Profile for Ca55idy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mind MGMT Volume 1: The Manager
Mind MGMT Volume 1: The Manager

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word - Superb, 10 Jun 2014
I'm very selective with the graphic novels I read, generally speaking, give me a novel any day of the week. Every now and again though, a graphic novel comes along that simply grabs you, draws you in and demands your attention - you know the ones: sandman, preacher, y the last man, locke and key. Mind mgmt is absolutely on par with those. It's a challenging and thought provoking read, a complex story that makes you think and stays with you long after you've finished.

Funnily enough, the one thing that initially put me off was the artwork. I opened the book, read the introduction by damen lindelof, and thought it sounded great. I then saw the art and was immediately disappointed - for whatever reason at the time though, I still bought it. I've now just finished book 3 and funnily enough, I love the art - it's hard to describe, but somehow fits the story perfectly - so much so I have just spent several hundred dollars ordering some original artwork from the author - now that really is mind mgmt!

Pilot
Pilot
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Would definitely watch more..., 27 Feb 2014
I really enjoyed this. Gripped me from the start and certainly enough to make me want to watch more. Only criticism would be the Irish accent - felt a bit overdone in the early stages but settled down as it progressed.

More Than This
More Than This

5.0 out of 5 stars Un-put-downable, 7 Feb 2014
This review is from: More Than This (Kindle Edition)
Cards on the table, I thoroughly enjoyed Patrick Ness's Chaos walking trilogy (and suggest anyone reading this review to immediately go to the search button, type in 'chaos walking trilogy', order them all and then read them).

For some reason though, I wasn't immediately drawn to this story. The concept, the blurb, the cover - I don't know what it was but it took me quite a while to get round to reading this. Which made the next couple of days reading even more pleasurable - putting it simply, the story engulfed me. It grabs you from the first pages and the constant search for understanding kept me hooked until the end. Did it answer every question? Explain every mystery? Maybe not - but that didn't seem to be the point. There's a strong message in this story and it takes you on an exciting journey to get there, so I would urge anyone who is undecided on this book to give it a try, you won't regret it.

DVB-T TV PAL Female to Male Right Angle RF Adapter Connector 2 Pieces
DVB-T TV PAL Female to Male Right Angle RF Adapter Connector 2 Pieces
Offered by sourcingmap

4.0 out of 5 stars just the job.., 25 Sep 2013
I have recently bought a flatscreen TV and the bracket rested against the aerial socket - so with the cable coming out it forced the TV further out. 'I wonder if there's anything you can get that allows the cable to go in at a right angle?' I thought to myself. One "google" later, a link to amazon and then it's winging its way to me.

Works a treat and no problems at all. Only thing I would say is that I had to order something else with the item as it can't be shipped on its own - but it was a good excuse to buy a book:-)

Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For Most 26" - 42" TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 200mm x 200mm (Please Check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)
Offered by Invision Technology (UK) Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars what's the catch?, 9 Sep 2013
That really was my first thought - 'what's the catch?'.

Why is this so cheap when other, equivalent, ones are 3 or 4 times the price? I still don't know the answer, but what I can say is that it arrived on time, looks sturdy and has been succesfully holding my samsung 40" LED TV to the wall for several days. The movement is good and more than covers all angles of the room. I couldn't say what it was like to install as I has a builder in doing an extension and he hung it for me - but it took him no time at all.

I'd heartily reccommend - especially if you're like me and can't really understand why some of the brackets out there are so expensive - this actually seems to be about the price I would expect them to be....

OXO Tot Sprout Highchair (Green/Walnut)
OXO Tot Sprout Highchair (Green/Walnut)

5.0 out of 5 stars One year on..., 21 Aug 2013
We've had this chair for just about a year now and it's been great. looks fantastic, wipes down easily and we've had absolutely no problems at all - couldn't ask for more really.

Quies Ear Plugs 16
Quies Ear Plugs 16
Offered by KrystalDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Tried everything else..., 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Quies Ear Plugs 16 (Personal Care)
I've tried all sorts of different earplugs and come to the conclusion that if someone could invent and market a pair that actually worked and totally drowned out all noise, then they would be a multi-millionaire and probably the saviour of numerous marriages.

In the absence of said sound-suppresing-entreprenurialism, these seem to be about the best alternative. They certainly muffle my wifes snores to a generally acceptable rumble instead of the usual ear-splitting, pounding of a pneumatic drill.

The Rook (The Checquy Files 1)
The Rook (The Checquy Files 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I will be lining up for book 2..., 21 Aug 2013
I quite enjoy randomly browsing the Amazon "other people bought these books" suggestions and every now and again they come up with a winner. And such was the case with the Rook.

It was one of those books where I knew almost nothing other than the numerous other good reviews and I'm glad to say I really enjoyed it. Daniel O'Malley has built a fantastical but credible world and populated it with some strange and interesting characters - overall a really good story and a very promising start for what I expect is a series (judging by the rather presumptious naming of the book as '1 (The Chequuy Files').

The Golden Rules of Acting
The Golden Rules of Acting
by Andy Nyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Manage your expectations and you'll be OK, 21 Aug 2013
I should probably caveat this review by saying I am not an actor. Nor ever have or am intending to be. So arguably I am not the intended audience - but equally I've read (and enjoyed) quite a few childrens books over the years so feel a precedent has been set.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Any Nyman's. Good actor and by all acounts, the brains behind Derren Brown (and I don't mean that as a slight on Mr Brown...). So I was looking forward to reading some of his thoughts on acting and life in general. Overall I finished the book feeling slightly disappointed. This was probably as much to do with my expectations as I really enjoyed reading Andy's thoughts and tips - but I would have liked more. The book is thin and really just a collection of one-line quotes that could probably be condesned into a couple of pages of A4.

So I think if you set your expectations at the right level (think 20 minute conversation with Andy Nyman whereby he shouts a variety of advice at you) then I think you'll enjoy.

Magic. 1400s-1950s
Magic. 1400s-1950s
by Mike Caveney

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you really need convincing?, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Magic. 1400s-1950s (Hardcover)
If you are here and looking at this review then you probably don't need me to tell you too much more about the book and why you should buy it. If you're interested in the history of magic and want something of real quality, then at this price, there really is no choice, you should definitely get it....

But a couple of things for me that bring it down to a four star. Primarily, as a number of people have mentioned, the book is in 3 languages. It doesn't detract from the overall appeal, but there is no getting away from the fact that two thirds of the book are completely unreadable to me. You could argue that in this day and age with our country embracing the EU I should get off my preverbially and learn a new language - but at my age that seems like an awful lot of work just to read a book:-)

One other point was that I had to return my first book. The binding was coming away down the spine and it felt as if it could easily start to lose some pages - if I'm honest the replacement isn't 100%, but that's probably just me nit-picking. The returns service from Amazon was excellent (and simple).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3