Profile for Mr. Paul A. Craven > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul A. Craven

Mr. Paul A. Craven "scooby" (Derby, UK)

Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC, comes with Airspace)
Leap Motion Controller (Interacts with your Mac or PC, comes with Airspace)

1.0 out of 5 stars All show and no go..... :(, 3 Sep 2013
I watched the videos and ordered Leap as soon as it was available.
It's well packaged and well made but is almost useless. I don't want to play games or draw, I want to be able to control Windows 8 with SIMPLE hand gestures.
I'm not expecting Minority Report, but this comes no where close.
They should have created a "Leap File Explorer" and that would have been a great start.

The unit has far too many issues with "too bright" lights, the developers must work with the lights off.

It's a too looking for a killer app, at the moment that app is not controlling the pc.

Returned my with great disappointment....

Qpad MK-80 Pro Gaming Backlit Mechanical Keyboard - UK Layout
Qpad MK-80 Pro Gaming Backlit Mechanical Keyboard - UK Layout
Offered by The Tech Lodge

5.0 out of 5 stars No school like the old school....., 20 Dec 2012
I'm a programmer and for the past few years I've been using reasonably priced membrane keyboards and to be honest I thought my typing skills were fading. Constant errors and retyping, it's was doing my nut in.

Then I heard mechanical keyboards were back on the menu. Had a look around and decided on one using Cherry MX Blue swictes, best for typing according to the reviews.
Opted for the MK-80 as it looked right and had a couple of USB ports.

Now I've not used a mechanical keyboard for the best part of 15 years and it was a revelation. From the moment I started using it my typing has improved. Accuracy and speed are both much better, and I'm still getting used to the layout. The keys are a lot louder than membrane, they sound and feel just like the old school '90s IBM keyboards, which were amazing.

I thought long and hard about this purchase, at £100 it's not cheap. But if you use a keyboard for typing everyday, you have to try one of these.

Back to the coding!! :)

akasa AK-ICR-08 Interconnect 3.5" Drive Bay Data Panel
akasa AK-ICR-08 Interconnect 3.5" Drive Bay Data Panel

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but not 100% compatible...., 21 Dec 2011
This is a well made item, that is easy to fit, it's a cut above the cheaper options available on ebay.
It uses the internal motherboard connectors, which is great.
It's lost a star as some "usual" items don't work 100% e.g. my Philips USB Skype phone is problematic with this hub.
Everything else has worked fine so far, I would recommend.

Visual Studio Pro 2008, Upgrade Edition (PC)
Visual Studio Pro 2008, Upgrade Edition (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bigger is not always better...., 8 Mar 2009
I've just upgraded from the original VS 2002, I wanted to start using some of the newer controls for a new project.
My primary usage is ASP.Net, in VB.
Now the first thing I noticed was that new tabs are opened on the left rather than the right. I don't know which muppet at Microsoft thought this was a good idea, but they were 100% wrong! It seems a trivial thing, but it just constantly annoys, every time you open a new window. Microsoft really need to address this, every other tabbing system opens new tabs on the right, it's just common sense.

The other major problem is the speed of the IDE, sometimes editing a page with 2 dozen controls on it can take 20 seconds to refresh! That's using XP on a 9600 quad core machine, 4 GB ram and raid 0 drives!
I've downloaded patches and disabled features I don't need but it's still easily 4 times slower than VS 2002. These speed issues come and go, with no apparent pattern, and disk usage becomes excessive.

These two problems can seriously extend development times.
There can be no excuse from microsoft, this should never have got out of beta testing.

It's a real shame because I really like the new features.

I'm hoping microsoft will release some patches to fix these issues soon.
With these out of the way, it would be an amazing product.

Canon IXUS 960 IS Digital Camera  - Titanium (12.1MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Canon IXUS 960 IS Digital Camera - Titanium (12.1MP, 3.7x Optical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

2.0 out of 5 stars Great specs, but does it deliver, is it reliable?, 23 Oct 2007
Bought the 960 to replace my excellent Ixus 400, a camera that had been excellent over 3 years of use.
The 960IS appears to be the ideal replacement, more pixels, great features and a 40m waterproof housing available.
The image quality is acceptable, not DSLR standards, but great for a compact digital. The 640x480 video is outstanding, superb detail and high frame rate, great for home DVDs.

BUT.....
There are a couple of things that are not good.
When videoing in bright sunlight, say water reflections, my camera is displaying hundreds of vertical white and green lines. Looks line an old 8mm recording. I have never seen this on any other camera.
But, the main problem is the lens, couple of days ago I heard a "clunk", then the lens wouldn't retract fully. The camera displayed "Lens Error, restart camera". After about 6 attempts and another "clunk" the lens returned to normal. It hasn't lasted though, today the lens has just jammed out. Not good when you're in the middle of a snorkelling trip! This time it appears to be more drastic, the lens will not move more than 3mm.
So now I'm now in Fuerteventura, on holiday, with a £250 titanium paperweight.
I've contacted canon by email, no reply yet.
If you look on the net, you can see quite a few people have had similar problems with the newer Ixus cameras.

I hope this can be sorted as it's a great camera, when it's working!
The camera is a 5* piece of kit, but I can only give it 2* for breaking after 1 month.....
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2008 3:09 PM GMT

Tarifa Groove Collection 05 (Bonus Dvd)
Tarifa Groove Collection 05 (Bonus Dvd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Chill Out...., 10 May 2006
Tarifa is an exceptional place....

Those in the groove are drawn back year after year.

Kitesurfers and windsurfers are the only tourists, everyone else just passes through.

This CD and DVD captures the essence of the Tarifa experience.

Chilled Spanish Sun, sea and surf.

Awesome CD!!