ARRAY(0xa6a2993c)

Profile for David Payne > Reviews

Content by David Payne

David Payne (Norwich, UK)

Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow [DVD]
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofia Loren
Offered by bestmediagroup
Price: 7.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic comedy 3 in 1, 30 Nov 2010
I remember seeing this many years ago in Italy at a cinema and it has stayed in my mind ever since.

This version, with English subtitles, will make it accessible to a much wider audience who can now appreciate what a superb comedy film this is.

It consists of 3 short films, each with the same leading actors, but in three different settings, one in Naples, one on a motorway near Milan and one in Rome. Sophia Loren and Marchello Mastroianni work perfectly together to make this one of the best Italian comedy films ever made.

The shocking history of advertising!
The shocking history of advertising!
by E. S. Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and very readable, 27 Sep 2010
E S Turner wrote a whole series of books, all based on meticulous research and spiced with humour. This particular book is one of his best and I'd recommend it to anyone as a very readable introduction to the history of Advertising.

Z-80 Assembly Language Programming
Z-80 Assembly Language Programming
by Lance A. Leventhal

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 27 Sep 2010
I had to learn Z80 programming in a hurry some 30-odd years ago and this is the book that was provided for me to use. Since the Z80 chip is still a favourite for masy embedded applications the book is still current and is, in my opinion, still one of the best there is. I'm finding it very useful, once again.

Scientific Calculator With 30KB Ram - Black
Scientific Calculator With 30KB Ram - Black
Offered by Calculators-Online
Price: 47.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A very capable scientific calculator, 27 Sep 2009
I'm a long-standing HP calculator fan so it's good, once again, to be able to buy a new HP Scientific that uses Reverse Polish Notation (RPN)

I still teach Electrical & Electroni Enginering and I find it invaluable in class. One feature I've not seen before is the abilty the machine has to switch to 'normal' operation if I need to lend it to anyone else.

I really only have one criticism: the Theta symbol for angles looks rather like an 8 on the screen. Apart from that, its's excellent
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2010 2:46 PM GMT

More Work for the Undertaker (Campion Mystery)
More Work for the Undertaker (Campion Mystery)
by Margery Allingham
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic story telling, 9 May 2009
I first read this story twenty-odd years ago and I was so impressed by it that I have tried to read all of Margery Allingham's Mr Campion detective stories since. This one has all the ingredients that I've come to expect from this series of detective novels: an unusual plot, weird names like Stanislaus Oates (a police detective), weird characters like the Palinode family who are central to the story and finally, a very clever title. To find out why this particular title is so apt you need to read the book. If you've never read any of Margery Allingham's books before, this is the one to start with.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2009 11:12 AM BST

Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Dictatorship, 1915-1945
Mussolini's Italy: Life Under the Dictatorship, 1915-1945
by R J B Bosworth
Price: 11.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Good once it gets going, 21 April 2009
Overall this is a fascinating book backed up by extensive research. It's not a particularly easy read, and I found the first chapter or two rather hard going, but once we get to the period from 1922 onwards it is very good indeed. My wife is Italian and I've always been fascinated by Italy. This book makes it easier to understand modern Italy.