Profile for Gez > Reviews

Titanfall (Xbox One)
Titanfall (Xbox One)
Price: 29.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Standby for TitanFall!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Titanfall (Xbox One) (Video Game)
I'm inclined to agree with R.J.Harveys review. I've not really played much MP as I've tried COD, etc in the past and got plain bored of the spawn, die, spawn, die, repeat play style thanks to levelled up players sniping.

I wasn't going to get titanfall after the beta as it's purely MP and I don't want to play all the time with random people...however after joining a well known Xbox forum, I've made a load of new friends playing Titanfall. In fact Friday night there were more of us than could fit in one lobby so we had to have two parties (which I believe is being rectified very soon via DLC).

Onto the game - its fast-paced action from the second you jump off the ship until the second you (hopefully) take off after reaching the pick-up ship. As mentioned - it doesn't matter if you are good or bad as there are lots of grunts that can be killed even if you can't bag a player or several. I'm rubbish at shooters, but even I've managed to 'rodeo' a titan and kill it - twice so far.

I'm sure there are people who will quote resolutions and frame rates - but I don't give a hoot. For me the game is smooth and visually very good. As I said the pace is fast, to the point where loading screens seem to last forever as the adrenaline is pumping.

I've dropped it one star as the 'campaign' is a bit poor. It's basically two type of match alternated over half the maps with some voice commentary. As far as I can tell it serves no real purpose other than practice and unlocking the other titans for gameplay.

I do think the hype has been overdone with this, but I am pleased with my purchase. Especially now I've noticed the price dropped for me after ordering.

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One)
Price: 37.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Average at best, 10 Jan 2014
This game looked great on the trailers so I ordered for day one release. Graphically it is very 'pretty' which you'd expect from a launch title for a next-gen console. Sadly that is about all I can say positive about it. The campaign is too short and repetitive. It took me five hours from start to finish - and I'm not a 'hardcore' gamer. The gameplay is so 'on rails' it really disappoints. All you can do is follow the set path to the next fight. Even the boss fights are a case of pressing the right buttons when prompted.

I traded my copy within a week while I could still get a decent price. I expect this will be in the bargain bin before long.

Fellowes Blu Ray Lens Cleaner
Fellowes Blu Ray Lens Cleaner
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I'm convinced!, 15 Aug 2013
Recently my Panasonic Home Cinema system stopped reading Blu ray discs but DVDs worked fine. I called a local Panasonic stockist/repairers and was told the inspection fee was 50, which would be deducted from the final repair bill if I chose to go ahead. He guessed (from my description of the fault) that it would likely need parts and be over 100 to repair.

As the unit was only 18 months old, I emailed Panasonic for advice. They suggested a disc cleaner. I've always avoided these in the past as I've read horror stories saying they scratch the laser. Well I wasn't going to spend 100+ on repair and would likely get a new unit - so I thought I'd give this a go.

The disc itself looks like a DVD with three very small brushes in a triangle shape. I assume this is the 'arrow' that the instructions mention. Well I ran through the cleaning process and the speaker checks (which showed I had the rear speakers the wrong way around - d'oh!). Slapped in a Blu Ray disc and....same problem as before. Pants! Just before I gave up and started to price up a replacement unit - I decided to give it one more try (I read on a review someone saying it needed running more than once)....SUCCESS!!! It bloomin well fixed it!

The Blu Ray film is as clear as can be - so I assume no scratching to the laser. I am chuffed! Thanks very much!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 1:49 PM GMT

Bakers Complete with Tasty Lamb and Country Vegetables 14 kg
Bakers Complete with Tasty Lamb and Country Vegetables 14 kg
Price: 20.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pack weight reduced and cost increased!, 11 Aug 2013
We have been buying the 15kg bags of this from Amazon for our dogs. I'm very disappointed to see the 'new pack size' is 1Kg less and the price is almost 50% higher! Will be shopping elsewhere from now on.

Russell Hobbs 12051-56 Salt and Pepper Grinders, Battery Powered - Stainless Steel
Price: 20.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not perfect., 26 April 2013
Got these to replace our old 'manual' salt and pepper grinders. I was attracted to these due to the reputable brand and good reviews.

Good points:
Nice stainless steel finish so they look good
Adjustable grind
Easy to use

Bad points:
Very small storage compartment - it is literally the clear part you can see.
Battery usage - FOUR AA batteries in each grinder!?!?
The light is a bit pointless unless you like LOTS of salt and pepper. The grind is that quick - you only need to press the button and let go straight away.

Braun Series 3 390cc-4 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre
Braun Series 3 390cc-4 Electric Shaver with Cleaning Centre
Price: 79.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but could be better., 24 Jan 2013
I got this just before Christmas while the price was reduced (by about 20%) to replace my old shaver. The self cleaning function appealed to me so I went for this model. The shaver itself I find very comfortable to use and I like the switch to lower the front cutters allowing precise shaving under your nose. The cutting heads also move independantly to give a nice, comfortable shave. There is a small pouch for storage, but I leave mine on the base.

Cleaning is easy - just put on the base and away it goes. Drying does take a while - but if you clean after you shave...I doubt anyone will need to shave again within the 4(ish) hours it takes. After cleaning the shaver has a nice 'clean' fragrance.

My only gripe - which could be improved is that the intstructions recommend cleaning after every shave - no problem there..but you cannot clean it without it automatically charging again. I've always preferred to run the battery flat before fully charging to preserve the life of it. With this I either clean AND charge or do neither.

Overall a nice piece of kit.

Ultimate Snow Foam 5 Litres (Auto EXPRESS Best Buy)
Ultimate Snow Foam 5 Litres (Auto EXPRESS Best Buy)

2.0 out of 5 stars It's ok but not great., 23 Dec 2012
I got 5L of this with the snow foam lance bought on here. The recommended 'best' way to use it is neat on a dry car - so that's what I've done. The first time I used it I used 500ml to cover my Mondeo. The foam was at best average. I've heard it should be left on for 5-10 minutes, but within 2 minutes it was sliding off the car. I washed it off and it did an ok job as a pre-clean. When I was washing the nozzle I realised the lance has 5 settings. The second time I washed the car I set the lance to the highest setting - 5 for thicker foam. This time 500ml did half the car so I used a litre in a single wash. Again within a few minutes it was slipping off the car onto the floor.

It does an adequate job of loosening dirt ready for a hand wash, but at the current rate 5L will only wash the car 5 times. Think I'll be trying an alternate brand next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2013 9:38 AM BST

Nilfisk ALTO Ultimate Snow Foam Lance Kit
Nilfisk ALTO Ultimate Snow Foam Lance Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars A little expensive for what it is., 17 Dec 2012
This fits directly to the trigger part of the pressure washer lance and creates a 'foam' from the special liquid in the bottle mixed with air and water. The device itself seems well made and (as I found out after I used it) has five settings. Presumably these affect the thickness of the foam - but I do not know as it came without instructions. The liquid supplied mentions mixing with water or for best effect using neat. I poured around 500ml (estimate) into the bottle without adding water. The foam itself seemed quite thin (next time I will try the adjustment to see if it improves) and it didn't stick to the car very well. I know from reviews on the internet that you should leave it for 5-10 minutes before washing off. Within a couple of minutes this was 'dribbling' down the car doors and leaving streaky marks. I rinsed off and admit it has removed some of the road salt/dirt that had accumulated. The amount of liquid I'd used was just about right for one car (Mondeo) so I calculate I'll get about 10 washes from the 5 litres supplied.

UPDATE: After playing with lance settings I've found 'five' gives the better foam, but uses a litre to do a whole car. Don't think I'll bother with this again. Will try Magifoam.

Nilfisk C120 3-6 Pressure Washer with Car and Deck Cleaner Pack
Nilfisk C120 3-6 Pressure Washer with Car and Deck Cleaner Pack

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad., 17 Dec 2012
I received this item as a replacement for the C-110 which I'd previously ordered and found lacking in power. It's worth paying the extra few pounds for the C120 bundle. Unfortunately this item - as others have commented - comes with a 2-pin EURO plug. As I type - Amazon have removed it from sale while this is investigated. To their credit - the service guy apologised profusely and offered to send an adapter plug, a full refund or a credit of 5 so that I could purchase an adapter locally. I chose the last option so I could use the washer sooner, which I did over the weekend.

The bundle comes with various attachments (see description) - some of which I have not yet tested. The connector for the hose is plastic - and needs to be fitted with care to avoid cross-threading. The pressure washer is very good. The power difference from the C-110 was noticable and much better. One of the nozzles is adjustable for water pressure. The extension lance fits with a bayonet style connection and nozzles connect to this with a simple push fitting to make swapping nozzles easy.

The Patio attachment (sold on Amazon as Patio Plus) was a let down. Firstly this attaches to the trigger part of the lance (not the extension piece) so from trigger to head is about 18"...not great if you are 6'2" like me. Secondly (and probably due to faulty parts) the water pressure from the unit was barely a trickle. The arms would not even spin as the pressure was not high enough. I reported this to Amazon today and asked for the patio cleaner to be replaced (should not be an issue as it is available separately). Not an option. Next I asked for a replacement of the entire unit. Not an option as it was unavailable (see my previous comment about the plug). I pointed out that the exact same item was listed on Amazon (not a reseller) with a different title, for the same price. Still not an option as (and I quote) "it's a different item". After 40 minutes on the phone I was asked to order the patio cleaner - forty quid(at my expense) and they would refund the cost. Initially I agreed as I'd lost the will to argue any longer. Once I'd ended the call, I reconsidered. I've now requested a full refund, and ordered the other (same) item as I hope it will a) have a UK plug, b) have a WORKING patio cleaner and c) have nothing else that is faulty.

EDIT: I've received my replacement unit today (with UK plug - hooray) and interestingly a few other parts that were missing from the previous order. The Patio Plus attachment has an additional piece that converts from bayonet to quick-fit - meaning I can use the full lance plus about 4 inches of connector!! It also has some other nozzles for the patio plus in a separate small bag. No instructions supplied so not sure how they are fitted.

Nilfisk C110 3-5 PC X-Tra Pressure Washer Patio Cleaner Set with 1400 Watt Motor

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic washer for a good price., 9 Dec 2012
On paper, this is a good price for what seems a good product. Unfortuately it is not very powerful. I borrowed an old washer from someone which was much smaller to clean my patio last year. This product was not powerful enough to bring it back to the same level of clean. WIth the high pressure nozzle I had to hold it around 1cm from the surface to get any decent cleaning - meaning back ache for me. I did try the patio attachment, but this just left swirls of 'clean' in the dirty surface. Again I had to physically hold this down on the surface - again leading to back ache. The patio attachment also fits on the end of the lance and was causing a slight bowing when I applied pressure to clean the surface - which cannot be good.

Pro's: Cheap price for a basic cleaner, good selection of attachments. Probably ok for washing a car where very high pressure is not required. Tools all stored on the device.

Con's: Low power, patio attachment not great.

Kudos to Amazon though as this was delivered within two days - with the Super Saver Delivery. They've also agreed to replace this item for the next model up with me paying the difference, which was not that much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5