Sharples & Grant Ltd Soft-n-Snug To Fit Bed, 95cm
Sharples & Grant Ltd Soft-n-Snug To Fit Bed, 95cm
Offered by PetsunitedUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfy but flawed....., 9 Dec. 2013
At first glance these beds look fantastic, especially when doubled up with the paired hard bed, which I also bought. The bed is lovely and fleecy and i dare say very comfy and warm. However, I bought this bed specifically because it is designed to hook over the edges of your hard bed and thus stay in place. IT DOES NOT STAY IN PLACE. I agree with some previous reviews that highlight concerns with the quality of the elastic that is supposed to hold the bed in place - it does not. My dogs only have to move very slightly and it starts to come off and I am forever putting it back into place. Not impressed, especially as it cost £40 or so.I am going to have to sew on some straps to try to combat this problem, which I am obviously not very impressed at having to do. It's a shame because it would be very easy to put this flaw right - a few plastic hooks on the bed and a few stitched holes on the edges of the inner. Hence only 2 stars I'm afraid.........

SoundScience QSB - 30W USB Desktop Speakers with NXT DyadUSB Technology Rated 5/5 by What HiFi
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Jan. 2013
Please don't listen too much to the not-so-good reviews of these speakers. Most of the non-positive reviews have had their own issues. You have to remember that with ANY speaker the sound can only be as good as the source.

I've tried a few cheaper sets of speakers and all things considered they do a decent enough job. However, I seem to be spending more time at my Macbook lately so decided to spend a few more of my hard earned pennies on a quality set of portable speakers, primarily for use with my laptop ( a 13'' Macbook). I've fancied these for a while as i have read some very positive reviews on them. But I was not going to pay £100 or so. Then I saw them for £49 and took the plunge. Boy, oh boy am I HAPPY with my purchase!! I love the portability factor (ie no mains adapter). Too get the sound coming out of these babies from just a usb connection is remarkable for what they are - and that's the bit I wish people would remember, FOR WHAT THEY ARE. They are a usb driven pair of portable speakers. They are not Keff, Focal or any other high end stand alone speakers.

They are nice and bassy, have good separation and trebles. If you have decent high quality audio files then I am sure you will love these. I do and I am as fussy as it gets My advice is BUY THEM!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2014 1:57 PM GMT

Sennheiser MM 80 I Noise Reduction Ear Canal Headphones
Sennheiser MM 80 I Noise Reduction Ear Canal Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 13 Nov. 2012
Let me start by introducing myself as an extremely fussy consumer. I would honestly say that of every 10 items I order online, 9 will be returned. I am in particular even more critical when buying earphones and headphones. I have tried dozens. I have never been to drawn towards 'in ear' 'phones as I really do not like pushing things into my rather sensitive ear canals! There, however, I find to be very comfortable as I can get a good fit and seal with the minimum of the ear bud pushed into my ear. I like the cable behind the ear, however I do not like the supplied ear hooks. Not for me. I wear these primarily when I am out walking my dogs, up to a couple of hours at a time. I barely notice them in my ears, I do like the feel of these.
Now to sound. At this price these Sennheiser's are an absolute steal. Bargain price for the sound you get. Really good sound stage and good separation. Very defined mids and highs with just the right amount of bass for my taste. Seriously, if you paid £150 for these you would not be disappointed. I cannot imagine there are too many comparable earphones for this price. Besides, at any price these sound FANTASTIC.
The inline remote is superb for my iPhone. You can control 'Siri' with this as well as full iPod control and mic. My only small criticism of these phones is that the detachable cable into the inline remote is pointless as it is too short - there should have been a cable without an inline remote included otherwise no point in making the cable detachable. A small moan that should not detract away from these great 'phones.

My advice? If you're looking to spend around £80 on headphones these have to be on your short list.

Creative Aurvana Air Nickel Titanium Premium in-ear Earphones with Flexible Ear Hook Design for Active Sports Use

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort, comfort, comfort - with high quality audio to match!, 14 Aug. 2010
Considering I picked these up for £80 (well £79.99 to be precise) I feel that a 5***** rating is fully justified. I am fussy to the extreme and I mean fussy. My problem is I have incredibly sensitive ear canals - I just cannot wear the 'in-ear' / 'ear-plug' type 'phones. Which is a shame because I had some Sennheiser IE8's which, believe me, are THE best value for money earphones around bar none. Alas, after months of trying to persevere I had to give them up because I cannot put anything actually IN my ear. Thus the search for some earphones continued . . . First up I tried the new Sennheiser OMX High -Fidelity metal crafted earphones. Very nice but in my opinion NOT worth the money compared to what I paid for the Creative Aurvanas. Also, surprisingly, I found the Aurvanas gave a much better sound - better base and treble with no distortion. That I feel is because you can get a much fit with the Creative's - and trust me when I say they are SOOOO COMFORTABLE it's unreal. The look and feel amazing. The sound is also incredible for an 'on-ear' 'phone. I should know - I've tried Q-Jays, Klipsch, Sennheiser OMX 980, Ultimate Ears - the IE8's aside, these match or better any of those (very highly rated) ear buds I have tried. The biggest plus with these though has to be the fact that you do not even know you're wearing them, they are design perfection and incredibly light. Like I said before its all comfort, comfort, comfort . . .

Thinking of buying these? BUY THEM. Creative also give you 30 days to make your mind up.

**In case you were wondering I got my Aurvanas from the Creative UK store website - slow delivery but well worth the wait**

The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
The Damage Done: Twelve Years Of Hell In A Bangkok Prison
by W Fellows

4.0 out of 5 stars Human brutality at its very worst., 9 Feb. 2005
A quite shocking read from start to finish.It really does engross the reader with some appalling accounts of life in a Thailand prison. That said, the book did to me become just that - one account after the other of ill-treatment. I would like to have known alot more about Warren's life once he was back home in Australia. How is he doing today? However do not let anything I may have commented on stop you from buying this book because once you pick it up you will not put it down until you have finished.