Profile for IAN LAKEN > Reviews

The Millennium Trilogy
The Millennium Trilogy
Price: 7.72

3.0 out of 5 stars One book crammed into three, 30 Jun 2014
Great story but too long in the telling. Obsessive in details that take up too much time. It was a struggle to maintain interest and finish.

The Eagle of Toledo: The Life and Times of Federico Bahamontes, the Tour's Greatest Climber
Price: 7.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long, 9 Oct 2013
I felt the author ran out of material and bulked it out with repetition. I struggled to stay with it until the end but like riding up Ventoux I stuck with it only Ventoux was easier.

Tour Climbs: The complete guide to every mountain stage on the Tour de France
Tour Climbs: The complete guide to every mountain stage on the Tour de France
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars It could have been 5 stars, 16 Aug 2013
A very useful and informative book that is well written and thought out. The only drawback is that the searchable index isn't and it took a long time for me to know where in the book I needed to be.

The Bicycle Reader | Number 2: Spring 2013
The Bicycle Reader | Number 2: Spring 2013
Price: 1.53

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 16 Aug 2013
A lazy collection of other peoples writings on the bicycle. Tends to be a bit pretentious and long winded. I am sure there are much more interesting articles written about our great sport that haven't seen the light of day for a while.

The Breakaway - Cycling the Mountains of the Tour de France
The Breakaway - Cycling the Mountains of the Tour de France
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 16 Aug 2013
I purchased this thinking it would just be another travel log of a fellow cyclist. To some extent I was right and he does tend to wander off into the surreal on occasions. However I can totally empathise with his feelings when slogging up mountains and the perverse pleasure it gives. Once you get used to the slightly annoying "comic" style of prose it is very good.

Philips SHQ4017/10 Sports Headphone Sports Neckband Headset for iPhone/iPod
Philips SHQ4017/10 Sports Headphone Sports Neckband Headset for iPhone/iPod

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 16 Aug 2013
I was having trouble keeping earphones in whilst jogging. These are excellent and do the job perfectly I would recommend them to anybody who like me cannot get on with the normal earbud headphones.

On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation's Cycling Soul
On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation's Cycling Soul
Price: 5.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 16 July 2013
Very readable, if predictable in places. I have read bits of this tale elsewhere but I suppose that's inevitable. Still worth the read and entertaining, an easy style.

Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar
Racing Through the Dark: The Fall and Rise of David Millar
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Ian laken, 16 Mar 2013
I started this book thinking just another drug cheat trying to justify his actions and portray himself as a victim. However it is more than that and hopefully will help to restore some faith to those who love cycling that things just might change. It is a well written and insightful look into the dark world of the peloton as it was (hopefully) in the past.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 3rd Edition
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Running, 3rd Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars More useful than you would think, 25 Feb 2013
So what's difficult about running - it's just one foot in front of the other quickly isn't it? Well no it's not that easy which is why this book is more useful than you would think. It has taken my wife from a non runner and helped her become a regular on the various routes around our home. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that in places it is long winded and too self congratulatory by the author.

RIIS
RIIS
Price: 5.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: RIIS (Kindle Edition)
An honest account of what is was like to be part of the "problem" of doping in the peloton and the struggle to face up to your shortcomings and try to be part of the solution. I still cannot forgive what people like him have done to the image of our great sport. It was still a great read and well written. Compelling stuff.