Profile for Avid reader > Reviews

Content by Avid reader

Avid reader "fairbrit" (England)

Magis Dish Doctor, Orange
Magis Dish Doctor, Orange
Offered by Design 55 online
Price: 56.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance!, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Magis Dish Doctor, Orange
Less than 12 months after purchase [not from Amazon, I might add] one of the green top bits snapped off and could not be glued back on. In spite of asking the supplier to refund or replace my drainer, nothing was done for me. Then I wrote direct to the creator in Australia and still nothing was done. This is a terrible drainer and I warn anyone against buying it because although it is amazing to look at, it is not robust, easy to clean, or practical. That said, had Magis replaced my original broken drainer I probably would still be using it as I love the look of it so much!

Give Me Everything You Have: On Being Stalked
Give Me Everything You Have: On Being Stalked
by James Lasdun
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this down!, 23 Oct 2013
Lasdun's writing is enviably sharp, edgy, succinct. No wasted words: they simply sing from the page. Ordinarily I would not be interested in reading an account of a stalker, just not my thing, yet I simply could not put this book down. I finished it over the course of an evening.

Perhaps even more chilling is the ending - well, there IS no ending...

I now find myself wondering, what has happened? What has happened to Nasreen?

If only all writers had Lasdun's talent: to take the facts of a personal story and then weave them into a gripping taut account that takes on mythic emotional proportions.

Lasdun's gift is to beckon us into his world. His writing demands that we become part of his landscape, part of his unremitting struggle to free himself from his stalker.

Cavallini Bon Voyage Wrapping Paper
Cavallini Bon Voyage Wrapping Paper
Offered by Masque Wrapping
Price: 2.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremely expensive!!, 29 Jun 2013
Whilst the design and quality of this paper is beautiful, I will never again buy this as the postage brought the purchase up to almost 8 for one sheet of wrapping paper! This cost almost as much as the gift I wrapped it in. If the supplier can reduce the postage then I of course would continue to buy this. Otherwise I urge you to think again before clicking on that Buy Now button.

Blood on the Altar
Blood on the Altar
by Tobias Jones
Price: 11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly compassionate and a gripping read, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Blood on the Altar (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading Blood on the Altar [which I completed in one day]. And I am blown away!

True crime is what I love and I do read a lot of it. But out of all the true crime books I've read over the years, Blood on the Altar is the most breathtaking so far.

Tobias Jones's writing has a most amazing quality: an alchemy of fiction, biography, cinematic narrative, horror, love, suspense, honesty, humour, truth...

His revelations about the Italian justice system have left me appalled and shaken even though we got a glimpse of Italy's "dark core" during the Meredith Kercher trial. I now am fuelled by this gnawing need that Jones will shortly write other books about the other unsolved murders that he mentions in Blood on the Altar.

This author has a rare gift. And I am grateful that there are writers out there such as Jones who have kind hearts and souls and who are so much more than investigative journalists or would-be TV presenters trying to make a name for themselves.

Thank you Mr Jones for writing about dearest Elisa Claps. Your book honours her and her family with such love and respect and humility and integrity. If only all the victims of murder could be honoured by authors in this way.

Mamma let's cook!
Mamma let's cook!
by Maria Castellano
Price: 21.56

5.0 out of 5 stars become an Italian mumma!, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: Mamma let's cook! (Hardcover)
I saw this book in an Italian airport last Sept and fell in love with the photos. When I returned to the UK I bought it in its English translation and nothing is lost. Very easy to follow, simple fresh Italian food. And you don't have to have small children to buy this book. Flicking through the recipes and the photos, it reminds me of that wondrous time when my daughter (now grown) and I would spend making biscuits together. A great introduction to Italian food - with or without the children!

Swedish Clogs : Peep Toe Clogs in Black Leather with Black Sole
Swedish Clogs : Peep Toe Clogs in Black Leather with Black Sole

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky 70s Disco Memories, 27 Jan 2011
Amazing service - it came within 48 hours of my order [which was placed at night]. The quality is wonderful and as I cannot afford the Swedish Hasbeens clogs, this is definitely a winner! One word of advice: I am a regular size 37 but had to go up to 38, so it seems as though they can come up quite small. No problem for Lotta, though, as she measured the clogs for me and was so helpful.

The Making of a Serial Killer: The Real Story of the Gainesville Student Murders in the Killer's Own Words (True Crime Series)
by Danny Rolling

1.0 out of 5 stars Possibly vilest book I've read??, 13 Nov 2008
This has to rate as one of the vilest books I have ever read. As a seasoned reader of true crime I am interested in the psychology of serial murder. However, this book has totally floored me. Its gratuitous violence perpetrated by the killer himself, Rollings, makes this one of the most despicable publications on the subject. There was no reason to use detailed profanities to describe the murders since this doesn't advance or add to our knowledge about serial killings. Rollings showed no respect or remorse for his victims, always wanting to point the finger at his cruel father. He constantly distances himself from the crimes by referring to them as "what happened" rather than "what I did" which set off alarm bells to me right from the get-go. One has to wonder at the psyshcological profile of his lover/co-author Sondra London who gave Rollings free rein to re-live and reminisce his heinous acts of rape and murder and allowed him to defend himself against claims that he sodomised victims and was gay. Rollings seems far angrier at these latter two accusations than the fact that he murdered four human beings. To add insult to injury Colin Wilson introduces this book and he is someone I previously admired in this field of writing. I feel so strongly about this book I don't know where to take my anger! My only hope is that this review prevents someone like me from reading this travesty. Far better to look at The Street Cleaner by Nicole Ward Jouve if you want true insights into a serial killer's psyche and early genesis. She at least honours the victims (without dismissing Sutcliffe as a human) which is more than can be said for both Rollings and London. This kind of book which 'celebritizes' killers should never be published and should carry a warning.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2010 9:17 PM GMT

The White Hotel
The White Hotel
by D M Thomas
Price: 6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning and emotional, 30 Jan 2007
This review is from: The White Hotel (Paperback)
In February 1982 I took my first edition hardback copy of The White Hotel to a pub in north London where I saw DM Thomas read from his novel. Afterwards he signed my book. I have never forgotten meeting him. I have read hundreds of novels since my first reading of The White Hotel in 1981, yet none have quite matched the intensity, imagination or sheer daring of this particular story. For anyone who is familiar with Freud's writings, it is sheer poetry to read Thomas's ingenious passages based on the Professor himself. Freud simply comes alive on the pages! It is difficult to write anything new about the holocaust, but The White Hotel has managed to. I believe that a movie is in the making as I write, but I don't think anything will quite match the sparing prose or the moving undercurrents of this book. Be afraid. Be very afraid. But it's worth reading it through to the end so that you can recall the final pages, as I do now, with a sense of sorrow and admiration.