Profile for Garfield > Reviews

Content by Garfield

Garfield "pirbrighter" (Woking Surrey)

High Hopes
High Hopes

4.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this album..., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: High Hopes (MP3 Download)
and in many ways I do. It's certainly an improvement on one or two of Springsteen's recent albums (especially Working on a Dream and to some extent Magic), and it's a new sound. The longer (and louder) reworking of Tom Joad is really, really good. But the one thing that really bugs me about it is that I can barely make out any of the lyrics. I've been buying and enjoying the Boss's music since the heady days of Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, Human Touch and Lucky Town, and there aren't many of his albums that I haven't got or don't listen to. So I know that he's always had a tendency to throw out his lyrics in a sort of tense slur. But this one goes just that bit too far in that direction for me to award High Hopes any more than 4 stars.

Life In A Beautiful Light
Life In A Beautiful Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 17 Jun 2012
This was my first Amy Macdonald album, bought on spec after hearing extracts and reading other reviews. And I must say it really is a first-class album. Great voice, great sound, great songs...great everything else about it really. I'm never too sure when I see the label 'pop', because there's so much bland stuff out there. But this is different. Definitely recommended.

The Platinum Collection
The Platinum Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware, not the same as the CD version, 6 Jan 2012
This is overall a very good compilation of this great band, in all its various formats, and at a very good price. However, I noticed (after downloading it, unfortunately) that the last five tracks that appear on the CD version aren't on the download.

Astral Weeks
Astral Weeks

1.0 out of 5 stars Grossly overrated, 13 Oct 2011
This review is from: Astral Weeks (MP3 Download)
I have tried very hard to like Van Morrison, and almost succeeded with some of his (later) stuff. But not this one. I know people rave about it as being one of the greatest recordings ever, but I'm afraid - like some of the other reviewers here - I just don't get it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2012 1:56 AM BST

TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product but has limitations, 1 Mar 2010
I purchased this product essentially because I wanted a low-price webcam to chat with friends on Skype. I am generally very pleased with it, especially at the price. However, I do have 2 reservations about it, which is why I have only awarded it 3 stars:
- First of all, I was disappointed to discover that the cam doesn't actually hook conveniently on the top of my PC, which means that I have to position on my desk (although that may actually have more to do with the cable length). To do that I actually have to use blu-tak to keep it in position; it also means that the people I talk to have a rather distorted view of me.
- Secondly, the cable attached to the cam isn't very long - certainly not long enough for me to be able to plug it into the back of my PC.
But despite my own reservations, which may not bother or even apply to other users, if I were asked to recommend it, I would do so.

Confidence Stow A Bike Foldable Exercise X Bike
Confidence Stow A Bike Foldable Exercise X Bike

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy rubbish, 22 Feb 2010
I bought this machine to help in my recuperation from knee surgery. I wish I hadn't. When it arrived the box contained 2 monitors; one was smashed and didn't fit anyway, the other just didn't work. The resistance changer doesn't work either; it stays at one level of resistance, which is obviously useless if you want to build up strength. The crank case appears to have put together by someone in a hurry - the two sides don't meet. It's also not much use if you're more than about 1.75m tall, because the seat pillar doesn't go very high. If I'd bought this from a high street shop it would have gone straight back. As it is I really couldn't be bothered, if only because of the nuisance repacking it and arranging for its return. But it's a lesson learned: I will NEVER buy any product like this online again.

The Beatles: The Biography
The Beatles: The Biography
by Bob Spitz

3.0 out of 5 stars Irritatingly American, 21 Oct 2006
I really can't disagree with the other reviews of this lengthy book. It is very long (over 800 pages) and does contain mistakes - albeit not particularly serious ones, just sort of irritating (such as referring to Freddy and the Dreamers instead of Freddie) and inserting [sic] round all sorts of things (such as after an English critic's reference to Sgt Pepper - in the UK this album is (as far as I'm aware) normally referred to thus, rather than the strictly more correct Sgt Pepper's). But my main reason for being irritated by this otherwise well written and readable book is its American-ness (of which the Sgt Pepper gripe above is one example). The book's most glaring shortcoming is its lack of a UK discography - US, no problem, but we all know how different the track listings could be. So 3 stars for being well written and trying to be exhaustive. But how much better it could have been...you really had to be there.

Ireland: Awakening
Ireland: Awakening
by Edward Rutherfurd

4.0 out of 5 stars Over-long but readable, 13 Sep 2006
This review is from: Ireland: Awakening (Hardcover)
I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all of Edward Rutherfurd's previous novels. I therefore approached this one expecting it to be as enthralling and spellbinding as (most of) the others. Unfortunately, by the time I had struggled with the first 200 or so pages (out of 863) I found myself wishing it was over. Rutherfurd always follows the same formula for his novels - tracing various families through the centuries and observing their fluctuating fortunes. But until this one, he has always contained the saga within one volume. This one follows on directly from his previous novel, Dublin, and more than once while reading it I found myself wondering if the whole story could (should?) have been condensed into one volume. Rutherfurd obviously has a very powerful point to make about the suffering of Catholics in Ireland over the centuries, and does so very well (which actually makes me wonder what sales figures are like in Northern Ireland...). His characterisation of members of the Budge family, for instance, rather turns the old British press 'image' of the Irish republican back on the Ulster loyalists. So overall, a good read, but over-long.

Sinatra: The Life
Sinatra: The Life
by Anthony Summers

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but probably not the best Sinatra biography available, 26 May 2006
This review is from: Sinatra: The Life (Hardcover)
I read Anthony Summers' book 'File on the Tsar' many years ago and was impressed with the depth of research. I was similarly impressed with the depth of research involved with this biography of Frank Sinatra, unquestionably one of the greatest entertainers of all time. But I finished it feeling just a little let down; it incorporates a considerable amount of material, some old, some not so new, about Sinatra's already well documented connections with the Mafia. It is also unsparing in its description of Sintra the flawed human being. I just couldn't help feeling that it almost needed more material about Sinatra the artist, genius or not, to balance it up a little, or at least to round it off; certainly I finished it with the overriding impression that Sinatra was a thoroughly unpleasant character, and certainly not a sympathetic one.

On top of that is the book's deceptive size: the whole volume has a total of 573 numbered pages. The actual narrative, however, takes up only 389 of those pages; the remainder comprises extensive 'Notes and Sources' (and an index), plus acknowledgements.

So although I generally enjoyed it, if anyone were to ask me for my personal recommendation for the best Sinatra biography available, I would unhesitatingly say the (earlier) one by J. Randall Taraborrelli.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2010 4:44 PM BST