Profile for Radish > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Us
Us

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking story, 23 April 2015
This review is from: Us (Kindle Edition)
When I saw this book I instantly thought "oh brilliant, I love David Nicholls" and I was right, another great story along with a tourist guide to Europe. The main character can be infuriating, as can all the others, but this is part of the appeal. Just as in real life nobody is perfect. Laugh out loud funny and heart breaking with a fantastic end. Just wish I'd read it before my trip to Florence not after....

How To Be a Woman
How To Be a Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Feminism at its best, 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: How To Be a Woman (Kindle Edition)
Brilliantly funny and spot on. I think I want to be friends with Caitlin Moran, if only she'd have me. I imagined most of this book as a long discussion in a pub one Sunday afternoon. Ignore the first few comments from men on Amazon, they're wrong and it's not surprising that they didn't 'really get it'. Their comments say a lot more about what sort of bloke they are than what sort of book this is. This book should be read by every female over the age of 13.

How to Build a Girl
How to Build a Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Just brilliant, 27 Sept. 2014
This book was read almost entirely in one sitting. Awkward, hilarious, heart breaking and so very clever. Dolly is a lot cleverer and funny than I ever was as a teenage, but this book captured the desire I had at that age to run into the world and swallow ever new experience whole. Even when it gets you in trouble.

Americanah
Americanah

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
I was gripped by this book from the beginning. The writing is outstanding and it is a book that you could feel, taste, and touch. The characters are multidimensional and come alive through their experiences. I lived their sorrows, laughter, anger and joy. This is a book that I will think about again and again.

The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty
The Idealist: Jeffrey Sachs and the Quest to End Poverty

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight, 10 April 2014
I heard an interview with Nina Munk and felt compelled to buy this book, which was brilliant. This is great for anyone working in development or even those who just have an interest. Nina is not a development expert, but her insight and analysis of people and situations is excellent. I would highly recommend this book.

Me Before You
Me Before You

5.0 out of 5 stars One that stays with you, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Me Before You (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really the type of reader to go for the usual 'girls book', however something drew me to this one. A very different story, brilliant characters, wonderfully funny and a real tear jerker. This book stayed with me for a long time after I'd read it and I still think about the characters.

The Crossing Places: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1
The Crossing Places: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just another crime thriller, 20 Dec. 2012
I really enjoyed this book and have since bought all the Ruth Galloway series. I really like the main character, in fact I like all the characters and it's not just another macho crime thriller detective novel. It's a really funny read and a different take on detective work.

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)
Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Dec. 2012
I thought Wolf Hall was one of the best books of the year, fantastic reenactment of history, wonderful characters brilliantly written, which is why I was anxious to read Bring up the bodies in case it couldn't match its predecessor. I needn't have feared as the second part of this trilogy was just as good and showed a slightly more sinister side to the lead character. This book is deserving of every accolade it receives and I would highly recommend reading it.

The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case
The Bat: The First Harry Hole Case

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 20 Dec. 2012
I'm a big fan of the Harry Hole series and can't believe there is an end, which is why I was keen to read this book and find out where the story started. However, I had read a review that said there is a reason this had previously not been translated and I couldn't agree more. The story was pretty terrible and it didn't do Harry justice. It was a pain to read in the end, but I had to see how it played out. I'm now trying to forget this book and focus all the other great Harry Hole stories.

The Paris Wife
The Paris Wife

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful slice of history, 20 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book and a wonderful story excellently written. The author really places you in the time and allows you to imagine life in Paris in the 1920's. It was a special time and this is depicted perfectly through the life of 'the Paris wife'. I didn't really know much about Ernest Hemingway before reading this book, other than him being a famous American writer. This book allowed the reader to understand how it is to be the partner of an artist, the struggles that you go through together in the quest for their career and the sacrifices made. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in history, people, relationships and life!

Page: 1 | 2