Profile for Myke C > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
National Trust Topiary Shears
National Trust Topiary Shears

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have addition to toolbox, 3 Jan. 2015
Relatively inexpensive, efficient and long wearing. Useful for many trimming tasks in the garden. Though advertised as "National Trust " they are a regular brand. ( Alas, I discarded the packaging a longtime back, so cannot be precise. Possibly "Bulldog" )

Jekka's Complete Herb Book
Jekka's Complete Herb Book
by Jekka McVicar

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasured Book, 3 Jan. 2015
Wow 1994..... I purchased this book on its original release, and like another reviewer, I return to it time and time again. Its my "Herb Bible". Good illustrations, excellent cultivation advice, similarly growing and harvesting advice.
I have recently purchased this book for many friends and relations, and would recommend as a gift to anyone who has any interest in gardening.

70 Years of Beano/Dandy: v.22: Winter Games (Annual)
70 Years of Beano/Dandy: v.22: Winter Games (Annual)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Nov. 2014
One of the best Beano/Dandy annuals.

The Beano 100 Postcards: 100 Postcards in a Box
The Beano 100 Postcards: 100 Postcards in a Box
by Frances Lincoln Ltd
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Daze, 17 Nov. 2014
Delighted with this collection. Will use as framed pics to remind me of happy comic reading days in 60s/70s.
Recommended

Greenkey Pop Up Garden Bag
Greenkey Pop Up Garden Bag

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 15 Sept. 2014
I purchased two Greenkey garden bags in preference to the more expensive "Town & Country" version, which is a sturdy model. How I wish I had stayed with my instincts. Lasted less than a month before falling apart. I am currently on the second bag and dont hold any great expectations. Possibly the worst item I have ever purchased from Amazon, I should have known better.
UPDATE...... (January 2015)......the second bag mentioned lasted throughout autumn into current new year, it had a lot of heavy use, in dry & wet conditions. I use it 6 days a week, so dont expect it to last forever. But huge improvement on the first bag, guess the first one was faulty.

Lincoln [DVD]
Lincoln [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars A Difficult Watch, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Lincoln [DVD] (DVD)
In a nutshell... I thought the acting by all was excellent. The storyline impelling and from what I can gather the background story accurate. It had me searching the internet for more info and insight. However, from a UK point of view, it was so boring. Bogged down with American politics (which I suppose the film is specifically about) and procedure. I did watch it in its entirety, otherwise I wouldnt comment, but it was hard work.

Sony ICF404L Portable Radio with 3-Band Analogue Tuner
Sony ICF404L Portable Radio with 3-Band Analogue Tuner
Offered by K.K. Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Friend, 4 May 2014
I am a radio addict, I listen to radio from 7am to 7.30pm every day, and often longer into the evening. As a full time gardener, I find this radio essential to keep me company throughout the day. I have gone through five Sony ICF404L's in ten years, thats one every two years, which considering I am outside daily, is value for money.( Its quite robust and survives falls and rain ) The sound is good and volume suffient for outdoor use. I have Radio4 on most of the time, but also listen to music from time to time. FM/MW/LW Three AA batteries last me about 3 - 4 weeks ( 12 hours a day). Try not to damage the ariel which can snap a tad easily (though replacements are inexpensive and easy to fit).

Saving Mr Banks [DVD]
Saving Mr Banks [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever & Captivating, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Saving Mr Banks [DVD] (DVD)
Enjoyed this movie very much. Well documented by others. My main observation being the excellent performance by Walt Disney....I mean Tom Hanks !!

Good Vibrations [DVD] [2012]
Good Vibrations [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jodie Whittaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative Ulster, 13 April 2014
This review is from: Good Vibrations [DVD] [2012] (DVD)
I'd give this wonderfully uplifting movie 4.5 stars if Amazon had such a setting. Most enjoyable reflection of the Good Vibrations record store in Belfast (I've never been there incidently). Punk, New Wave, Alternative, John Peel.....its all here. Film critic, Mark Kermode loved this movie....so do I. ( Worthwhile & interesting extras on the disc )

1001: Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
1001: Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
by Robert Dimery

5.0 out of 5 stars 1001/1001, 13 April 2014
I like lists. I like books of lists. I love this book of lists the most !
Dating from 1955 (Frank Sinatra) to 2013 (David Bowie) the book covers all aspects of music/album releases.
Using the book as a guide to explore new music to my ears, I am trawling my way through the book (accompanied by Spotify).
Inevitably, there are albums I dont like and some I adore, but best of all its opening up new horizons.
Relatively unbiased, and beautifully illustrated. A must for music fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3