Profile for Mr. T. SWAIN > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. SWAIN

Mr. T. SWAIN "tim swain" (Wales, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Savage Altar
The Savage Altar

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Savage Altar (Kindle Edition)
This is a really good story.it has a really interesting narrative angle in that the heroine is a lawyer and not a detective! It is a severe indictment of a religious cult and especially the arrogance and hypocrisy of its leaders. The bleak Swedish winter is an intriguingly dark and menacing setting.The writing is clear and almost poetic at times.the novel has pace and interesting characterisation. There is so much to admire in this book!

Friedland 200m D914 Libra Plus Wirefree Portable Chime and Push
Friedland 200m D914 Libra Plus Wirefree Portable Chime and Push

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly loud!, 4 Sep 2013
A very good product which booms through the house and into the back garden! My only slight worry is the two way sticky pad which sticks the bell push onto my UPvc front door frame. It seems a bit wobbly though there is an alternative way of fixing the bell push if you have a wooden frame etc..

A really pleasing buy.

The Nightmare
The Nightmare

3.0 out of 5 stars Curious, 16 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Nightmare (Kindle Edition)
I haven't read a book written almost entirely in the present tense since Camus' brilliant "l'Etranger". It somehow worked for Camus and lent a sense of immediacy to the events. In my view, it doesn't work so well with this novel.Instead, it is like reading a film script complete with stage directions.It grates after a while and detracts from a pretty good and welcome political message about the evils of arms' trading.I also think it was very wordy and the long drawn out conclusion was rather tiresome.Incidentally, why did Disa not answer Joona's calls??

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

1.0 out of 5 stars Not amusing, 13 Aug 2013
I am amazed by all the positive reviews of this book. I am and always will be a fan of Tom Sharpe and Spike Milligan both of whom made me really laugh out loud.In my opinion, this book is no "Wilt" or "Puckoon". There is a carefree charm about the central character, admittedly, but that wears pretty thin after
a while owing to repetitive devices and situations.The most I could muster was a grim half-smile at some of the irony.I had to skim the last quarter of the book in order to find out what happened in the end.

Oh well, maybe it's me but I think this book is wildly overrated.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2014 6:40 PM GMT

Outrage
Outrage

5.0 out of 5 stars A real pleasure, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Outrage (Kindle Edition)
Good story.Also very thoughtful and engrossing social comment. Well worth the read.I like the atmosphere which the author evokes and the concentration for once on the female detective.

EasyAcc Black High Quality Leather Protective Cover Case with Light for Amazon Kindle Touch Wi-Fi, Kindle Touch 3G 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display Reader (Black, PU leather)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent product, 23 Mar 2013
I am very impressed with this product.It has a very strong protective cover and has a useful light for bedtime reading. The price is very reasonable especially when you consider how expensive the normal product is.A good buy.

Safe House
Safe House

2.0 out of 5 stars Bored, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Safe House (Kindle Edition)
I am afraid I didn't manage to finish this book which is very unusual for me. I was put off by the style, really, and the nature of the dialogues. Just not my cup of tea, maybe.

Karcher WV50 cordless window vac and Small Head head attachment
Karcher WV50 cordless window vac and Small Head head attachment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool, 15 Nov 2012
This Karcher machine is a godsend. It clears condensation from our windows very efficiently and quickly.It collects the water within the machine and you can dispose of it very easily.Well worth the money.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy

5.0 out of 5 stars An engrossing read, 8 Nov 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. With its unusual setting, its glowering skies and biting winds, its range of interesting and stimulating characterisations and its cleverly unfolding plot, I found it hard to put down.The writing is a joy to read and I particularly enjoyed the use of Gaelic terms and expressions often alluded to.The plot is compelling and intriguing.

Disgrace (Department Q Book 2)
Disgrace (Department Q Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 6 Oct 2012
I really enjoyed this novel which held my attention all the way through.I found the relationship between Carl and his assistant Assad interesting and different and also found the characterization of the damaged Kimmie compelling.The cruelty inflicted on the lesser mortals and animals by the public school elite was unspeakably barbaric and horrific.All in all, a good read.

Page: 1 | 2