Profile for C. P. Sculthorpe > Reviews

Content by C. P. Sculthorpe

C. P. Sculthorpe

Live Over Europe: 2007 (2CD)
Live Over Europe: 2007 (2CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Jan 2008
I bought this hoping to re-live the thrill of earlier efforts. I grew up with Seconds Out and enjoy much of 3 sides live. I've seen the band four times and their music feels like part of my bones.

This is all the more disappointing for that reason. It just doesn't stand up to comparision to earlier live work. The performances lack energy, detail and atmosphere, there are too many poor songs on the setlist (can't bear Land of Confusion, Domino, I Can't Dance), as well as songs which have been played to death in previous years and , as many others have pointed out, the sound is not great. It sounds like what it was - a band rattling around in an enormous echoey stadium, never the best place to listen to music for me.

I've got the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in my car at the moment and it really is magic. So distinctive, strange, original, atmospheric, exciting, dramatic, funny and just thrilling. I really hope that the band bring this back to the stage in their full line up, as the rumours have suggested over the last few years. If they do, I really hope that the performance lives up to the bands greatest moments.

The Box Set 1964-2004
The Box Set 1964-2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous box set, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: The Box Set 1964-2004 (Audio CD)
I just downloaded this box set, 101 songs in total from itunes uk. The whole thing cost £6.99. I don't know if it's an error or not, but it's a fantastic bargain. The material is wonderful, a real treasure trove. Scorching, angry, political, passionate, funny, charming, beautiful.. how many more adjectives are there to describe this body of work? Get it here for the packaging, which I'm sure is marvellous, or get it from itunes for the music, before they put the price up!